Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are we Porsche snobs?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2009, 06:03 PM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

Received 464 Likes on 290 Posts

Didja ever notice that people who say "Por-shuh" are more respectful and knowledgeable of the marque than those who say "Porsh"? (or did I just offend someone?...Didn't mean to!)
Old 10-29-2009, 06:20 PM
Adrienne
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by wellcraft290
did you meet the lady in your profile pic with the car? if so I will tell everyone I drive a pcar
I met her much before the Porsche. In fact, she bought the car for me. (hint....signature....)
Old 10-29-2009, 06:24 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 5,176 Likes on 1,835 Posts

I guess it depends where you live. Here in Vancouver, especially downtown, West Van and west-side, BMWs, MBs and Porsches are a dime a dozen and you can easily spot a Ferrari, Lambo, Aston or Bentley within a few minutes of driving around. Driving an old 911 is not a big deal unless you're "in the know" about and appreciate aircooled cars.

A few months ago I spent a week in a small city where I saw all of three Porsches during my entire visit. Most cars were economy American or Japanese. I'm sure people there would probably view p-car drivers differently, even if it's an old 911.
Old 10-29-2009, 06:35 PM
wellcraft290
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 18 Posts

oh sorry. well guess you know your self before hand heheh
Old 10-29-2009, 06:38 PM
porschemikeandnancy
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Erik raised another interesting part of my original question, that is street behavior. I never "race" on the street. But quite often, and it seems almost always to be a tricked out Acura Integra or even a Civic (all with trumpet exhausts) and other obvious visual add ons (19" mag wheels, large spoilers, racing stripes and decals) will try to "engage" me. My conclusion from this is that many people have massive inferiority complexes or suffer from testosterone excess and want to prove their "worthiness" by showing up that "jerk Porsche owner".

I can imagine their evening cocktail banter: "I got into it with a Porsche this afternoon. I passed him going at least 110 mph and left him in the dust (my Acura/Civic is really a much better/faster/more manly car and clearly far better driven then some snob Porsche owner).

I really like one answer above. When asked simply say I drive an "old beetle". I'm sure you all have seen the license plate bracket that says: "my other car is a (Porsche, Ferrari, Corvette, etc).
Old 10-29-2009, 06:53 PM
verhag
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Frankly, I could care less what anyone thinks...other than me. I've waited 40 years for this and all I care about is hearing the sounds, feeling the car, and enjoying the drive, not to mention simply sitting and staring at it. Have you seen the "Are You Listening" ad...referencing the 993. That ad says it all.

Again, who cares what they thinks....?
Old 10-29-2009, 07:58 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 244 Likes on 135 Posts

I've been driving Porsches since I was a teenager. I don't think about it at all anymore, because, frankly, it just doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things. 36 years later, still driving them. I drove Porsches before driving a Porsche was considered "cool." Unfortunately, today, they're quite commonplace and there ARE a lot of less than desirables driving them. And yes, many in SoCal chose their Porsche over their living accommodations, which I consider absolutely bizarre behavior but we have all types, don't we?
Old 10-29-2009, 08:16 PM
RJT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 357 Likes on 158 Posts

Personally I don't care what anyone thinks of me.
I know I am not a snob.

I feel that people who tend to generalize people by what they drive or what they wear, or where they live are usually either snobs themselves or just ignorant.
Old 10-29-2009, 08:25 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01
I drove Porsches before driving a Porsche was considered "cool."

Sorry, but driving a Porsche has always been considered cool.
Old 10-29-2009, 08:31 PM
Redblurr
Racer

I really dont like being gaulked at by anyone at anytime. It is probably the biggest problem with owning a Porsche for me. I dont like the attention but I am in love with my car.(As much as one can be at least)
So I will keep dealing with the stares and rubberneckers and ricer guys who want to race. The times when someone corners me and engages me in conversation about P-cars I usaully get really shy because I dont really feel worthy of such a bad *** car. Silly me! But I find most people quite nice and usually treat me respectfully, and dont assume i am a *****.(or snob)
Old 10-29-2009, 08:48 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

Own more then one, & see how people react.

Really WHO CARES? I don't own the cars to show off to other people, or to make people think I'm rich (I'm FAR from it). Some people are like WOW it's a Porsche, while other are like, "that's just as old car". Some are super surprised to find out it's not a $100,000 car & that their SUV's all cost more.

There are all kinds of car snobs, there's the Audi click, the BMW fanboys, hell even the domestics, like the Neon & Corvette group. Of course there are all the Asian car snobs. No matter where you are or what you drive there will be some one with a better car & some one with a lesser car.
Old 10-29-2009, 09:13 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 871 Likes on 441 Posts

According to this: "A snob is someone who adopts the worldview of snobbery — that some people are inherently inferior to him or her for any one of a variety of reasons, including real or supposed intellect, wealth, education, ancestry, etc. "

I am not a snob.

At least, I don't try to be a snob, though some people might accuse me of snobbery. That, to a large extent, I can't help.

I have to watch my attitude sometimes in dealing with people I perceive to be stupid because they can't get my order right, help me fast enough, or give me the information I need when I want it.

Driving a Porsche has been an extreme luxury for me. It's been a great 11 years that is probably coming to a swift close due to a job change. I may have to sell mine, but I'll at least have had 11 wonderful years of Porsche ownership. I sure will miss it if it has to go, and will dream once again of owning one one day once it's gone. I work in an industry that very few people have a luxury car, let alone a 911. I'm the only one in my company that I know of, locally, that has a 911. One guy has an older Boxster and loves it. I tried for years to talk him into getting it and he finally did.

Cheers,
Steve R
Old 10-29-2009, 09:19 PM
blitz928
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What's the difference between Porsches and Porcupines?
Old 10-29-2009, 09:29 PM
bobesser
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The lady down the street from me calls me "James Bond?
Old 10-29-2009, 09:57 PM
John Velasco
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by vincer77
I grew up in Southern California and recently moved to TN near Nashville. In SoCal, the perception I have had with Porsche drivers has been that many are inside out porcupines. The status attributed to cars in SoCal is major. We sold our house in a very exclusive area and had to rent an apartment for a couple of weeks until we were ready to leave. It was unbelieveable how nice the cars were that people drove who lived in the apartments. Nicer than the average car in my multi-million dollar neighborhood. Many were Porsches. So my take was that many of the residents of the apartments chose the status of driving a nice car vs. prudent spending (i.e. buying a house etc...). I understand that many of these people were in transition like us - so I do not want to over-stereotype.

TN is much different. Though I live in a very wealthy, conservative county, cars do not appear to have nearly the same value placed on them. Multi-million dollar houses here (much rarer than in SoCal) have SUVs and pickups parked out font. Sure there are some nice cars, mostly BMWs. Porsches and other exotics seem to be owned by people who appreciate cars. Sure, there are the country music folks who do not know the difference between air-cooled an water-cooled engines, but others appreciate the machinery.

That is what I believe is the difference between the inside out porcupine and the Porschephile - the enjoyment and appreciation of the heritage, design and engineering that Porsches offer.

The Rennlisters mostly fall in the latter.

VInce
You can always sleep in your car but you can never drive your house...

Quick Reply: Are we Porsche snobs?