Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Anyone considered an F360

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2009, 08:45 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

vjd3, cavlino, great posts and photos...

what an awesome thread... i have been looking into 360s for a few months, as i mentioned earlier -- you guys and this thread inspired me to get on Ferrari chat. very eye-opening...

currently resto-moding my 968 for very dependable supercar performance and eventually a mild, 505 hp Chevy LS2 engine will be going in -- thanks to Renegade Hybrids' 20 year r & d program, GM's multi-billion dollar engine program and your tax dollars. that's my 968 in the avatar.

You all can keep your 993's pristine... just pick up a 968 and build it for your daily, sledgehammer beat-on car... you can have an engine with a timing chain that barely asks you more than to change the oil, and do simple tune-ups every now and again. not keen to keep screwing around with these semi-overrated, Porsche engines, despite my love of ALL the cars... with about $47k in this car including the new engine and fresh tranny rebuild and higher 5th and 6th gears, i will have one of the best-handling 190 mph cars in the world... there's not one mechanical issue that hasn't been solved either -- the formula is a proven winner...

the only problem is -- that even with all beautiful mods i've had done up and down... and all the upgrades and cosmetic work inside the cabin, it's still a pretty ugly car.
Old 11-29-2009, 09:12 PM
Smiles
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fast_freddy
TPersonally I wouldnt touch a Ferrari with a thirty nine and a half foot pole. Beyond the fact they are not my "taste", their unreliability record is legendary and I'd fear driving it for getting stuck somewhere. I like to drive my cars, not look at them. It has nothing to do with money. I've had all manner of exotics/semi exotics over the years in Jaguar, Aston Martin, Lotus, Alfa Romeo and was miserable in owning them for the most part. Never again...
This depends on what Ferrari you're considering.

I break them down (from a little experience) into 3 categories:

1) Real V-12 Ferraris. These are probably the most reliable cars, especially sports cars, for their relative time. The Webers and twin 6-distributors, with normal chain driven cams (2 or 4) that could be worked on by any good Porsche mechanic.

2) 80s and 90s cars. From 308s to Testarossas, including the 348, the 355 and perhaps the 360. These cars are still quite reliable, but suffer from bad attention to detail. Their cams are belt driven, and the cost of replacing belts is expensive, but not as expensive as replacing heads or even pistons. Unfortunately the factory and the dealers convinced owners to spend the cam belt service price. This makes the cars seem overly expensive to maintain.

3) New cars: the 458, the 430, the 559, the 612, and future Ferraris. These ones definitely need dealer support. My personal opinion is that this is contrary to federal law, but a mechanic essentially needs a Ferrari diagnostic tool in order to do almost anything on a new car. And Ferrari intends to increase control over servicing. Any of us who have dealt with Porsche over our 993s (which is relatively good, but not great) can imagine how bad that could get.
Old 11-29-2009, 10:04 PM
rome
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From reading a fair amount on F Chat and there is obviously a big benefit to having chains instread of belts. Almost every 360 on Ebay talks about the belt service being done. l actually like the looks of the 360 a little better but chains seem like a good reason to hold out...
Old 11-30-2009, 03:14 PM
DanQ
Pro

Received 157 Likes on 69 Posts

http://supercarrentalsinc.com/the-co...-buyers-guide/

This is a good read on the costs of owning a 360. All in = $6.73 per mile!
Old 11-30-2009, 04:40 PM
friar93
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by DanQ
http://supercarrentalsinc.com/the-co...-buyers-guide/

This is a good read on the costs of owning a 360. All in = $6.73 per mile!

I saw this....but the maint prices this guy quotes seem out of whack.

in fact, isnt it to his benefit to promote high services costs to encourage potential customers of his business to rent vs own....$1,500/day
Old 11-30-2009, 05:51 PM
DanQ
Pro

Received 157 Likes on 69 Posts

Yes, I'm sure it is in his best interest. Still, he documents the expenses. I'm sure rental cars get beat on more than most private party cars so his numbers are worst case with higher mileage.
Old 11-30-2009, 05:59 PM
jaholmes
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have looked off and on and am surprised at the prices I am seeing as well. But the low price usually reflects neglected service and maintenance, or an older model. You may get lucky with an $80k 360 but you better have a damn good PPI.

I have wanted a 360 spider as a summer car for a long time now. I just can't figure out how to avoid the sales tax and license or I would do it.

Robin is probably the best resource since he jumped ship. However my bet is his $150k car is probably worth $120k now, maybe even $100k if the seller needs to get out in a hurry.

Quick Reply: Anyone considered an F360