Sponsored by:

Lock Troubleshooting

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2009, 11:30 AM
CincyScott
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 58 Posts
Default Lock Troubleshooting

Ok, I'm now thoroughly annoyed that my locks don't work correctly. If I lock my car with the fob, it clunks, then beeps. Obviously, this means one of the switches isn't working right, since all of the doors are closed.

I took it to the dealer and they plugged it in to the computer, but the computer on the car won't tell them which switch is bad. Besides replacing all of them to figure out which switch is bad, is there a logical way to determine it?

I can't crawl into the trunk and close it to see if the light stays on...I'm too big
Old 11-20-2009, 12:02 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

Find out where the switches are connected & do a general continuity test on them, or unplug them one by one & see when the alarm works.
Old 11-20-2009, 12:26 PM
CincyScott
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Stealth 993
Find out where the switches are connected & do a general continuity test on them, or unplug them one by one & see when the alarm works.
I thought of that, but if you unplug them, won't it cause it not to work no matter what?
Old 11-20-2009, 12:41 PM
Texas993
Race Car

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Hooked it up to the computer.... that is really funny. Darned dealers.

I just replaced the actuator in one of doors. Not too expensive. And an easy DIY. Is that the solution?
Old 11-20-2009, 12:46 PM
CincyScott
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pjconner
Hooked it up to the computer.... that is really funny. Darned dealers.

I just replaced the actuator in one of doors. Not too expensive. And an easy DIY. Is that the solution?

Beats me! I have a buddy who is a Master Certifiied Porsche tech, so he looked at it for me on a Saturday...no cost deal. I'd bet it is the driver's, because it gets used the most, but I don't want to buy a bunch of switches for no reason.
Old 11-20-2009, 02:31 PM
hoggel
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

It is easy to check all of the switches but I'm pretty sure that only the door switch causes a beep and no lock when you press the fob button.

For the door switch. Open the door and move the latch on the door like it was shut. Remove the switch from the door jam. Make sure that the the switch and the wire are not touching anything that would be a ground. Press your fob button. The door should lock and the alarm should be set. If it still doesn't work that door switch is not the problem, check the other door.. BE SURE TO RELEASE THE DOOR LATCH BEFORE YOU CLOSE THE DOOR.

To check the front hood and rear bonnet switches open the lid. Is the under hood light on? If it's not the switch is bad or the bulb is bad or the fuse is blown. If the light is on move the latch like the lid was shut and the light should go out. BE SURE TO RELEASE THE LATCH BEFORE YOU SHUT THE HOOD.
Old 11-20-2009, 05:09 PM
CincyScott
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by hoggel
It is easy to check all of the switches but I'm pretty sure that only the door switch causes a beep and no lock when you press the fob button.

For the door switch. Open the door and move the latch on the door like it was shut. Remove the switch from the door jam. Make sure that the the switch and the wire are not touching anything that would be a ground. Press your fob button. The door should lock and the alarm should be set. If it still doesn't work that door switch is not the problem, check the other door.. BE SURE TO RELEASE THE DOOR LATCH BEFORE YOU CLOSE THE DOOR.

To check the front hood and rear bonnet switches open the lid. Is the under hood light on? If it's not the switch is bad or the bulb is bad or the fuse is blown. If the light is on move the latch like the lid was shut and the light should go out. BE SURE TO RELEASE THE LATCH BEFORE YOU SHUT THE HOOD.

Thanks, will try that tonight!

Quick Reply: Lock Troubleshooting