A Practical Question about owning a 993

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2009, 07:49 PM
shamrock
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Rinty
+1

It its use as a daily driver involves a lot of idling in heavy urban traffic, you could argue that the car is not practical right now, as the SAI ports may clog regularly.
Originally Posted by gtroth
At $5~$6 / gallon
Sorry the quote is mixed up!
My plan is to drive into work in my 993 the day I retire , I've got another 17 years to go

I'm paying about $1.80 a litre right now , AND I get a $2000 car tax bill each year (Car tax is predicated on engine size in Ireland , the upper band is payable for 3 litres and above) ... This does not dampen my enthusiasm for the car. If anything it makes me appreciate each mile all the more , if that makes any sense!!

I think when it comes down to it you guys will shrug off these higher prices when they come (Heaven knows what I'll be paying at that stage , all the more reason to enjoy every mile!)
Old 11-12-2009, 09:33 PM
Rinty
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

...you guys will shrug off these higher prices...Shamrock
And for many owners, that will not be an issue in any event, because their cars are not driven in the urban environment, outside of which they deliver good gas mileage.

And, of course, the OP's question was framed in the context of use as a DD. Once you take it out of that use, a whole other set of factors come into play.

Last edited by Rinty; 11-12-2009 at 10:07 PM.
Old 11-12-2009, 09:50 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by dcdude68
I'm in the Alternate Fuel Vehicles business. Once we move off of gasoline, the 993 will not be "modern" anymore. As we speak, I have a few traditional gas station customers (Shell) installing natural gas dispensers (CNG) right along side the gasoline dispensers. Other technologies will also take hold, and this "transitional" period may last the rest of our lifetimes, but it has begun.
My "other" daily driver is a F-250 V10 4x4 truck with utility box and powertailgate. So what? Well, I run dual fuel, propane and gas. Most of the time I run propane, with injectors rather than the old fashioned intake type systems. Runs like a charm with that big V10, my fuel consumption cost is half, and runs very clean (judging by the plugs, etc). When I need a kick, I drive the 993. Best of both worlds, and I would consider propane to be an alternative fuel. Been running propane in my truck(s) for over ten years now.

I still have no urge to upgrade the 993 to something more modern, but at times I will admit to getting fustrated driving it in city traffic. The truck is easier, its big (so people give way), automatic, and I just cruise above the traffic. But take the 993 on the track or open highway...that is a different story!

Cheers,

Mike

Cheers,

Mike
Old 11-13-2009, 12:12 AM
Topless in Temecula
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wrestled with the upgrade to a newer Porsche idea and looked at targas, a turbo cab (996) and drove a very nice speed yellow 2006 997 cab. Most were in the low $50's to the mid $60's. But I realized that my 993 drives so much better than the 997, IMHO. I felt more in touch and less isolated from the car in the 993 than I did in the 997. Looks like my 993 is here for the long-term and my wife is planning on what to do with the $30+K I would have spent on it - she's such a helper! (Actually after 40 years I know she'll save it and that's how I can afford the toys from time to time.
Old 11-15-2009, 08:59 AM
Rinty
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

...I wrestled with the upgrade...Topless
Quite frankly, if I came into unlimited funds tomorrow, I would not get anything different. I would install a G50/31, LWF, and some other mods, but that's about it.

I don't think anything newer, faster, or whatever, could increase my enjoyment of ownership.

But at 61, after having owned a number of bikes and cars during my life, I hopefully, should be able to figure out what I like.
Old 11-15-2009, 10:28 AM
BlackCar
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So many cars today have more HP, more electronic bells and whistles, and almost drive themself with park assist, warnings about lane drifting, and more. On days when I want that, I drive the other car. Other days, the 993 is a change to real driving. I have enough HP to break any US speed limit in about 5 or 6 seconds, and more than enough top speed.

The kicker is that my 96 C4 still gets unsolicited compliments. The other day walking into a local restaurant, a middle aged lady is coming out with her husband and kids. She looks at me and says "nice car." Do you think she would have said that if I had a 2010 S4 or some rice rocket.
Old 11-15-2009, 12:24 PM
Bergamasco
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

The only car I am swapping mine for is a 1997 - 993TT! ..... and I can be quoted on that. LOL I have had mine for one year now and I plan on driving a 993 for many years to come. I don't use my car too much (1500-2000 miles) per year so I am not concerned at this point about future gas prices nor the impact of my car on the environment. I am still amazed with all the SUVs, trucks and vans that are being driven around with only the driver and nothing in tow.
Old 11-15-2009, 08:38 PM
bluejam
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Peter(from Temecula) explained it for me. I felt isolated from the car when driving the 997. The 993 is much more fun to drive with the feeling of being "at one with".

One of my biggest fears is the gov't utilizing GPS to monitor driver's speeds. At that point, I will have to sell.

Quick Reply: A Practical Question about owning a 993