Sponsored by:

Drove a Panamera yesterday.......don't get to excited

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 12:06 AM
Canyon56
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ricster
I just think when you view it in person its not that bad. I think it fills a needed product niche, as its a true 4 door luxury sports car. No other 4 door drives like it. I guess it sounds like I am in the minority here but...as I blow past with 4 people in the turbo...no 993 911 will be able to catch me on the motorway and its comfy and practical. I still love my 911 and its an icon...but if you need to carry 4 passengers I much rather have this than a 7 series or S class....agreed?
No, not agreed. I'll catch up to you in a CL65 or a S65. And with more comfort and style.
Old 10-28-2009, 12:16 AM
pete000
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am impressed with the engineering but I wouldn't own one regardless of its specifications.

I think not having a bench seat in the back like most of its competition does might hurt it a bit.

I am sure they will sell a bunch, and now VW might use it as a Phaeton replacement. I hear VW is concidering using all the Porsche platforms for VW product.
Old 10-28-2009, 12:50 AM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 5,040 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Ted, thanks for posting that. Absolute music to the ears of Porsche enthusiasts. Not only the part about Porsche get out of the SUV and four-door market but also the part about building a light-weight, entry-level model below the Cayman.
Old 10-28-2009, 12:57 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by jackb911
As good a driver as it may be, when I look at one it reminds me of a modernized 1941 Buick fastback sedan.

Except that to me, the Buick is more attractive.

Oh dear.
Old 10-28-2009, 09:49 AM
bluejam
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have no real opinion on the Panamera till I see it. I do know that I like the Aston Martin styling way better.
I must say that I absolutely love the Cayenne over all other SUV's and I am glad it is a Porsche.
Old 10-29-2009, 10:54 AM
ricster
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The way Porsche is heading with "shared platforms with 911's etc with VW's products..it is sounding like the end of a great car company
Old 10-29-2009, 01:01 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ricster
The way Porsche is heading with "shared platforms with 911's etc with VW's products..it is sounding like the end of a great car company
Some of what's been suggested by VW releases doesn't sound too bad.

I wouldn't lose any sleep if the Cayenne and Panamera went away to another brand in the VW group. Both cars lack any compelling value and neither supports the Porsche brand as I see it.

If the Cayman and Boxster continue in a less Porsche way, that would be a pity, but if that makes way for Porsche to bring a new entry level in the tradition of the 356, that could be appealing.

A successor to the Carrera GT is long overdue -- if it steps on the toes of the other VW brands in the half million dollar range, I don't think that niche is by any means overserviced. Anyone buying a Veyron or Reventon or whatever has the means to add cars to that collection -- they don't have to choose one, they just get one of each ...

As long as they build the next 911 (and the next) and so long as it has a decent flat six engine in pendulum fashion, then life goes on. Of course, if they could build some more 993's ...

As for "platform sharing" this kind of generic product planning doesn't mean just the chassis, it can mean suspension components, electronics (from suspension to stability to the climate control or on-board diagnostics) so it doens't necessarily mean the next 991/998 or whatever will share anything with the R8 for example.

Look at the mess VW made of the Gallardo while keeping the Murcielago intact. Let the VW "design by consensus" employees destroy a sacrifice like the Cayman and leave the 911 to the Porsche design and engineering people. Here's hoping.

In the mean time, I think I'll get a 993 C4S for each of my kids and a spare for myself, then just bubble-wrap them to be opened when ready . : )

Quick Reply: Drove a Panamera yesterday.......don't get to excited