Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mobile phone delete from the side of the center console?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 03:26 PM
alexl911
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Mobile phone delete from the side of the center console?

Hi,

I have the Nokia mobile phone console which is screwed to the side console and has a speaker. It's not what seems to be referred to as the 'BAT phone'. I would like to get rid of it but I am told that I will have an opening which needs to be covered. Apparently there is an OEM part I can get to cover it. By any chance does someone know the part number?? Has anyone else done this -how difficult is the removal and do I have to do anything with the wiring?

This is the best image I could find:
Old 10-19-2009, 04:50 PM
race.it
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i too would be interested in the part number to cover the hole
Old 10-19-2009, 04:54 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I would suggest asking Gert at Carnewal in Belgium...or perhaps Jeff Clark at Sunset Imports here in the US.
Old 10-19-2009, 06:30 PM
rob964.c4
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you can remove the whole extra console and you wont see a thing after.

i left mine there and used it for the navi screen

Old 10-20-2009, 01:11 PM
V
Rennlist Member

I have this phone thing in my car too. I think it's a euro spec. thing, havn't seen it on the US cars. Mine has an Ericsson cradle with a mic wired to the a-pillar (and another mic on the SW column?). I am going to put a Tom-Tom iPhone cradle there instead and wire it to my Becker Traffic Pro. That way I can get music from my iPhone and a good SatNAV (TomTom software) and the cradle will hold and charge the iPhone. Pretty neat. Now I just need to get rid of the ugly roof antenna in the rear. Any ideas?
Old 10-20-2009, 02:00 PM
alexl911
Pro

Good point... I did not realize that it might be a Euro spec. I also want to gid rid of the stupid antenna! Any suggestions?
Old 10-20-2009, 02:54 PM
V
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by alexl911
Good point... I did not realize that it might be a Euro spec. I also want to gid rid of the stupid antenna! Any suggestions?
I was thinking that there might be some kind of rubber plug that you can buy to cover the hole after the antenna has been removed. But since this was never a US option, I'm not sure bumperplugs.com would have such a plug. (no affil). Otherwise one would have to repaint the whole roof, which is not desirable.

Alex - Since this was a euro option, maybe there are forums in Germany with people that have the same problem (and solution to it)?
Old 10-20-2009, 04:10 PM
alexl911
Pro

Originally Posted by vhanzon
I was thinking that there might be some kind of rubber plug that you can buy to cover the hole after the antenna has been removed. But since this was never a US option, I'm not sure bumperplugs.com would have such a plug. (no affil). Otherwise one would have to repaint the whole roof, which is not desirable.

Alex - Since this was a euro option, maybe there are forums in Germany with people that have the same problem (and solution to it)?
I was thinking that there might be a more modern looking aftermarket aerial -kind of like the shark fins you see on BMW's? I've posted the same question on a UK forum but unfortunately my German is not very good so those forums are out. Besides I think that every Porsche owner is here anyway
Old 10-20-2009, 06:36 PM
V
Rennlist Member

Yes, Rennlist rocks don't get me wrong. I'm sure these guys can come up with a solution. I know many guys on the 928/944 board converted to sharkfin antennas. I'm ditching my antenna. I like the clean look without. So probably a rubber plug for me if I can find one that fits.. Reception is not an issue anyways so no point in keeping the antenna IMHO..

Quick Reply: Mobile phone delete from the side of the center console?