Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default flat spot tires

Is there a way to fix flat spot tires?
Or is the only way by replacment?
Old 11-08-2009, 02:51 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

You can either have them shaved (so they are round once again) or replace them,.....
Old 11-08-2009, 06:14 PM
trophy
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Shaving them can help, it depends on how badly flat spotted they are. If you use the car on the track unfortunatly they will always "stop" on the flatspot area and keep locking up... If the flatspot was caused by locking the wheels and they generated alot of heat, the rubber changes (just like heat cycles in tires, they can only go through so many).

I have always just replaced them, find someone to shave them (should be cheap) as the starting point, if it works great otherwise get your self some replacements.
Old 11-08-2009, 07:12 PM
944/951guy
Three Wheelin'

Never heard of shaving....

Have you guys ever heard of rotors being so rusting from a car standing to the point of where it feels as if the rotors are warped when driving the car?
or could this really be a tire problem?
Old 11-08-2009, 07:22 PM
trophy
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Steve W would be able to give you a name of someone there in OR where you could get them done. Shaving is done regularily by track junkies to reduce tread block movement and the subsequent temperature issues.

Just because the rotors are rusted doesn't always mean they are warped. I would have the runout of the rotors checked, I assume you have driven it enough now that there is no more rust? If it is only surface rust drving is ok ish, if there is a ton of rust I would have them re-surfaced.

For a car like yours that has sat for while it is prudent to pull everything off and check them, it could be rotors or the tires. Do you have access to a wheel balancer? If so spin up the wheels and have a look, could also be bent wheels. This really is a process of elimination. For locals to do the work I would see Steve W, I haven't had work done by him, however when I had some issues he was very helpful and spent quite a while on the phone with me..
Old 11-08-2009, 09:03 PM
944/951guy
Three Wheelin'

Thanks for the advice.
I have drivin it for about 7-9 miles and the rust isent gone.
I lifted the front end and spun the tire by hand and saw that there is a flat spot, Doesent seem like much of a spot but probably enough to be part of the problem.
Im almost certin the rotors are not bent, there is NO way someone would drive the car with the way it is when you try to stop.
I think it is pretty simple but I will see. I think it is the flat spot plus the Rust that is left that is making this possible. I will drive it more and do some hard braking and see if it helps.
Old 11-09-2009, 12:12 AM
RL Technical Advisor

It seems like we are discussing two separate things here: rusty rotors (they do not warp) and flat spotted tires,...

I need a LOT more detailed information here to be able to offer anything constructive beyond what I've already written,...
Old 11-09-2009, 12:20 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Most tire shops that I've spoken with won't even think of shaving a used tire, lest road grit damage the cutting blades. Also, at least with MPSC's, Hoosier R6's and BFG R1's (all R compound track tires), I have never had an issue with permanent flat spotting.
Old 11-09-2009, 12:31 AM
944/951guy
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
It seems like we are discussing two separate things here: rusty rotors (they do not warp) and flat spotted tires,...

I need a LOT more detailed information here to be able to offer anything constructive beyond what I've already written,...
I dont think you guys understood my first post.
It "feels" like warped rotors when you step on the brakes, However I dont think thats what it is. and I was asking if you have ever heard or seen anything like that happen from rusty rotors (I mean get the feeling of warped rotors) not getting warped rotors from rust.
Old 11-09-2009, 12:42 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by 944/951guy
Is there a way to fix flat spot tires?
Or is the only way by replacment?
I dont think you guys understood my first post.
It "feels" like warped rotors when you step on the brakes, However I dont think thats what it is. and I was asking if you have ever heard or seen anything like that happen from rusty rotors (I mean get the feeling of warped rotors) not getting warped rotors from rust.
Your first post, as well as your thread title ("flat spot tires") makes no mention of warped/rusty rotors, but only references flat spotted tires, which is probably why everyone was discussing, er, flat spotted tires.
Old 11-09-2009, 12:45 AM
944/951guy
Three Wheelin'

My fault. Your right. Sorry.
I posted about the rotors later in the thread.
I just meant to say that I didnt mean I think the rotors warped because of rust.
Old 11-09-2009, 12:45 AM
944/951guy
Three Wheelin'

Good eye..
Old 11-09-2009, 01:04 AM
RL Technical Advisor

In conclusion, I'd ask (assuming that you have a vibration):

1) Did you actually flat-spot your tires (which is visible by inspection while rotating the wheels)??

2) Did you check the axial runout of your brake rotors to see if they are damaged?

Vibrations can be caused by a multitude of tire problems as well as some brake-related issues and worn front suspension bushings. Some detective work may be in order to find the source of the problem.
Old 11-09-2009, 02:18 AM
944/951guy
Three Wheelin'

1. Yes I lifted the car and did see a flat spot when spinning the wheels by hand.
2. Axial runout? not sure what that is sorry.

Also Vibration only comes when I brake. The faster I go the worse it is. Would flat spot tires cause pushback (or vibration) on the brake pedal?
Old 11-09-2009, 03:34 AM
ReinerFink
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Axial runout? not sure what that is sorry.
You basically mount dial gauge to where the caliper goes and measure the height to the rotor surface as the rotor is turned.

What I am guessing is that you have a bit of pad deposition, and a few good panic stops from 85mph down to 20mph will clean the rotors up and that should be that.

If your tires sat for a long time (talking 10s of months or so) then they can develop a flat-spot. This is different than the "I flat spotted my tires because I forgot my car doesn't have ABS".

To eliminate that, just swap tires with a friend and buy him a beer.

Quick Reply: flat spot tires