Sponsored by:

FD Motorsports Does it Again!

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2009, 01:11 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
Default FD Motorsports Does it Again!

Sorry about the tiny images, I'm still figuring out how to manage iPhone shots ...
Baby needed new plug wires and I still don't have tools/garage space in NorCal, so a quick call to Darin and Mark for an appointment during my current visit and the deed got done ..... plus a few things ..

A nice morning drive of a little over an hour from Petaluma to Knightsen and on to the lift for surgery. Mark and Darin consult over the new harness and plan their attack:

After removing mufflers for access, it was determined that my drivers side can had met with a parking block in it's past and needed some work. Just so happened, Darin had a spare set of Stage I's and big factory oval tips available to swap out for my stock stuff so, it seemed like the right thing to do..... right???

Darin really tried to 'save' my old can but, damn, it died on the table

After a quick lunch run, they got it all put back together. During disassembly, the boys found a few loose vacuum lines and made any needed repairs to get things ship shape.

A quick polish with some jewelers rouge and a buffing wheel and the new tips look great!

They even hooked me up with a can of XENIT (attention Andreas...) and a pile of rags and I set to work cleaning up all of the engine components before re-assembly. After inhaling 'Agent Orange' all afternoon, I understand why the Cactus likes this stuff so much ... Did you know that these guy's are the new official distributor for XENIT in these parts? Somehow, four cans of the stuff and a black 'Mechanical Music' t-shirt ended up in my bag ... don't know how that happened ...

These guy's are great! I can't say enough about dealing with Porsche people who totally 'get it' when it comes to value, service and price. I probably don't need to tell you I drove home with the windows down so I could savor the sweet winding roar and every gurgle and pop on decel. I'll definitely be back. Next plan of attack .... swap out the tie-rods I bought from Reiner Fink, and do the Chris Walrod Control arm bushing upgrade ...
Old 11-21-2009, 01:36 PM
ReinerFink
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Awesome! I ordered up a case of Xenit with my 2wd conversion stuff from FD. You are right, its just the type of service you dream of from car people!

JP -- removing the lower front control arms is actually really easy if you have the right tool to pop the ball joint of the end of the trapizodial arm. I found a VW tool I found somewhere ages ago:

http://www.samstagsales.com/images/vw_matra_v176.jpg

Keep an old nut from one of your tie-rod ends and use that to protect the threads when you are popping stuff off. The boots are a bit of a pita -- you have to sort of flip them inside out and slide them on and then unroill them to the proper position. Some swearing involved but resist the temptation to just use needle nose piliers to pull on them :-)

Also, you might just let your alignment guy do this, since he will have to adjust the rods for proper toe anwyay (don't know if you can do this w/out taking stuff apart).

-reiner
Old 11-21-2009, 03:24 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

JP, it was great to meet up with a cool cat such as yourself.
Great, interesting conversation. Fun day, for sure.
Thanks for the tip on the place in Petaluma (Della Fattoria). We are going to plan a trip over for some good eats asap.

By the way, we tried the breads you brought last night... oh man. You sure they won't ship? The Meyer Lemon/Rosemary bread is just awesome. I've tried some the artisan breads in the grovery stores and the flavors tend to be way overdone in my opinion. This one is perfection!
No retail outlets carry their bread on our side of the world. Just saw that There are some restaurants in Sonoma area that serve it... The General's Daughter for one. Cool... we like that place a lot.

Have a great Thanksgiving!

Funny Xenit side note: My wife just asked me if Xenit would clean the tar splatter from the wheel wells of here Cayenne (recent repaving work nearby) since she said she saw Andreas clean machine here on RL and saw the Xenit talk.
I said "Sure". She says "Cool! if I can get those wheels off I can get in there and clean the whole thing".

Freakin' hilarious.

Now... I wonder if I can get her interested in the wheel wells on my turbo... the wheels are off right now waiting for me to finish "Walrod-ing" the control arms. Hmmm....
Old 11-21-2009, 05:44 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by ReinerFink
JP -- removing the lower front control arms is actually really easy if you have the right tool to pop the ball joint of the end of the trapizodial arm. I found a VW tool I found somewhere ages ago:

http://www.samstagsales.com/images/vw_matra_v176.jpg

Keep an old nut from one of your tie-rod ends and use that to protect the threads when you are popping stuff off. The boots are a bit of a pita -- you have to sort of flip them inside out and slide them on and then unroill them to the proper position. Some swearing involved but resist the temptation to just use needle nose piliers to pull on them :-)

-reiner
Thanks for the tips, Reiner, they will come in handy very soon ...

Originally Posted by MarkD
JP, it was great to meet up with a cool cat such as yourself.
Great, interesting conversation. Fun day, for sure.
Thanks for the tip on the place in Petaluma (Della Fattoria). We are going to plan a trip over for some good eats asap.

By the way, we tried the breads you brought last night... oh man. You sure they won't ship? The Meyer Lemon/Rosemary bread is just awesome. I've tried some the artisan breads in the grovery stores and the flavors tend to be way overdone in my opinion. This one is perfection!
No retail outlets carry their bread on our side of the world. Just saw that There are some restaurants in Sonoma area that serve it... The General's Daughter for one. Cool... we like that place a lot.

Have a great Thanksgiving!

Funny Xenit side note: My wife just asked me if Xenit would clean the tar splatter from the wheel wells of here Cayenne (recent repaving work nearby) since she said she saw Andreas clean machine here on RL and saw the Xenit talk.
I said "Sure". She says "Cool! if I can get those wheels off I can get in there and clean the whole thing".

Freakin' hilarious.

Now... I wonder if I can get her interested in the wheel wells on my turbo... the wheels are off right now waiting for me to finish "Walrod-ing" the control arms. Hmmm....
Gotta love it! Fun for the whole family, eh? Glad you liked the bread. The downside is, you judge all other bread from that benchmark and become very jaded, very quickly ... I'm sending you an email shortly with the link for the Della cafe's weekly Friday night wine/dinner bash and a short list for our next project. Thanks again, guys!
JP
Old 11-21-2009, 05:47 PM
mongrelcat
Drifting

Damn, I wish the FDM shop was closer to me.

Thanks for the report JP.
Old 11-21-2009, 05:54 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Mongrelcat,

The drive from Seattle to Knightsen is just a tiny bit longer than Santa Cruz to Knightsen... and well worth the trip! Darin & Mark are awesome.
Old 11-21-2009, 06:00 PM
mongrelcat
Drifting

Originally Posted by ca993twin
Mongrelcat,

The drive from Seattle to Knightsen is just a tiny bit longer than Santa Cruz to Knightsen... and well worth the trip! Darin & Mark are awesome.
Steve, I know exactly what you're saying.

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...torsports.html

Couldn't have been happier with the work the guys did on my squashed beetle over the summer..
Old 11-21-2009, 06:21 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by ca993twin
Mongrelcat,

Originally Posted by mongrelcat
Steve, I know exactly what you're saying.

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...torsports.html

Couldn't have been happier with the work the guys did on my squashed beetle over the summer..
Yeah, we were talkin' trash about both you guys yesterday, just the good kind, though I'm feelin' pretty fortunate to be so close by ...
Old 11-21-2009, 07:00 PM
Nollie
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

FD Motorsports is constantly helping folks. I ordered a fair amount of my winter project parts from them they seem to have just about everything. If they don't they can let you know where to get it. And they go the extra mile. I couldn't find the tripple socket bits for removing the flywheel so Mark located them for me and purchased them on my behalf. Now that is service! Keep up the great work guys.
Old 11-21-2009, 07:54 PM
Arena993
Race Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Cool. Any plans for a Southeast branch of FDM? Stage II's, Stone Guards, Golden Rod, Black T-shirt on my car and a few other oddities from these fine gentlemen. We need you out here. Good work guys.

Mike

Quick Reply: FD Motorsports Does it Again!