993 Forum 1995-1998

MO33 & Monroes

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2009, 10:51 PM
johzev
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MO33 & Monroes

Well I'm about to go ahead with MO33 Springs and new monroes. My car just turned 60,000 miles and the suspension is all original. I've been fretting over this for awhile with the other option being PSS10's.

I know most of you guys figure I'm crazy to install new monroes but I'm paranoid the ride comfort will be compromised with the PSS10's. My car is used strickly for weekend road trips and comfort is important to me. I have original 17 inch cup wheels and plan no change

If I was positive that ride comfort would not be compromised I would probably go with the PSS10's as I'm sure they are a superior piece of equipment.

I know there have been a number of postings on the topic but not necessarily from the comfort angle Anyway I would love to hear from any of you that maybe share my desire for ride comfort and have upgraded your suspension.
Old 11-17-2009, 11:03 PM
2Many Cars
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm interested in this too. I'd like to lower the car but keep the compliant ride, I'm not going to track it and need the relative comfort to keep SWMBO happy. I'm not a fan of Monroes but assume they can't be total junk or Porsche would never have specified them as original equipment - shocks are just too important to handling. I'm sure PSS10's are a great piece of kit but spending the extra dough and then leaving them dialed to full soft all the time seems pointless.
Old 11-17-2009, 11:31 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

The M033 springs alone will do it for you, even with Bilstein HD struts/shocks. M033 springs are pretty comfy, even on bad roads.
Monroe products are not the best out there but they are fine as OE replacements and will refresh the ride/handling.

It sounds like the right fit for what you want and the car will still feel great.

Until you drive a 993 with PSS10s...

In all seriousness, it is all about how you are going to use the car.
Old 11-17-2009, 11:35 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 483 Likes on 256 Posts

That reminds me, I was going to restring my wooden tennis racquet... right after I get my leather ski boots re-soled.

Last edited by jdistefa; 11-18-2009 at 01:02 AM.
Old 11-17-2009, 11:42 PM
timothymoffat
Rennlist Member

Received 1,026 Likes on 458 Posts

If you are considering PSS10s as an option, go ahead and do it. The ability to fine tune the ride is what makes this setup so nice. I've got H&R springs with Bilstein HDs on the 97 and it can be a bit harsh on certain (bad) types of pavement. The 95 has PSS9s, st @ 4 (1 = stiffest on the 9s), and the ride is firm but never harsh.
Old 11-17-2009, 11:43 PM
berni29
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi

This is an interesting thread for me also. My starting position is a bit different, but my aim similar.

My 1994 993 C2 Tip has dome 185k miles and still has its original rear dampers and suspension. The fronts are Bilstein sports which were changed 85k miles ago (one of the originals had a leak). I am very interested in comfort and hate being bounced about and a crashy ride. I also like to be able to get over speed humps (many where I live) without slowing to 5mph.

However, I like a sharp handling car and want to feel the road. I have only had the car a short time, and actually it does not drive badly at all. While I was musing about dampers and springs etc on a UK 911 forum someone kindly offered me a low mileage standard set up very cheaply. So I will in all probability buy and fit that. What I will be doing though is fitting RS steering arms and replacing every suspension bush. Hopefully just the bushes and not the arms as well if my ball joints are ok. I will be going for the Elephant racing harder compound ones. I know that this may well introduce a bit more NVH into the mix, but I am totally OK with that given that it will sharpen the car up significantly I think.

I think the standard shocks and springs are pretty well matched. If you take a car to the track then it is a different ball game of course. Oh, and a proper geometry and corner weighting is a must also.

All the best

Berni
Old 11-18-2009, 12:36 AM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

Find a local guy with PSS10's & ask him for a ride.

Yes, they are stiffer then stock, but ride very, very nice. Really, they are only slightly stiffer then stock M030 stuff, but the 10's work better over the smaller bumps, & really only become stiffer on bigger hits.

I also can NOT fault you for going the OEM route, after all the stock stuff works really well, but will just fail way to early.
Old 11-18-2009, 07:11 AM
scott watkins
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

http://www.carnewal-europe.com/cpx_p93001.htm

Installed this setup and couldn't be happier.
Old 11-18-2009, 09:03 AM
User 121721
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Bilstein HDs and M030 springs are much more comfortable than the stock setup IMO.

2+ on driving/riding in a good non-oem setup before you make your decision. That is what I did and it convinced me without a doubt to go with the HD shocks.
Old 11-18-2009, 09:23 AM
Stewart
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

I replaced my worn out Monroes with HD's a couple of years ago. My C4 had the M033 option from new. I use the car every day and [even on our rubbish roads here in the UK] find the ride quality fine - actually similar to my wife's BMW 330D Touring with 18" run-flats. OK the ride can be a bit 'jiggly' at very low speed, but is so compliant otherwise and a dramatic improvement over worn out Monroes - you just don't realise how bad they've got until you change them. I didn't have the extra long threads on the HD's, but the ride height is fine and still lower than the stock springs. I've not tried the adjustables as my focus was budget without an expectation of doing track days.
Old 11-18-2009, 09:43 AM
dcdude
Drifting

With Euro MO30s, Bilstein HDs and 18"s I, too was very concerned that I went overboard. Instead, I feel that I could totally daily drive this setup. It's very comfortable and "factory" feeling. My 69 year-old dad loves to bitch and moan about comfort, and even he didn't complain. My only concern would be potholes, and 17" wheels can provide improved defense against that. Personally, since my car is a weekend driver, I'd seriously consider the more aggressive H&Rs if I had to do it over again.

Don't grandstand with the Monroes. Might even hurt the value of your car relative to others that were done "right" .
Old 11-18-2009, 09:46 AM
97_993C2
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

I also found the HDs and M030 more "comfortable" than the stock setup, but that was because the Monroes were already shot at 30k miles and not damping out the bumps. However, I should state that I prefer a bit firmer ride. If comfort is your highest priority, then the Monroes may be the right choice. Just be aware that from my experience and the experience of many on this board that they will wear out fairly quickly - some have reported as little as 15k miles. Your comfortable ride may have been due to non-functioning shocks.

BTW I hear from people who have had both that the PSS9/10s can be a more comfortable ride than the HDs, especially when dialed down. Also, I am assuming we are talking about ROW M033 springs to lower the car?
Old 11-18-2009, 09:49 AM
randytrish
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I went against the grain and purchased the M033 set up through Sunset last winter and I am very pleased. I was also concerned with ride quality. It lowered my car a little over an 1" in the rear and almost 1.5 in the front. I knew I wasn't going to track my car and the price difference was also part of it. I know you can recover some of the cost when you sale, but I'm not planning on selling. I only drive my car between 3 - 5k yearly so I figured the monroes would last a while.
Old 11-18-2009, 10:02 AM
Ed Burdell
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

+1 for ROW M030 + Bilstein HD's on 18's. Far better ride than a worn oem setup and transforms the car's handling. I wouldn't put Monroes back in, ever.
Old 11-18-2009, 10:27 AM
air eater
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Burdell
+1 for ROW M030 + Bilstein HD's on 18's. Far better ride than a worn oem setup and transforms the car's handling. I wouldn't put Monroes back in, ever.
+1

I drive every type of paved roads here in northern AZ and can't find any fault with this setup.
If I had planned to track the car, I would have opted for the PSS10s.

Quick Reply: MO33 & Monroes