Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Getting desperate! Is a C2S with a tiptronic transmission worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 12:23 PM
speedy88
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the inputs.

My preference is a blue, yellow, red or rare Rivera (sp?) blue with the factory aero kit and sport seats. I saw an ad for one in Michigan, but it was Forest Green. Last one on eBay was Silver and didn't have sport seats. I have a yellow one for sale locally but no aero kit.

Here is the one I was talking about. Aero kit by no manual transmission. I do like the red interior. It's a 1998, last year of the 993, which is a plus. Looks pretty cheap. I assume the dealer will let it go for $38-$39K?

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...standard=false
Old 10-13-2009, 12:38 PM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 279 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by red96m3
Thanks for the inputs.

My preference is a blue, yellow, red or rare Rivera (sp?) blue with the factory aero kit and sport seats. I saw an ad for one in Michigan, but it was Forest Green. Last one on eBay was Silver and didn't have sport seats. I have a yellow one for sale locally but no aero kit.

Here is the one I was talking about. Aero kit by no manual transmission. I do like the red interior. It's a 1998, last year of the 993, which is a plus. Looks pretty cheap. I assume the dealer will let it go for $38-$39K?

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...standard=false

You're coming from an E55, please test drive a TIP before pulling the trigger. And I mean really drive it! Be patient, I'm sure that there's a lister here thinking about selling his WB.
Old 10-13-2009, 01:26 PM
skicoach
Instructor

I would have preferred a manual when I purchased my 98 C2S but I wanted a WB and the color and milage made the difference. After 3 years of ownership I can honestly say I prefer the tip. I use it almost exclusively with the activated switches on the wheel and find the overall driving experience better.
Old 10-13-2009, 02:01 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 5,005 Likes on 1,776 Posts

What's the hurry? I don't think we're running out of 993s. Take your time and buy what you want. If you want manual buy manual. If a tip suits your driving style better then go with that.

Aero Kit, sports seats and other options are easy to add. By buying a color combo you're not crazy about you could grow to love it but you also run the risk of never falling in love with the car.

I once bought a Polar Silver C4S with Midnight Blue interior. Not my first choice at all but everything else about the car was perfect. The color grew on me and I fell in love with the car but I still wished it was black on black.

In reference to the above silver car, red and blue interiors look horrible in pictures but look great in person. I had an 85 Gran Prix white Carrera with Chestnut (burgundy) interior and it was one of the most beautiful color combo 911s I've seen (and another example of a color combo I didn't like at the beginning). I personally think that red interior would be extremely hot in person and it looks great with Arctic Silver. The more I look at that car, the more I think somebody should ****** it up quickly.
Old 10-13-2009, 02:14 PM
nedsky
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a Tip and I like it. It's an automatic, but it's a Porsche automatic. In the manual mode you can give them pretty good hell if you desire.
Old 10-13-2009, 02:55 PM
fullbooker
Rennlist Member

I also have a Tip in my 96 Targa and I love it. Again, I always drive it in Tiptronic/manual mode like the others. Seriously, I do NOT miss the clutch pedal and the manual gearbox. I previously had a 1977 911S and a 1984 3.2 Carrera and this is just as much, if not more, fun to drive. I also doubt that there is any material difference in performance between the manual and tiptronic cars. Just my $.02.
In the end, its your decision. Buy what your heart desires, without regrets.

Phil
Old 10-13-2009, 03:16 PM
timothymoffat
Rennlist Member

Received 1,014 Likes on 452 Posts

No matter what transmission you decide on, DO NOT rush into buying a 993. Decide the basics first (coupe/cab, manual/tip, NB/WB, 2wd/4wd) and then stick to those decisions. If a Tip is what you want then by all means get a Tip. But this is something you should decide before looking at individual cars.
Old 10-13-2009, 03:44 PM
hoggel
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

I have no experience with a Porsche tiptronic transmission. Are they like a regular transmission or perhaps similar to a BMW E46 M3 SMG transmission?

Thanks in advance.
As others have said, the tiptronic is a fluid drive transmission unlike the BMW Sequential Manual Gearbox (SMG) or the new Porsche PDK.

My car is a tip even though I prefer a manual. Did you know the tip only has four gear ratios? I didn't when I bought mine. The silly story of my purchase is in this thread on Rennlist from a few years ago. With a do-over I would get the manual ... except I love my car. I have developed an appreciation for the tiptronic transmission but will convert mine to manual one of these days.

IMO a test drive in both won't help much. It takes hours behind the wheel of a tip to learn the nuances of the transmission. I'd suggest that you try to find someone near you who owns a tip, knows how to drive it, and will give you a ride.

If you are okay with an automatic then the tips are a good deal. If you'd rather have a manual the cost difference and the time spent looking for the right car will be insignificant over the long term.
Old 10-13-2009, 03:55 PM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 279 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by hoggel
I have developed an appreciation for the tiptronic transmission but will convert mine to manual one of these days.
I have the parts list ...
Old 10-13-2009, 04:08 PM
Falcondrivr
Race Car

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by fullbooker
I also doubt that there is any material difference in performance between the manual and tiptronic cars. Just my $.02.
Porsche's published data shows the Manual @ 5.4 sec 0-62, 12.3 0-100 MPH. Tip is 6.4 0-62, and 13.8 0-100. I'd say that's a substantial difference.
Old 10-13-2009, 05:08 PM
Birol
Intermediate

Depends on your personal taste.

A 993 with Girltronic is not something a true car enthusiast will die for,
but it's the only sportscar in which you can enjoy traffic congestions.
When it comes down the Tip is ok for cruising or travelling,
but if you´re a driver in the heart you´ll miss a further gear in between,
although shifting is possible it's made essentially for people who don´t like shifting that much.

3rd is too long when you go up from 2nd and the same happens when you change to 4th,
the gear ratios are not how they should be.
Reason is the automatic box comes (as known) from Mercedes,
not just people who have sportscars and sporty driving in mind.

If the 993 is for daily driving or leisure and travelling and you´re not stopping your time from A to B, a Tiptronic could be a good choice.
If you intend to go on track sometimes or like the immediate input after every gearchange,
if you like mountain roads and shifting down before curves,
then there is no choice.

Or buy both, one for the city, one for the weekend.
Old 10-13-2009, 05:12 PM
Dan V
Race Car

Anyone in the year 2009 buying a 993 for "0-62" times is already misinformed.
Old 10-13-2009, 05:21 PM
speedy88
Banned

Thanks again for the inputs. I will try to stay on the path of getting the right car (think.... aero kit and sport seats, and right color)... Just some cars are there are so close...

If what I have read so far, the tiptronic transmission is a regular automatic with manual shift buttons, similar to my E55 perhaps.

I can drive both transmission type. I guess I am getting sway by a car's pricing.

Here are some previous cars I owned before:
2005 MB E55 AMG - auto (current)
1996 C4S - manual (mileage was getting close to 100K before I sold it)
2004 BMW E46 M3 Convertible - manual
2002 BMW E46 M3 Coupe - Dinan S3R 462HP - SMG transmission
1999 BMW E36 M3 Coupe - Dinan S3 350HP - manual
2001 BMW E39 M5 - manual
1998 BMW E36 M3 Sedan - manual
1999 BMW E36 M3 Coupe - manual
2001 BMW M Roadster - manual
2004 Honda S2000 - manual
1988 BMW E30 M3 - manual
1997 Acura NSX - manual
1988/1989 Toyota MR2 Supercharged - manual and auto
1991 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo - manual
Old 10-13-2009, 05:52 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 5,005 Likes on 1,776 Posts

I can drive both transmission type. I guess I am getting sway by a car's pricing.
Tips are always cheaper and tougher to sell (just my observation) because they are less desirable. You seem to prefer manual...don't buy a tip.
Old 10-13-2009, 06:54 PM
Rinty
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

... will convert mine some day...hoggel
There is a fascinating article in this month's Excellence about a conversion project on a 964, done by a guy in the Northwest.

It is a formidable undertaking,

Quick Reply: Getting desperate! Is a C2S with a tiptronic transmission worth it?