993 Forum 1995-1998

my new nussbaum lift

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2010, 09:08 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 679 Likes on 474 Posts

Originally Posted by Ahsai
Also, the Hemi lift has a footprint of 39" (wide). The Nussbaum is 69" wide. No comparison in terms of stability for sure.
I could extend the base to provide more stability without adding any height.

This is a tough call. First it was a Backyard Buddy four poster, then a scissors lift. We'll see. Each has its advantages.
Old 02-15-2010, 09:41 PM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 224 Likes on 141 Posts

Has anyone cut their floor and set the lift down in? Would be pretty cool if it was level with the floor.
Old 02-16-2010, 06:03 AM
dutchcrunch
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default custom ramp

ILXR8 Which brings me to that piece of plywood in the background with ribs attached to it; is that an owner-fabricated ramp used to drive up onto this lift?

one thing i notice is when you post a picture people are good about looking the things in the backgound, so be careful what you do not want to be seen that large piece of plywood with the ribs on it was used to make a transition ramp from the street to the drive way, for some reason here in south corolina they leave this large hump on the curbs that is contant and continues into the side walk rather than make smooth transition for each drive way, its almost like driving up a curb. I made this ramp so when the delivered the lift i could use the pallet jack to pull the crate up in to the garage. glad i did as it would have been impossible with out the ramp.
Old 02-16-2010, 08:37 AM
manila3
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Cactus
Has anyone cut their floor and set the lift down in? Would be pretty cool if it was level with the floor.
I was thinking the same thing and covering it with tiles to make it disappear but it would make it difficult to move it around and defeat the purpose of being mobile.

At a height of 102mm or 4 inches it would barely clear a ROW set up or not even. I hope to see more feedback as my future garage just broke ground a week ago and would be pouring cement in a months time.
Old 02-16-2010, 09:59 AM
dutchcrunch
Rennlist Member

Default height

well if you are certain that the lift will meet all your need in that fixed location i guess that would work. I have low ceiling and not to mention a beam above so depending how i load the car backward or forward i need to be able to move the lift.

4 inches might be to high for some cars but this could easily be resoloved by placing a 1 to 1 1/2 inch board under the metal ramp to create a step and now your at 2 1/2 to 3 inches, i am pretty sure that if your car is lower that that you will have more problem that just getting on the lift.
Old 02-16-2010, 11:17 AM
dutchcrunch
Rennlist Member

Default sunken lift

if your about to pour a floor and not sure about which lift you will use i would at least pour 6 iches so that if you decide to go with to 2 post lift you will have a solid base, 4 iches is just a little thin to me, can never go wrong with beefier you know.

no matter which lift you go with each has its pros and cons. now if you have plenty of room , lets say 3 car garage then that different but in your standard 2 car garage you have to be realistic as to what you will give up as far as space.

a mid rise lift is a happy medium, what sold me on the nussbaum is i want to have access to the center of my car or any other car. you can do all the maintenace on your porsche and granted you cannot stand up to work under the car but haVE YOU EVER TRIED TO WORK STANDING UP UNDER a car its not that easy either. if you have a nice creeper you can work under and jump right up to the top of engine no problems. put your tools on the ground that are easily within reach.
if you have a car on a 2 post you need a table or somethin to set tools on or you will have to reach for the ground. to be honest if i had the room in my garage for a 2 post lift i would have to have 6 inches of concrete or forget it. 4 inches might hold but not for the long haul. thats just my opinion and you know what they say about those.

what ever lift you get spend the money on the best model you can afford, and make sure you can drop your engine and what ever you might need to do as it would suck to buy a lift if there is a job that you cannot do. granted you probably will not be in the center much but you might want to inspect those center fuel lines or work on the shift mechinism or what ever.

there is one thing that is unclear about the nussbaum lift that people do not know about the nussbaum.. the ealier models have a mechanical locking mechanism, from the control panel there was 2 hydraulic lines 1 line was used for the lifting rams so the shared the same hydraulic circuit and the 2nd line was used for the mechanical lift. so what the pros and cons of the older model,

1. you have a mechanical lock

2. if the system breaks for what ever reason you are not going to get the car down because of the mechanical locks, you need to lift the car a little to disengage the mechanical locks so the car can come down.

3. it going to be a pain if your 39 inches in the air, try to jack a car up and put stands under, not saying it could not be done but man that would be hard.

4. if one of the hydraulic lines fail you back to item 2 above , remember the 2 liifting rams share the same line.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
the newest version which i have and is now being sold is different... nussbaum does not explain this well enough for people to understand so i will do my best.

1. no mechanical locking mechanism. but a hydraulic lock. the 2 lifting rams are independent of each other. so if one line fails not to worry the other ram will hold.
the nussbaum hydraulic rams are huge, very huge. in the event that 1 ram fails , lets say a hose blows, not to worry the other ram will hold. the lift cannot come down on the other side as they are tied together via the equalizer bar i think that the name of it. this bar is 1/4 thick 2 1/2 hollow round bar and then inside of this bar is a solid metal rod that fill that bar. if you look the x bars that piviot they are solid 3/4 inch thick by 3 inches steel and they are solid with stratigically placed reinforced plate steel to keep it from twisting so the lift is not going nowhere, thats is how the lift is able to allow you to lower the car in the event of power/unit or whatever failure because you do not have to come off any locks . inside the control panel each hydraulic system is total independent and when the lift is raised and stop the PRESSURE ports and RETURN ports are blocked off so the will be no sagging, this is what nussbuam refers to non bagging in the discription. so in reallity, need to keep it real the only way the car is going to come down is if both hoses blow apart at the same time. i seriously doubt it. i work on aircraft for 20 years and never seen both systems fail at once. but i cannot say it would never happen. i just want to be honest and not blow smoke. you do need to inspect the lift and of coarse if you see a leak you need to fix it. i have used this lift sevel times and the is not the slightest leak or moisture anywhere, the line the rams nothing. i cannot express how well built this lift is you have to see it.

2. i prefer the newest model as it is important to me that i be able to get the car down should anything happen, i do not want to even imangine trying to remove a car from a broken lift. this lift is german CE certified and i trust it. gotta have faith in something. but i wanted to be honest about the lift for those considering it and need all the details. if your worried you could always used a jack stand. pros and cons.

3. the control panel is not a box with a pump with a plastic container hanging on the bottom, no way . inside is a safety fuse for the motor and a complex hydraulic block with various electro valves that control the ram, no plactic tank. the motor is submerged in the tank so its cooled and self priming. it has a dip stick and a lower tank drain plug for when you want to change fluid which nussbaum recommends yearly. the control panel is heavy, real heavy . seeing how large the lift rams the unit does not struggle at all as a matter fact the hoses dont move, unless your going down and that maybe a little movement, i mean little. the motor operates on 220 single phase which is available at any house, so that also helps too it being 220 vs 110. the chinese lifts if you look at the hose you see it jumping all around like they are using low volume and higher pressure to do the same job as nussbaum is unsing volume and lower pressure with larger hydraulic rams to do the same. thats what makes this unit superior and more realiable and easier on the componets hoses , moter ect. believe you me the did not skimp on the components. now if you looking for something to add that they should of did thats different. all i can say is its beefy well built, actually over built and it lifts the cars effortlessly everytime. and my lights in the garage do not flicker when i use the lift, i seen that in the utube movie i posted ealier.

3. the are grease fitting installed to grease the upper ram coonection.

thats all i can think of, but if you need any detailed pictures or anything let me know
Old 02-16-2010, 07:16 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dutchcrunch
1. no mechanical locking mechanism. but a hydraulic lock. the 2 lifting rams are independent of each other. so if one line fails not to worry the other ram will hold.
That worries me. I prefer to have a fail safe that is not related to the original system.

If a hose fails, what is there to prevent both rams from bleeding down?

I would need a diagram of the hydraulic system to understand how it works.

Also if one ram fails, I hope that torsion tube can take the load.
Old 02-16-2010, 07:26 PM
dutchcrunch
Rennlist Member

Default hose failure

i descibed that the 2 hydraulic systems are totaly independent and the torsion bar engineered to handle the load. its ce certified and sure this was tested. if one hose fails the other will hold the load its independent.
Old 02-16-2010, 07:29 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dutchcrunch
i descibed that the 2 hydraulic systems are totaly independent and the torsion bar engineered to handle the load. its ce certified and sure this was tested. if one hose fails the other will hold the load its independent.
Thanks for the info.

I just looked them up in Germany and will stop by to have a look at one this coming June. They're just off the A5.

Once I'm there, I'm sure they'll give me the complete rundown.
Old 02-16-2010, 07:51 PM
dutchcrunch
Rennlist Member

Default lift

yes that would be great, better to hear it from from nussbaum. please follow up on what they say.

my take on the design is the risk factor is quite low and they are willing to sacrifice the mechanical lock in trade off so that the lift can be lowered in an emergency.

on the previous model i belive you could get the car down providing the lifts stops working because of motor failure or lack of electricity. but all the hoses had to be intact no leaks , but you had to have a remote hand pump and open various valves to lower the car which could be dangerous if you did not do it correctly, more than likely a technician would have to come out to do it. dont quote me on this but i am pretty sure from the research i have done.

remember this , if you build a lift that is of this design it had to be built to handle this situation and all the bases have been covered.

those lifts that have safeties built in have it for several reason, either 1 of the 2 rams can not handle the load if one fails or more likely , the rams if the unit has 2 are on the same circuit, so if you have hydraulic failure your screwed you will not get the car down till you fix the system.

nussbaum has been buiding lift for a long time and i am sure they are not selling no bullcrap. i talked personnally with nussbaum and they told me that the lift was designed with the intension and safty factor that a person will be under the car. i spoke to them directly in germany.

the reason i wanted to dscribe this so people would know first hand abouth the lift.

listen to that lift from you tube as the mechanical lift goes up, that metal mechanical locks sound it makes does not sound like dense quality steel, sounds tiny. i am not making this up and if there is something bad about the nussbaum i own i will say it in a heart beat. again pros and cons
Old 02-17-2010, 09:27 AM
manila3
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the detailed info on the Naussbaum which the catalog does not clearly describe. I should check which model they offer here.
I do like classic cars but would prefer new technology on lifts.
Old 02-17-2010, 10:02 AM
dutchcrunch
Rennlist Member

Default lift info

no problem, just wanted to let everyone know what to expect so you can make a clear decision.
Old 02-24-2010, 08:19 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

I called the US representative...no answer and the mailbox is full.

Is this a one-person operation working out of their basement?
Old 02-24-2010, 08:46 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by IXLR8
I called the US representative...no answer and the mailbox is full.

Is this a one-person operation working out of their basement?
You can try Chad at http://www.bowlinent.com/lifts/nussbaum_sprinter.php
They ship everwhere within the US. He's very responsive with email and phone calls.

No affilication. Just a happy customer.

Quick Reply: my new nussbaum lift