Sponsored by:

Drove a Panamera yesterday.......don't get to excited

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2009, 02:33 PM
993inNC
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TheOtherEric
Wrong; the dealer told me the dash and center console was taken from the Carrera GT. Boy did I feel dumb, having missed the connection!
Ohhhhh, that's it why didn't I see that........its all clear to me now

man someone was pullin' out all the salesmanship BS on that one....no? CGT....please, was he kidding? maybe in design style and even thats a stretch

Last edited by 993inNC; 02-06-2013 at 07:06 PM.
Old 10-27-2009, 03:44 PM
zone5
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For those who have driven it -- how does it compare to the new 7 series BMW which does come with a sport suspension option?

For my money, the BMW is far more attractive, spacious, and likely drives better.
Old 10-27-2009, 04:05 PM
993inNC
Race Car

hadn't driven the 7 but I'll go with you on the looks of it
Old 10-27-2009, 07:28 PM
ricster
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a entire paragraph, typed out for you. But I'm going to be the bigger one here and just say.........

Chris..just say it. I am a big boy. I was not trying to be smart mouthed but come on....the Panamera is an amazing vehicle. Looks are subjective...but this thing definetly motors.
Old 10-27-2009, 07:46 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by ricster
the Panamera is an amazing vehicle. Looks are subjective...but this thing definetly motors.
Yeah, I don't think any one questions whether a car with 500 horses doesn't "motor".

The problem is it's UGLY. Nothing is going to change that. Comments like "the looks grow on you", or, "it doesn't look as bad in person" are not the comments I want to hear when I just dropped $150K on a car. Period.

Next!
Old 10-27-2009, 07:46 PM
Leanit
Advanced

Hasn't VW already decided to kill the Panamera outright at the end of its 2-3 year life cycle run? That and one other model are basically stillborn. Somebody help me out. It was in "Automobile" magazine -- the article about how Porsche's attempt to take over VW by leverage backfired into the reverse when the markets tanked.
Old 10-27-2009, 08:03 PM
ricster
Banned

"If they kill it" it wont be for about 7 years as the model will run its course...they have too much invested to do that. I dont think its ugly...I think its an aquired taste...and like the bangle butt BMW...it will end up selling well and copied by the Japanese and everyone else...hell BMW is already doing a 5 series hatch. When something on the market is new..it takes time to adjust.
Old 10-27-2009, 08:14 PM
Leanit
Advanced

There's always a risk when you roll out a product that answers a question nobody is asking. Sometimes you invent a demand, and sometimes you don't. With everybody re-examining the ways they can get rid of 100 large in a hurry, I think it's a hard sell.

Whether it sells or not, it doesn't fit VW's product suite.

http://www.insideline.com/porsche/ca...-takeover.html

Last edited by Leanit; 10-27-2009 at 08:14 PM. Reason: Can't spell.
Old 10-27-2009, 08:22 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

"If they kill it" it wont be for about 7 years as the model will run its course...they have too much invested to do that. I dont think its ugly...I think its an aquired taste...and like the bangle butt BMW...it will end up selling well and copied by the Japanese and everyone else...hell BMW is already doing a 5 series hatch. When something on the market is new..it takes time to adjust.
Whatever words you wanna use...

Do you really wanna spend $150K for looks whose appeal you must "acquire"?

Not me. And not most people.

Most of the fools who buy this monstrosity will be label ****** with way more money than taste.
Old 10-27-2009, 08:42 PM
ricster
Banned

I just think when you view it in person its not that bad. I think it fills a needed product niche, as its a true 4 door luxury sports car. No other 4 door drives like it. I guess it sounds like I am in the minority here but...as I blow past with 4 people in the turbo...no 993 911 will be able to catch me on the motorway and its comfy and practical. I still love my 911 and its an icon...but if you need to carry 4 passengers I much rather have this than a 7 series or S class....agreed?
Old 10-27-2009, 08:47 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 5,040 Likes on 1,793 Posts

The winning move by VW would be to move the drive train of the Pana turbo onto the next gen S8. Now THAT would be something to lust after.
Old 10-27-2009, 08:53 PM
993inNC
Race Car

Chris..just say it. I am a big boy.
Nah, I'm gonna pass., thanks anyway. You have your opinions and I have mine. I didn't post the original thread for the sake of getting into witty pissing matches with people. If you like it, and would buy it.......enjoy. I happen to think its a useless POS VW's Phaeton had more like-able features if it didn't turn out to be an electrical nightmare for its owners (from what I understand but that's an entire other thread for another day).
Old 10-27-2009, 09:08 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

I just think when you view it in person its not that bad. I think it fills a needed product niche, as its a true 4 door luxury sports car. No other 4 door drives like it. I guess it sounds like I am in the minority here but...as I blow past with 4 people in the turbo...no 993 911 will be able to catch me on the motorway and its comfy and practical. I still love my 911 and its an icon...but if you need to carry 4 passengers I much rather have this than a 7 series or S class....agreed?
I'm gonna start sounding like a parrot, but the Aston Martin Rapide will do pretty much everything the Panamera can do, for around the same money, and is drop dead gorgeous.
Attached Images  
Old 10-27-2009, 09:23 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 5,040 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Originally Posted by goofballdeluxe
I'm gonna start sounding like a parrot, but the Aston Martin Rapide...
Nah, just like a broken record.
Old 10-27-2009, 11:35 PM
FlatSix911
Nordschleife Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Porsche Panamera To Be Axed in VW Takeover

Originally Posted by goofballdeluxe
I'm gonna start sounding like a parrot, but the Aston Martin Rapide will do pretty much everything the Panamera can do, for around the same money, and is drop dead gorgeous.
The Aston Martin is simply stunning ... while the Panamera is the ugly step child ...

Let's hope that VW management has better judgment than Porsche on the fate of this car ...

Porsche Cayenne, Panamera To Be Axed in VW Takeover
http://www.insideline.com/porsche/ca...-takeover.html

The Porsche Cayenne SUV and four-door Panamera could be on the chopping block as VW and Porsche wrangle over product portfolios.

MONICA, California — Get a good look at the Porsche Cayenne SUV. In the wake of the bizarre German corporate soap opera whose end will soon see the absorption of Porsche AG into the mighty Volkswagen Group, the controversial Cayenne — and even more astoundingly, the just-released Panamera four-door sport sedan — has no future after VW takes over.

Such is the report from Britain's Car magazine, which says a "massive U-turn in Porsche's product plan" resulting from the bitter VW boardroom triumph means Porsche will be forced to discontinue the Cayenne and Panamera after their product cycles are complete around seven years from now.

"VW Group has plenty of SUVs and saloons [sedans] — it doesn't need Porsche to build them," says the story, which should be music to the ears of Porsche faithful and critics who insist the tiny sports-carmaker did potentially irreparable harm to its brand by pasting the Porsche badge on heavyweight off-roaders and sedans.

But all isn't totally jolly for those hoping for complete restoration of Porsche's independence and uniqueness. Under the seemingly more brand-protecting plan of VW Chairman Ferdinand Piëch, Porsche will get back to making only sports cars — but probably will be sharing at least one platform with a future VW.

Piëch fought back viciously against the improbable but almost-executed plan of now-ousted Porsche CEO Wendelin Wiedeking for tiny Porsche to grab control of VW. Now that he's won and Wiedeking — the architect of Porsche's off-message forays into massive SUVs and sedans — has been forced out, VW and its board, led by Piëch, will be calling the shots. And Piëch, an intensely product-focused engineer, seems to be intent on unraveling Wiedeking's initiatives to expand Porsche beyond two-door sports cars.

But that doesn't mean Porsche won't be expanding at all. Car reports that the brand might use a version of VW's in-development Modular Sportscar Structure (MSS) for a future mid engine, entry-level model below the current Boxster/Cayman that would be the spiritual successor to the first Porsche, the 356. Volkswagen's vision of a lightweight and comparatively affordable mid engine roadster already has been previewed with the Bluesport concept, although that car is based on the underpinnings of the current Polo.

Porsche also reportedly will launch a new high-dollar supercar to follow up the Carrera GT, although VW watchers already have speculated endlessly about how the company that also owns Lamborghini, Bugatti and Audi AG, all with vital products in the supercar segment, will position a future Porsche entry into that league.

The backfiring fiscal overreach that almost brought VW under Porsche control isn't without certain non-product consequences. Qatar Holding LLC had planned to buy a hefty portion of Porsche to help the sports-carmaker out of the debt hole it dug in its aborted attempt to control VW, but instead hooked into a complex investment arrangement that will see the Qatar Emirate become VW's third-largest shareholder with about 17 percent of the company. The Qatar investment also will hold about 10 percent of Porsche Automobil Holding SE, Porsche's holding company.

Last edited by FlatSix911; 10-28-2009 at 02:44 AM.

Quick Reply: Drove a Panamera yesterday.......don't get to excited