Drove a Panamera yesterday.......don't get to excited

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2009, 09:52 PM
FGL28
Anjin San
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 993inNC
I agree with the statement that its not for everyone, I am one of those its not for (irrelevant of the fact that I couldn't swing the payment right now ). But again, as a "car guy" I appreciate a lot of different vehicles that "aren't for me", this one just didn't have any necessary redeemable qualities to me other than maybe a good bit more leg room than I am used to in a 4 door sedan. The "trunk" area (more of a hatchback really) wouldn't be enough for 4 people to take a lot of luggage in, so that's out. Without power seats the rear seats are horrible to sit in, not to mention the hard back front seats seem really out of place in a luxo cruiser.
Just really seemed like they tried to make a 4 door sedan out of a sports car, even the rear tail looks like a pregnant Cayman

To each their own, these are just my reactions. I want to feel the "man, got to have one of those" when I see a new car. I really only went to see if it was as fugly in person as in the pictues...........YEP!
I just have a few follow up comments.
1. I am going to drive 90% of the time so do I care about back seat comfort?
NOPE
2. I have trained wifey to pack light
3. We all know that the 993 is the pinnacle of Porsche styling and design. Everything else looks ugly.

And the Rapide has lots of personality mixed with English mechanicals.
Old 10-25-2009, 09:58 PM
993inNC
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by FGL28
I just have a few follow up comments.
1. I am going to drive 90% of the time so do I care about back seat comfort?
NOPE
2. I have trained wifey to pack light
3. We all know that the 993 is the pinnacle of Porsche styling and design. Everything else looks ugly.

And the Rapide has lots of personality mixed with English mechanicals.
1. Touche my friend, but.....for 90+ grand, it bess have a comfy rear compartment!
2. And the couple you travel with? trained them yet?
3. Amen, although I do REALLY like the GT3RS of late, its hard to pass on that one!
Old 10-25-2009, 10:57 PM
bloke
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I drove one last week. A C4S with alot of extras so the MSRP was in the mid 120k which is a big problem in my opinion. For a car with a price tag of 120k, I was expecting something special. Instead, I drove a slightly nicer version of BMW 550i which cost about half the price. Also, the truck or hatchback or whatever they call it is a joke and the back end of the car is downright UGLY. I walk over the a few times and try to convinve myself that it is alright but it really isnt. The fact that I had to convince myself the car looks OK isnt Ok.
I think people with be better off buying a nice 911 C2 for 75 to 80k and use the spare money to lease of buy a BMW 5 series.
Old 10-26-2009, 03:22 PM
sigf
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

I had the opportunity beat the sh*t out of one at Monterey. Took it on a 45 minute romp over the mountain and scared the sales rep. In sport mode, the car stuck and handled well under hard throttle and extreme breaking. The paddle shifting was fun and I was impressed by the torque and never felt out of control. All of the electronics and ergonomic features were beyond my capacity to appreciate since I feel the "primitive" feel of my 993 is the ideal ride. Cornering was a hoot so I would not discount this car from a performance perspective regarding a 4 door alternative to the P-car lines. Once the market accepts that fact that Porsche has expanded its brand options, I think this car can be a viable alternative to other higher priced vehicles, but should be a real treat when depreciated vehicles become available.
Old 10-26-2009, 03:43 PM
midnite993
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

At $45K, I'd hit it.
Old 10-26-2009, 08:12 PM
jackb911
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 55 Posts

As good a driver as it may be, when I look at one it reminds me of a modernized 1941 Buick fastback sedan.

Except that to me, the Buick is more attractive.

Old 10-26-2009, 08:38 PM
993inNC
Race Car

Originally Posted by jackb911
As good a driver as it may be, when I look at one it reminds me of a modernized 1941 Buick fastback sedan.

Except that to me, the Buick is more attractive.

........and with a bigger motor and more useful storage areas. May not stop as well, but you gotta give something up for utility.....right

hey nice little ride you picked up (in your thread)
Old 10-26-2009, 08:40 PM
H.H.Chinn
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

During the college football games this weekend the networks played over and over the latest Porsche commercial where they had filmed from a helicopter a pack of legendary Porsche street cars as well as race cars speeding over what might have been the Mohave desert, then out spawns the Panamera out of the pack as each of the cars branched out and stopped, forming the branches of a family tree. It was ugly and really not fitting. Come to think of it, I didn't recall seeing any 928's, 944's, or 924's in the footage unless they were waaaaaaaay in the background but $100k+ is a lot for a sedan!
Old 10-26-2009, 11:22 PM
_Nathan
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For a few more $$$ you can get a BMW 760i with a 536 HP 6.0 liter twin-turbo V12
Old 10-27-2009, 01:23 AM
Rinty
Drifting

One of the nationally syndicated columnists in Canada just wrote a piece on the Panamera, and was dazzled by it. He compared it to one the Mercedes models and one of the Audi ones (sorry, can't remember which).

This article helped me to think about this car in the context of other sports sedans, and not 911s.

While I can't relate to the Panamera, I hope Porsche does well with it. It's just too bad that they didn't contract the styling out to Ital Design.
Old 10-27-2009, 10:14 AM
midnite993
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by H.H.Chinn
Come to think of it, I didn't recall seeing any 928's, 944's, or 924's in the footage unless they were waaaaaaaay in the background but $100k+ is a lot for a sedan!
Porsche didn't want to remind people of the depreciation hit those cars are infamous for...the Panamera will be in the same boat and they know it.
Old 10-27-2009, 10:53 AM
ricster
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"irrelevant of the fact that I couldn't swing the payment right now"

This Chris is the sentences that sums up why you dont like the Panamera.
And if you think this car doesn't handle....it wasn't driven correectly in your presence or in your hands.
Old 10-27-2009, 11:01 AM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by bloke
... The fact that I had to convince myself the car looks OK isnt Ok...
I couldn't agree more!

Originally Posted by 993inNC
...The dash was Cayenne'esque...
Wrong; the dealer told me the dash and center console was taken from the Carrera GT. Boy did I feel dumb, having missed the connection!
Old 10-27-2009, 12:15 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 483 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by ricster

And if you think this car doesn't handle....it wasn't driven correectly in your presence or in your hands.
Old 10-27-2009, 02:27 PM
993inNC
Race Car

Originally Posted by ricster

Ouch nothing worse than being smacked from out of no where

I had a entire paragraph, typed out for you. But I'm going to be the bigger one here and just say.........

"You don't know me very well do you?"

Quick Reply: Drove a Panamera yesterday.......don't get to excited