Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Bilstein Pss10's or HD's on a C4?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2009, 03:58 PM
alpinadvl
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I also have a 993 C4... and have decided (after much debate) to go with Billstein HDs and M030 setup
Old 11-04-2009, 04:43 PM
911CabSteve
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a C4 and track it with my H&R springs, HD's, and TRG adjustable sways at least 7 times a year.. The HDs handle great on the track and are not too harsh for the street..

I found that the most critical item for the track were the TRG adjustable sways (F 25mm R 22mm).. They completely eliminated the car's huge ploughing tendancy which is inherent in the factory set-up..
Old 11-05-2009, 12:08 PM
Zuffenhausen :O)
Intermediate

Thanks all for your help.

Will give this serious thought, looks like its 50/50 overall between the Pss 10's and HD's, boy have you all have given me a headache with my decision, anyhow I'm happier with the PSS 10's now or am I?

I'll be surprised if coil overs arn't on the car, so once again thanks for all the comments, it's appreciated.
Old 11-05-2009, 12:18 PM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I've had PSS9s and JIC, and liked the JIC better. Firmer on the road, yes, but better on the track without being insanely stiff on the road. And I never adjusted them. If I had, I probably could have had a better mix road/track.
Old 11-05-2009, 12:44 PM
air eater
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I put the Bilstein HDs and M030 setup on my C4s two summers ago and am quite pleased with the street handling , height and ride quality.
The M030 suspension package got rid of the SUV ride height and the Bilsteins firmed up the ride.
I don't track the car, so I thought it wouldn't made economic sense to spend the extra money for the
PSS9 setup.
If you track the car and need the adjustability, then its a no brainer.
Old 11-09-2009, 07:20 PM
orangecurry
Burning Brakes

Received 400 Likes on 277 Posts

Originally Posted by 911CabSteve
I have a C4....

I found that the most critical item for the track were the TRG adjustable sways (F 25mm R 22mm).. They completely eliminated the car's huge ploughing tendancy which is inherent in the factory set-up..
bingo!

Don't get lost over here Zuffster.
Old 11-09-2009, 08:42 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 863 Likes on 568 Posts

Originally Posted by cgfen
i have a 96 4S with B 10's.
I like them for their adjustability for track days, but even when set to the softest setting, #1, i wish the ride was more plush.
if you use low profile tires, (30 series), i think you'll find the ride quite stiff even when set to full soft. Setting #1 is more "harsh" than the stock dampers were on my car.
And i drive in So. Cal. where we have quite smooth roads!

cheers

Craig
Another comment.
I just did an AX this weekend.
Without the ability of being able to adjust the coilovers, i would have had to deal with ugly understeer and inability to get the rear of the car to rotate, ( i had changed ti different tires which dramatically changed chassis dynamics.
I tweaked the fronts to #3 and the rears to #10 and had a car that behaved as i wished.

So for me, the PSS10 adjustability is more important than the plush ride of the HDs.

cheers

Craig

What do you mean by "track day"?
Old 11-10-2009, 12:56 AM
Paul E. Dodd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 11 Posts

I had Bilstein HDs on US M030 springs and thought I was happy, until I changed to single-adjustable Koni Sports (same springs and no coilovers due to SCCA Solo classing rules). The HDs were much harsher than the Konis on full soft, while the handling with Konis turned up is far superior to the HDs. A slalom tankslapper on the HDs would easily become a spin; with the Konis it's almost impossible to spin the car in that situation, much more controllable, stable, and faster. YMMV on track vs. autocross.

My front Konis are the stock inserts (still available from some sources but becoming scarce). Koni custom-built the rears by cutting open the original Porsche M030 dampers and replacing the guts with Koni internals. <$1k for the set two years ago. Paul Kozlak used a similar Koni setup on his 993 to win SCCA Solo Nationals back in 2005.

Of course, if I could have, I would probably have just gone with coilovers as my car sees little street use anymore. Just thought you should know there are adjustable solutions not requiring coilovers if you look hard enough.
Old 11-10-2009, 03:26 AM
G-Man993

I am in a similar situation and have have also been researching what upgrades to do to my 993 C4S. I now have a file a couple of inches thick with numerous different and somewhat confusing opinions on the best upgrades. I am in Australia so my car already has ROW lowered suspension so the cheapest option would be simply to swap over the shocks but I am thinking that if I am going to upgrade suspension then I perhaps should bite the bullet and do everything I want at once and spend the extra $.

I have always found BILL VERBURG's opinions and desires for his car to be well researched and would be keen for Bill to provide his opinions on the best list of suspension upgrades for a mainly street/occasional track use 993? This may be very useful for all of us
Old 11-27-2009, 02:26 PM
Intermediate

Quick update Guys

I've gone with the PSS10's, thanks all for your opinions its made the decision easier, have searched plenty of threads on here to as well as elsewhere for advice, the best user option for me was eventually the Bilsteins.

Now to source some sway bars, at the moment I'm favouring the M030 sport set up, although Rennsport adjustable are an option, I'm just a little unsure of the drop link situation and whether RS drop links or adjustable drop links would be necessary along of course with the possibility of overkill for my intended usage.

Once again thanks guys for an excellent pool of advice.
Old 11-27-2009, 02:41 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 529 Likes on 365 Posts

Originally Posted by Zuffenhausen :O)
Quick update Guys

I've gone with the PSS10's, thanks all for your opinions its made the decision easier, have searched plenty of threads on here to as well as elsewhere for advice, the best user option for me was eventually the Bilsteins.

Now to source some sway bars, at the moment I'm favouring the M030 sport set up, although Rennsport adjustable are an option, I'm just a little unsure of the drop link situation and whether RS drop links or adjustable drop links would be necessary along of course with the possibility of overkill for my intended usage.

Once again thanks guys for an excellent pool of advice.
In front the original and Rs drop links can interchangeably be used, the RS are just stronger.

In back it all depends on whehter the bar runs above or below the suspension arms. If above I'd use stock or the short Tarrets if below the RS are the best choice.
Old 11-28-2009, 06:40 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Bill Verburg
In front the original and Rs drop links can interchangeably be used, the RS are just stronger.

In back it all depends on whehter the bar runs above or below the suspension arms. If above I'd use stock or the short Tarrets if below the RS are the best choice.
Thanks Bill.

Quick Reply: Bilstein Pss10's or HD's on a C4?