993 Forum 1995-1998

OT : Porsche Factory on NatGeo

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2009, 11:31 AM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Kein_Ersatz
Did a tour 2 + years back, boxer engines were done by one guy, for all stations, he moved with the motor down the line.

Did another tour in early Oct. this year, engine assembly has moved buildings in Zuffenhausen campus now one guy does just one step on the boxer motor assembly for 1.5 hours then changes stations, but only 5 stations total per day, so lots of hands build a single boxer motor now. Made me sad. :-(

Assume this happened when they changed buildings.

I did get to see 2 white cup cars coming together on the assembly line that day, it was interesting to see that the factory staff seemed to pay "extra" attention to those two cars on the line. :-)
I also noted that they changed engine assembly buildings since our tour there in '99.

Regarding the single guy building, who cares as long as the underlying engine is engineered halfway decent. Which I think we can say was a bit of a problem starting with the M96's? Even a friend who just got Panamera training, I asked him about the 997.2 engine a couple of days ago and he just kind of shrugged and said "we'll see........"
Old 10-23-2009, 12:16 PM
993Brendan
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 19 Posts

I watched the last two minutes before heading to bed- can't wait to watch it tonight on the DVR!
Old 10-23-2009, 02:03 PM
RJT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 341 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by ironimages
Thanks for the heads up, it was a fantastic show! I'd love to see how the factory looked when they were building 993's
We did the extended tour in 1996 when they were building the 993's and I can tell you after watching the show last night that the building of 993's was much more hands on. I didn't remember seeing ONE robot in engine assembly. There were some robots in the plant, but not like now. The buildings pretty much looked the same as they did in the show, spotlessly clean and filled with a bunch of Hans and Franz's and a few Helga's thrown in for good measure.
Old 10-23-2009, 06:34 PM
dave911rsr
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That was a great show. I guess the plant modernization is what the Japanese showed them. I was thinking of what we heard about the old days, too. Like one man putting the motor together himself. I think the new ways are what made them save money and survive, though. They were hurting just before the 993 came. It cost less than a 964 and was a lot more car.
Old 10-24-2009, 02:40 AM
black ice
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

darn it all to hell, had to watch the 11pm showing and passed out on sofa halfway through.

Next showings.
Sunday 2am
Sunday 11am
Thursday 4pm

http://channel.nationalgeographic.co.../4545/Overview

dave
Old 10-24-2009, 09:35 AM
Kein_Ersatz
Rennlist Member

Received 246 Likes on 175 Posts
Default 12% Helga's

Originally Posted by RJT
. . . spotlessly clean and filled with a bunch of Hans and Franz's and a few Helga's thrown in for good measure.
During the tour my wife asked the question, how many females working there. The guide said 12%. My wife, being good with numbers, concluded, not on the line by any imagination. So must be the corporate population. Working the line in Leipzig, she saw 3 Helgas and in Stuttgart (didn't see the entire line), only saw 2.

I saw 100% Helga's in museum and Leipzig gift shop though.

They also said 3000 plus applicants each year for the 100 to 150 jounerymen apprentice openings they have. A 3-year program paid 1/2 by the government with an employment contract waiting for them when they graduate. No info on drop-outs along the way (if any).
Old 10-24-2009, 09:48 AM
Kein_Ersatz
Rennlist Member

Received 246 Likes on 175 Posts
Default Who built my engine?

Originally Posted by race911
. . . who cares as long as the underlying engine is engineered halfway decent."
Agreed, in the end, costs and quality are the the key, but the "old world craftsmanship" dose have a passing sentimental value in the market it would appear. Even to the extent, in the tour a few years ago, during the engine shop portion, the guide commented that race car owners would bug them continually about "who built this engine". When they got a "fast" one they wanted that same guy/gal to build the next engine/car they ordered. The guide indicated that would create havoc with their just in time just in sequence process, so they would not share that information with the owners.

Interesting, that is a "selling point highlight" with other niche car makers. I think AMG, Aston, Bentley, and maybe few others still put "name plates" on their engines. So someone must care, but to your point, does it matter in the end to quality, longevity, costs. Most likely not.

Quick Reply: OT : Porsche Factory on NatGeo