GT Evo tie rods vs. RS tie rods ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2016, 06:56 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 547 Likes on 380 Posts

Originally Posted by jscott82
Its a curve, so there is not a single point where it goes from "good" to "bad"...

I think the common consensus it once you get much below M030 (144mm) you could probably consider them... The factory drew the line at RS (124mm), so that's probably where I would make the switch as well.
As JS says there is a range
RoW M030 height is 144+/-10 in front RS is 124+/-10 in front as you can see top of RS is bottom of RoW M030, same sort of thing happens in back, but bump steer doesn't get really bad untill you get to the lower end of RS, sya 124 and under front and 107 and under in back, That's where the RS wheel carriers and tie rods and solid side mounts in back pay off.
Old 08-23-2016, 08:44 PM
DiegoR
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by OverBoosted28
Diego, there's the outer most subframe bolt head, to measure the front, and the subframe casting at rear, to get that height. What you want, is the tie-rod to sit pretty much parallel with control arm. Hope this helps.
Attachment 1082941

And there you go! Thanks for the info and images, that makes clear now how to measure mine (I have seen these images before but I wasn't sure to apply for this case).
Old 08-24-2016, 08:47 AM
MarinS4
Rennlist Member

Received 169 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by DiegoR
Dumb question but there's any reference value (height from certain spot/part underneat of the car to the ground) to know you need these parts? My RoW Carrera is lowered and perhaps I could benefit from these parts as I track it eventually.

Thanks
Someone needs to measure bump curves with and without RS/GT2 carriers to truly understand which ride height is best for each. Looking at control arm/tie rod angles would be the next best thing. Tie rod should be parallel to ground and control arm slightly pointed down (towards hub) for best suspension geometry on a strut based car if I recall correctly. I am a fan of setting the ride height around the above parameters first and formost (assuming sufficient shock travel and ground clearance).

On the street we often set ride height around a "look" without enough consideration on effected angles. On the track lower is better for the most part so we find the compromise between that and suspension geometry.

I don't like the mind set of "bump does not feel bad at xxx height". There are too many variables to consider like roads driven and drivers seat of pants calibration. Unless the driver has a chance to drive a properly setup car to compare the bump steer is often missed.

Sorry for all that. Too much coffee I guess. It's just good info that needs to be shared.

Quick Reply: GT Evo tie rods vs. RS tie rods ?