Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does anybody know this car? Apparently it was traded

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2009, 10:12 AM
jasonfreed
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I just passed on a purchase of a '97 C4S, 1-owner, <20,000 miles, highly optioned (>$92K MSRP), great color combo, excellent condition for $44K. Seller was orginally asking $60K. Dealer aquired the car on trade for <$40K.
So where is that car at $44k? I'll buy it

No HTwo O - are you in the business?

I have no problem spending some extra $$$ for the right car.

I'm coming from the 996 world (I've had two of them - a C2 and a TT) and have shopped for a Porsche before. The price is only a tiny factor in the purchase IMO.
Old 10-11-2009, 10:14 AM
jasonfreed
Rennlist Member

Rome, that is true. It sold with a buy-it-now price of $41.5K. I used this as a comp for the OP's white car with significantly more miles.
I have to say, I was actually LOOKING for a car with 30,000-40,000 miles. I think these things need to be driven and I'm leary about buying one that sits around all the time.

I wouldn't buy one with 10,000miles no matter the price.

I'm planning on driving the thing a bit.
Old 10-11-2009, 11:59 AM
rome
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

30k miles is pretty low miles in my book (it's a little more than 2000 per year). I think those still command somewhat of a premium, but certainly not like a sub 10k museum piece.

I've heard some argue that i30k is just the right amount of miles to keep it well exercised, which increases the value.
Old 10-11-2009, 12:16 PM
jasonfreed
Rennlist Member

I've heard some argue that 30k is just the right amount of miles to keep it well exercised, which increases the value.
rome - I agree. I honestly wouldn't even look at a 12-13yo car with 10,000 miles on it. I want one that has been driven, just not beat on.
Old 10-11-2009, 12:16 PM
seattle993
Intermediate

As I am also in the market for a mint C4S, I find this thread very informative and interesting.

No HTwo O already posted the 2 recent examples on RL:

1996 C4S AR <26k mi SF private CL $41k asking & $39k purchase. Excellent condition and PPI passed. I too agree that this was a great deal.

1996 C4S AR Colorado dealer <28k mi, looked like it did not sell on ebay for $41.5k, I saw on its dealer website for ~$39.8k two days ago & now gone. Don't know its conditions & PPI results

I've been wondering at what going prices these low-mi examples are being sold. I see so many being listed for high 40s and over 50s, but wasn't sure if these are anywhere even close to real purchase prices. I completely agree with jasonfreed on his approach.

No HTwo O, could you comment more on the $44k C4S that you passed? I am looking for AR so no competition here...

jasonfreed, if you don't mind, please share more on your PPI and purchase. GOOD luck!

Xing
Old 10-11-2009, 12:36 PM
seattle993
Intermediate

Here's one 98 white C4S for $50k in my area. This listing has been around forever. Not sure if you will like the interior.

http://seattle.craigslist.org/est/ctd/1414282236.html
http://www.luxurycarsnw.com/inventory.htm
Old 10-11-2009, 03:14 PM
jasonfreed
Rennlist Member

Not sure if you will like the interior.
WOW - that is one ugly interior!

Thanks for the link though.

It looks to me like ~$40,000 is where they sell at.

Regardless of asking price.

In my case, I found a one owner car that I can look at with my own eyes and drive myself. Lack of flying out and driving home (or arranging shipping) makes me happy.

I'd rather find one local that fits my needs but would travel for the right car.

I mean, this is a $40,000 car not a museum car. So, it seems a bit excessive to me to start paying for PPIs on cars that are 1700 miles away. Then what, I fly out, drive it, look at it, buy it and pay more to get it home?

I bought my 996TT sight unseen but I did have a good friend who owned one too go and look at it and drive it. It's hard to find a friend that is willing to do a compression test and leak down
Old 10-11-2009, 03:42 PM
rome
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jasonfreed

Thanks for the link though.

It looks to me like ~$40,000 is where they sell at.

Regardless of asking price.

In my case, I found a one owner car that I can look at with my own eyes and drive myself. Lack of flying out and driving home (or arranging shipping) makes me happy.

I'd rather find one local that fits my needs but would travel for the right car.

I mean, this is a $40,000 car not a museum car. So, it seems a bit excessive to me to start paying for PPIs on cars that are 1700 miles away. Then what, I fly out, drive it, look at it, buy it and pay more to get it home?

I bought my 996TT sight unseen but I did have a good friend who owned one too go and look at it and drive it. It's hard to find a friend that is willing to do a compression test and leak down
What you describe all factor in to "market value." People bitch about the premiums RPM or Truspeed command, and claim they are way above market, but you know you are getting a very clean, well sorted car. There may be a "one- off at the price you think is market, but when you add in all these costs the true cost is much higher to get what you want.
Old 10-11-2009, 03:57 PM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I wouldn't buy one with 10,000miles no matter the price.

I'm planning on driving the thing a bit.
I agree 100% with this.
Old 10-11-2009, 03:58 PM
justin993
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

who really thinks a dealer is going to let this car go for less than $40k, if it is very clean and checks out?
I doubt the dealer payed less than $37-38.
Doubt they will let it go for no profit.
Like others said, lets see the clean S cars going under $40k with under 50k miles.
Old 10-11-2009, 04:02 PM
No HTwo O
Banned

Jason, it is not in the color combo you wanted.

I am not in the business. Far from it. Just a huge Porsche enthusiast. I did over 420 miles today, in one of my cars, with the top down, and low 40 degree weather in and around the beautiful southwestern fall colors and farms of Wisconsin.
Old 10-11-2009, 04:02 PM
justin993
Three Wheelin'

I have no problem spending some extra $$$ for the right car.

I'm coming from the 996 world (I've had two of them - a C2 and a TT) and have shopped for a Porsche before. The price is only a tiny factor in the purchase IMO.
- as jasonfreed has stated, and there are many others like him who are willing to pay an extra few grand for the right car. And if you can't do, you may be in for a big surprise when it comes time to fix it, maintain it, and upgrade it.
Old 10-11-2009, 04:09 PM
No HTwo O
Banned

Ya know, that's either Boxster Red or Flaminco (spelling?) Red. They are both great colors. They just don't photograph too well, (they usually look too much on the orange side). But, then again, you kinda have to like the color red...since there is sooooo much there.

Both red and blue leather interiors are pretty classic Porsche.

Just not for everyone.
Old 10-11-2009, 04:10 PM
No HTwo O
Banned

Originally Posted by seattle993
No HTwo O, could you comment more on the $44k C4S that you passed? I am looking for AR so no competition here...
Xing
Seattle, the car is NOT Arena Red. Sorry. Great color. I can see why you are looking for that color.
Old 10-11-2009, 04:24 PM
justin993
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by No HTwo O
Ya know, that's either Boxster Red or Flaminco (spelling?) Red. They are both great colors. They just don't photograph too well, (they usually look too much on the orange side). But, then again, you kinda have to like the color red...since there is sooooo much there.

Both red and blue leather interiors are pretty classic Porsche.

Just not for everyone.
95% sure it's boxster red

Quick Reply: Does anybody know this car? Apparently it was traded