Sponsored by:

Anyone considered an F360

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2009, 05:34 PM
rome
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone considered an F360

Prices are so low now it's hard to believe. I think I could sell my C2S and add a some $$ and get a 360 coupe, or add some more $$'S and get a Spider...I've always loved the look and sound of those cars, especially the Spider... and it's nice that you don't have to spend 200K to get a really nice low mileage one anymore.

Is this just a terrible idea??
Old 11-21-2009, 06:09 PM
matt777
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Even if a guy could afford the car I think you need much deeper pockets for maintenance so its a big step up financially.
Old 11-21-2009, 06:29 PM
justin993
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I have, but wouldn't sell my 993 to get one.
I'm sure Robin has a lot to add on this subject.
Old 11-21-2009, 06:29 PM
trophy
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by matt777
Even if a guy could afford the car I think you need much deeper pockets for maintenance so its a big step up financially.
+1, you need to have a look over on Ferrari Chat and ask a few questions over there.

There are some fairly simple maintenance items (belts etc) that require complete engine removal to complete. The 360 is a reasonably reliable car, not as good as a 430. but pretty good.

One of the other issues is Ferrari owners and expecially purchasers are finicky about service. Having service record is very very important, and even more so from an authorised dealer (helps maintain value of the car) This can drive up the cost of ownership considerable. If you find a car with service history you will need to keep up that history to keep the value.
Old 11-21-2009, 06:30 PM
friar93
Burning Brakes

Received 31 Likes on 15 Posts

ive been knee deep into the 360 and 355s and looking at maint. costs relative to price.

a real owner is probably best to chime in but ill share my opinion

of course, you can greatly mitigate your risk of a big maint bill with good ppi and service history(no surprise to anyone here)

1) the 355s seem to have the potential for bigger 'surprise' bills of $10k+ esp if the valves or headers are the issue.... which seems to be a material risk for this model

2) the 360s certainly have the $5k-$10k bills in their history but the ownership experiece seems to show that this is more of a predictable bill during major service rather than a surprise failure

my short assessment from reading and talking to owners is that the 360 long term ownership costs are more predictable and the $ per mile is the more important thing to plan for. you should expect a large bill every 3-5 years and not be surprised by it ...but when averaged over a 3-5 year period its not that bad.

the other factor to consider thats been mentioned to me is to consider the availability of good service shops......getting into any Ferrari and not having a couple options locally can really kill the experience and keep the car on blocks for weeks at a time.
Old 11-21-2009, 06:34 PM
justin993
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by trophy
+1, you need to have a look over on Ferrari Chat and ask a few questions over there.

There are some fairly simple maintenance items (belts etc) that require complete engine removal to complete. The 360 is a reasonably reliable car, not as good as a 430. but pretty good.

One of the other issues is Ferrari owners and expecially purchasers are finicky about service. Having service record is very very important, and even more so from an authorised dealer (helps maintain value of the car) This can drive up the cost of ownership considerable. If you find a car with service history you will need to keep up that history to keep the value.
Originally Posted by friar93
ive been knee deep into the 360 and 355s and looking at maint. costs relative to price.

a real owner is probably best to chime in but ill share my opinion

of course, you can greatly mitigate your risk of a big maint bill with good ppi and service history(no surprise to anyone here)

1) the 355s seem to have the potential for bigger 'surprise' bills of $10k+ esp if the valves or headers are the issue.... which seems to be a material risk for this model

2) the 360s certainly have the $5k-$10k bills in their history but the ownership experiece seems to show that this is more of a predictable bill during major service rather than a surprise failure

my short assessment from reading and talking to owners is that the 360 long term ownership costs are more predictable and the $ per mile is the more important thing to plan for. you should expect a large bill every 3-5 years and not be surprised by it ...but when averaged over a 3-5 year period its not that bad.

the other factor to consider thats been mentioned to me is to consider the availability of good service shops......getting into any Ferrari and not having a couple options locally can really kill the experience and keep the car on blocks for weeks at a time.
good info here
Old 11-21-2009, 07:11 PM
David 23
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rome
Prices are so low now it's hard to believe. I think I could sell my C2S and add a some $$ and get a 360 coupe, or add some more $$'S and get a Spider...I've always loved the look and sound of those cars, especially the Spider... and it's nice that you don't have to spend 200K to get a really nice low mileage one anymore.

Is this just a terrible idea??
I have been having the same thoughts.
Old 11-21-2009, 07:18 PM
David993S
Drifting

Received 155 Likes on 103 Posts

[QUOTE=trophy;7088271
There are some fairly simple maintenance items (belts etc) that require complete engine removal to complete. [/QUOTE]

Replacement of timing belts on the 360 does not require an engine out. It's done "engine in", and the cost will be about $1800 (or a little more) and although factory recommendation is every 3 years or 30,000 miles, which ever comes first, I've done mine on a 5 year schedule with no problems. The 3 year schedule is, IMO, overkill.

If you get a 360, a PPI is absolutely a must, and make sure it has up-to-date services and maintenance. Themain items to watch for are recent timing belts and recent clutch. The 360 is an incredible car but if you buy one with needs or one that hasn't been maintained, it can get expensive. My '99 has been completely reliable and trouble-free.

Just remember the old saying......."there's nothing more expensive than a cheap Ferrari" , i.e. beware of those $60,000 360's on Fleabay. They usually have needs from owners that deferred maintenance.

Cheers.
Old 11-21-2009, 07:38 PM
niche
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have, but wouldn't sell my 993 to get one.
I'm sure Robin has a lot to add on this subject.
+1 Ha! thought of Robin as well...
Old 11-21-2009, 07:55 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by niche
+1 Ha! thought of Robin as well...
He'd chime in, but he's out in the garage fixing his F-car.
Old 11-21-2009, 08:05 PM
niche
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

^^^^
Good one!
Old 11-21-2009, 08:06 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

I believe that Robin and Chris Walrod were none too impressed with the logic and engineering of Robin's 360, FWIW.
Old 11-21-2009, 08:39 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

have been looking at Ferrari F 355 and 360 prices for some time... in astonishment...

but not sure if it is a good idea to gossip about stuff like this.

shhhhhhhhh.
Old 11-21-2009, 08:57 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 486 Likes on 257 Posts

http://www.dupontregistry.com/autos/...?itemid=671486
Old 11-21-2009, 08:58 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
I believe that Robin and Chris Walrod were none too impressed with the logic and engineering of Robin's 360, FWIW.
We've worked on those $80k 360's, and they are BEAT! Makes working on them that much more frustrating!!

Quick Reply: Anyone considered an F360