993 Forum 1995-1998

Install Parrot RKI 8400, finished

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2009, 02:09 PM
EckFe1
Pro

Received 45 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Install Parrot RKI 8400, finished

I started the install today and it only took about 15 min. until I could make pretty good assumptions that it will be challenge.
There are good and bad news. The good ones are that the Parrot harness is almost plug and play. It already has the DIN plug that connects right to our Porsche harness in the dash. The antenna cable and antenna booster are OK too.
The kit that Rod Birch sells also has the male connector to the little yellow plug for the speaker wire cables. One immediate problem with the Parrot harness here is that it only has RCA out for one set of speakers. I want my set up to use the stock Nokia amp for now. So I'll have to cut in to the "speaker level out" cables of the Parrot harness and intall a speaker level input to RCA out device.
Also the "amp on" signal cable will need to be installed to the switched +.
So much for the electrical.
I hooked everything up, turned it on and it ran so no problems there.
Now come the bad news. The cut out in the dash is somewhat round in the corners. The head unit w/o faceplate on isn't round on the corners. I can take a file and make it fit. Nobody will see it later but the face plate is a bit wider all around. When the head unit is installed, it's set back in the cut out of the dash. The face plate will not fit to connect with the head unit. It won't go deep enough into the left over opening.
I can build a little spacer frame of app. 1/8" so I can mount it correctly but then it looks like it's sitting on top of the dash. Still not so bad but since it sits at somewhat an angle upwards, it want's to touch the switches for the mirror heater, front and rear fog lights, because they're at an somewhat down angle.
I'm at a stop right now, thinking about what to do at this point. I don't want to hack into the dash to enlarge the opening. I can't believe I even wrote this down as a thought, uhhhh!
I'm writing to Parrot too, to find out if there is anything else I can do.
I don't know why I always get the challenges.
Any input is welcome, sorry for the long post.
Ed

Last edited by EckFe1; 11-07-2009 at 04:33 PM. Reason: Finished install
Old 10-17-2009, 02:56 PM
Warpig
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by EckFe1
I'm at a stop right now, thinking about what to do at this point. I don't want to hack into the dash to enlarge the opening. I can't believe I even wrote this down as a thought, uhhhh!
Ed
All I can offer so far is some optimistic words. You get the challenges because someone wants you to better at whatever that particular challenge is then everyone else is, and when you conquer it, you will be. Believe it or not my Becker CR-220 actually has some faceplate fitment issues in my dash. I have taken on the challenge in a different manner. I'm getting ready to install an Alpine deck in my 993. Good luck, you will figure it out I'm sure.

Nick
Old 10-17-2009, 03:02 PM
pcarhombre
Rennlist Member

Hi Ed. I had gone to the old post to see what progress had been made with this unit. Glad to see your post. I guess it is always tough being the vanguard, but guys like me appreciate you for taking the first hit. I guess I'll slow my jets and wait and see how things develop with you. Hang in there; I'm sure you'll work it out!
Old 10-17-2009, 03:08 PM
boulderbobo
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by EckFe1
I started the install today and it only took about 15 min. until I could make pretty good assumptions that it will be challenge.
There are good and bad news. The good ones are that the Parrot harness is almost plug and play. It already has the DIN plug that connects right to our Porsche harness in the dash. The antenna cable and antenna booster are OK too.
The kit that Rod Birch sells also has the male connector to the little yellow plug for the speaker wire cables. One immediate problem with the Parrot harness here is that it only has RCA out for one set of speakers. I want my set up to use the stock Nokia amp for now. So I'll have to cut in to the "speaker level out" cables of the Parrot harness and intall a speaker level input to RCA out device.
Also the "amp on" signal cable will need to be installed to the switched +.
So much for the electrical.
I hooked everything up, turned it on and it ran so no problems there.
Now come the bad news. The cut out in the dash is somewhat round in the corners. The head unit w/o faceplate on isn't round on the corners. I can take a file and make it fit. Nobody will see it later but the face plate is a bit wider all around. When the head unit is installed, it's set back in the cut out of the dash. The face plate will not fit to connect with the head unit. It won't go deep enough into the left over opening.
I can build a little spacer frame of app. 1/8" so I can mount it correctly but then it looks like it's sitting on top of the dash. Still not so bad but since it sits at somewhat an angle upwards, it want's to touch the switches for the mirror heater, front and rear fog lights, because they're at an somewhat down angle.
Ed
Hi Ed, thanks for the post. I too am considering the Parrot unit. Sounds like you are pretty on top of things. I think we would be asking too much to think a 2009/10 product would just slip right in a 10+ yo car w/o some issues.

Hang in there, take your time and I'm betting you can sort it out to your satisfaction.

Please post some pics along you fitment/insatll journey.

As far as I know you are the first to install the Parrot unit in a 993.

GL and thanks for being a pioneer!

Bob-
Old 10-17-2009, 07:13 PM
hodmandod
Advanced

Ed
I saw this on the Parrot web site:

Parrot cables are compatible with your car

The installation of your hands free car kit does not need any specific adaptor

For the RKI8400, please see with your local local dealer the necessity of a faceplate

Philip
Old 10-17-2009, 07:40 PM
Arena993
Race Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Warpig

Sent you a PM.

Mike
Old 10-18-2009, 06:18 PM
P1CR
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Crap

I have one on order. Coming the 24th.

Is there a contemporary head unit that fits properly?

I really don't want to slice up my dash.

Keep us in the loop on your progress...
Old 10-19-2009, 03:41 AM
EckFe1
Pro

Hello,
Did some further measurements and the way it looks now is that the length of the face plate is right to the mm but the height is 1mm too wide.
The dash cut out is 58x258mm. Had to go to metric because it's more exact.
The faceplate is 59x258 and the corners of the face plate have less of an radius.
My solution to this scenario, I'll take the rear cover of the face plate off and have it shaved off 0.5mm on each length or until it fits. The wall thickness is good enough to do that w/o compromising integrity. One drawback is that the plastic is covered with some nice smooth matt black finish. As it's only the back cover, I'll leave it as is. Nobody will see it when it's installed.
BTW, my neighbor has a 2008 VW Touran with an aftermarket radio. We took it out and guess what, the Parrot didn't fit into the pocket either.
I contacted Parrot about it. Let's see what they come up with. I won't start messing with the case until I have an answer from them.
I'll post some pics, as soon as I have all the cables for the install. I decided to get an adapter and use the speaker level out to 4 channel RCA from the ISO connector rather then one set of pre-amp out.
I complained to Parrot that, even though it's got 4 channel control, it only has a 2 channel pre amp out.
I'll keep you informed. Thanks for your support and kind words.
Ed
Old 10-20-2009, 01:17 AM
Warpig
Pro

i dont think we have the same issue. I have not measured but it appears as if my CR-220 is just a hair too wide. It's probably 259 mm.

Nick
Old 11-03-2009, 03:29 AM
pcarhombre
Rennlist Member

Just checking to see if there are any developments. What gives guys?
Old 11-03-2009, 05:22 AM
C4 NLW
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For the CR 220 to fit you need to remove the mounting sleeve that is fitted in to the dash opening. It then slides in fine. There is also a rear mounting bracket that it slides into so if it refuses to go the last inch or so you need to get your hand under the dash and give it some persuasion. I actually had to tap mine over a couple of mill and then the unit slid in all the way.
Old 11-03-2009, 07:23 AM
EckFe1
Pro

I had to wait with the install because I ordered a high/low adapter with RCA's. I opted for a 4 channel adapter since the Nokia and the Parrot will support 4 channels. Everything is hooked up and connected electrically. I ran it to make sure everything is working and it sounds great.
There is also a mic with 2 heads. I decided to mount it just in front of the hub for the steering wheel, on the right side, by the wiper selector. There is a little area where it just fits. I routed the connector plug and wire through the back of that plastic housing which holds the blinker and wiper selectors. I took the speedo out and tilted it to the side so I could forward the plug to the radio opening.
The Parrot base unit fits fine when filing off or rounding off the 4 corners. I already had that done. I haven't had the time to take the cover off the face plate and get it modified. I'll do that this week.
BTW, the mounting sleeve needs to be installed to center the base unit in the dash slot. There is no benefit to leave that one out. The face plate won't fit any better this way. That's not a problem at all.
I got several emails from Parrot customer support and all of them said that there are no more design changes to this product.
One solution they gave me, I could use a spreader of some sort to pry open the dash opening by a bit. Some installers use those. Since it's only 1mm across the length of the opening, they said it's possible to do.
I don't agree with that kind of mod. If in 2 years I decide to buy something else, I have a butchered up dash or the glove box will start to rattle or a crack in the liner occurs, who knows.
I'll continue this week and let you know what route I went.
Just not sure if I can post pics, as non rennlist member. Never did in this forum anyways.
Ed
Old 11-03-2009, 07:57 AM
P1CR
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ed, can you give us some detail on the adapter?

Thanks!!
Old 11-03-2009, 02:21 PM
EckFe1
Pro

P1CR, you'll need 2 adapters.
One is the mini aux ISO to RCA, make sure it's a 4 channel and the other one is the speaker line to RCA converter. If you put in enough effort, you'll find just the right plug that fits to the ISO connector from the Parrot.
I did find the right one in Germany at www.aiv.de, as I live there now.
The part# is 630178. It makes everything plug and play but they'r redoing their website so I don't know if you can view it there.
It was just pure luck to find all plug and play parts that I needed.
If Germany has it, I'm sure the US will have it as well, if not better.
Hope this helped a bit.
Ed
Old 11-07-2009, 04:47 PM
EckFe1
Pro

I got it done.
I took the rear cover off the face plate and sanded down 0.5mm all the way around, always checking to ensure the fit into the dash.
The wall thickness of the cover is big enough to handle it. It's a bit tricky to get the cover off because of the front input receptacle with a small pcb and on the other side, the release mechanism.
Here the pics.

Harness is from radio to amp direction, Parrot ISO plug, mini aux to RCA, 4 channel hi/lo ISO converter to RCA mini aux.

I used 240 grit sandpaper, since it's only on the back side, nobody will see it anyways. I think I did a pretty good job.

This is where I put the mic. After I sync'd with the bluetooth cellphone, I kept making calls to find out where it would work best on a cab. This is my solution. The wiring went under the dash to the back of the base unit. I hope the wind noise would stay low when the top's down.
I did enough swearing so I hope it will give me lot's of joy in the next season.

Last edited by EckFe1; 11-07-2009 at 04:50 PM. Reason: Forgot last pic

Quick Reply: Install Parrot RKI 8400, finished