Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DIY steps for HID kit?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2009, 05:15 PM
911ist
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought the HID kit from www.ddmtuning.com and they actually have a great DIY installation manual along with pictures and simple instructions. The only thing its wrong at is that you do NOT need to modify the housing in order to put the bulb in...it slides in perfectly the way it is. I am not familiar with the kit you purchased but I assume it's very similiar. You can download the instructions here:

http://ddmtuning.com/support/index.p...mid=15&nav=0,1

Good luck!
Old 11-16-2009, 06:21 PM
matt777
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 911ist
I bought the HID kit from www.ddmtuning.com and they actually have a great DIY installation manual along with pictures and simple instructions. The only thing its wrong at is that you do NOT need to modify the housing in order to put the bulb in...it slides in perfectly the way it is. I am not familiar with the kit you purchased but I assume it's very similiar. You can download the instructions here:

http://ddmtuning.com/support/index.p...mid=15&nav=0,1

Good luck!
Thanks for the link. Those are the best instructions I have seen. I believe that the kit SharpHID supplies is the DDM kit but the instructions are not the same.
Old 11-17-2009, 12:15 AM
matt777
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I ended up doing the install tonight. Here are a few notes.

The install took a little longer than 20 minutes. First of all, the online DDM instructions are for putting the hardware in the headlight bucket in the fender and not inside the trunk. I really don't like how the ballast mounts on the drivers side doing it this way. There is no large flat surface. Its difficult to tie the wires up too. I think I will move everything to inside the trunk and run the wires through the existing large grommet if possible.

I got to use my new $50 multi tapered drill bit. These things are great.

I did have to grind the headlight openings to get the bulb in. It seems some bulbs need it and others don't. It is a very minor job with a Dremel and a mini carbide burr.

The bulb base is larger than the stock bulb so the retaining clip doesn't fit well. I did bend it a touch and it should stay.

I found that the passenger side headlight release lever was missing the retaining clip. It must have broken off at some point in time. These things must pull out easy. Wasn't there a rash of thefts on the expensive 996 headlights?

End result - the headlights are much much better than stock.
I took it for a little test drive and no one flashed me. The car sure loved the 42F temperature. I'm happy. Now the parklights look weak. Perhaps I'll try some better H3 bulbs.

Quick Reply: DIY steps for HID kit?