Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do you ever wish you had a louder horn?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2009, 04:19 PM
matt777
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Do you ever wish you had a louder horn?

I got cut-off badly by some guy who decided suddenly while in the middle of an intersection and turning left in the inner turning lane that he had to get to 7-11 on the right. I was next to him in the outside turning lane. Fortunately I noticed that he was drifting out and hit the brakes. The Porsche horn just doesn't say much.
Old 10-31-2009, 04:26 PM
bart1
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hook it up the the alarm horn. That thing is loud!
Old 10-31-2009, 04:37 PM
Rinty
Drifting

Matt:

I'm thinking about wiring in some Stebel's. The BMW bike guys use these, and they'll lift a motorist's scalp.
Old 10-31-2009, 06:20 PM
Bearclaw
Three Wheelin'

Location: Seattle xburb - I can't see the Emerald City, but I know it's out there somewhere
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

The world needs less noise, not more. If you use the horn as a warning device while a situation is in progress, your attention is better spent on evasive maneuvers. If it's after the fact, you're just blowing off steam.

I've been in parts of the world where horn usage and driving competence is an inverse relationship. A horn blasting at people unfortunately doesn't teach them anything. Just my $.02.
Old 10-31-2009, 06:41 PM
BlackCar
Instructor

With people texting, listing to loud music, driving wearing headphones (yes, I see it), and in general not paying attention, a loud horn is a necessity as a warning...not to yell at them after the fact. I too wish the 993 had a louder horn....although I agree that avoidance is the best countermeasure. I put a pair of big red air horns on my old Miata, Still have them. It's a winter project to add them to the Porsche. Any idea if I need to change the relay if you add an aftermarket horn, or is it just plug and play?
Old 10-31-2009, 06:47 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by Bearclaw
The world needs less noise, not more. If you use the horn as a warning device while a situation is in progress, your attention is better spent on evasive maneuvers. If it's after the fact, you're just blowing off steam.
Hmm. In a big city with careless drivers, I'd say the world needs better and more attentive motorists. That, in turn, lessens horn use. The horn is only a symptom, not the cause.

Evasive maneuvers are great if/when you can make them, but sometimes you're boxed in and can't. A well used horn is often better than turning the steering wheel to avoid an accident.
Old 10-31-2009, 07:33 PM
matt777
Drifting

Originally Posted by Rinty
Matt:

I'm thinking about wiring in some Stebel's. The BMW bike guys use these, and they'll lift a motorist's scalp.
Maybe I should get one Rin. That is why lots of Harley guys have loud bikes isn't it.

Originally Posted by Bearclaw

I've been in parts of the world where horn usage and driving competence is an inverse relationship. A horn blasting at people unfortunately doesn't teach them anything. Just my $.02.
I see the horn as a way of indicating to the other driver that there was a close call. I'm not sure some of these drivers get it though. We all make mistakes but only some of us learn from them
Old 10-31-2009, 07:42 PM
NP993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would like a louder horn, but I'd also like to do a mod where I can press a button that makes the headlights retract and a pair of Hellfire missiles appear in their place. I'm in New Haven CT and I'm pretty sure that around a quarter of the drivers are on meth at any given time, drunk, or both. You need more than a horn in these parts -- you need firepower.
Old 10-31-2009, 08:21 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Noah
I would like a louder horn, but I'd also like to do a mod where I can press a button that makes the headlights retract and a pair of Hellfire missiles appear in their place. I'm in New Haven CT and I'm pretty sure that around a quarter of the drivers are on meth at any given time, drunk, or both. You need more than a horn in these parts -- you need firepower.
Noah,

Being a "period" guy, I'd opt for a mini-gun simply 'cause I've seen what they do (in a previous life) and it was effective.

Hellfires came along LONG after my time,.....

That said, there are occasional unforeseen situations where a good horn prevents a collision and for that, I'm grateful for such technologies.
Old 10-31-2009, 08:30 PM
aribop
Race Car

Originally Posted by Noah
+ 1000. Atlanta, GA. Home to millions of idiots!
Old 10-31-2009, 08:35 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

I'm with Noah. I have been thinking of installing a train horn in my Sequoia. One of the PCA members here has a train horn in his Silverado, and the noise that that thing makes is unbelievable.

Now, if I could fit it into my tiny Miata . . .
Old 10-31-2009, 08:37 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 418 Likes on 233 Posts

Matt,
My factory horns are very powerful - I have the trumpets behind the passenger-side headlight. I believe this changed during the '95 model year.

Andreas
Old 10-31-2009, 08:45 PM
aribop
Race Car

Originally Posted by AOW162435
Matt,
My factory horns are very powerful - I have the trumpets behind the passenger-side headlight. I believe this changed during the '95 model year.

Andreas
I have trumpets and mine are wimpy.
Old 10-31-2009, 09:11 PM
Rinty
Drifting

I agree that evasive action is your best first line of defence, and I use the horns maybe once a year, but when you have to, you want to be able to get their attention.
Old 10-31-2009, 09:28 PM
V
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsQftCK4Q6g

Quick Reply: Do you ever wish you had a louder horn?