Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

OT: Father Dying of Cancer

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2009, 03:49 PM
briefescape
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is very simple Fire the jerk ! I live in Vancouver and I am having my own health issues as we speak . I am going in for open hearth surgery very soon and the staff , doctors and the surgeon are A+ .
Doctors are just like mechanics and if they are not performing to your satisfaction you fire them . There are better hospital in Vancouver area that specialize in cancer so I would even suggest you get him to VGH Cancer Clinic , they are the very best !

DO NOT WAIT . One phone call can resolve that . Pm if you need help .

Good Luck and God Bless

Guy
Old 10-06-2009, 04:01 PM
cabrio993
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

As others have said.... Fire that doctor and get another one ASAP. Your dad doesn't need this guy attitude right now.
Old 10-06-2009, 04:02 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 523 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Burdell
No one should be subjected to needless unpleasantries at a time like this, and certainly not from one's own doctor.

I'll supply the 2x4 and shovel...
I am thinking parking lot, dark night and a nice axe handle....it wont cure the problem but you'll feel better.
Old 10-06-2009, 04:09 PM
MDamen
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This thread reinforces the value Rennlist has to the community about more than just cars. Lots of good advice here. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.
Old 10-06-2009, 04:39 PM
964speed
Pro

KICK HIS ***...NOTHING and I mean NOTHING opens the mind more than pain and fear! Violence is the great equalizer! Outside of this advice I’d pray for peace and your fathers well being!
Old 10-06-2009, 04:39 PM
964speed
Pro

KICK HIS ***...NOTHING and I mean NOTHING opens the mind more than pain and fear! Violence is the great equalizer! Outside of this advice I’d pray for peace and your fathers well being!
Old 10-06-2009, 05:00 PM
bbs993tt
Rennlist Member

Received 344 Likes on 181 Posts

the doc has to be governed by a board of some sort. A board of surgeons, board of oncologists, something. Part of that board's responsibility is to hear stuff like this so that it doesn't happen again. This doc has privileges at this hospital and those privileges can be revoked.

Whether you stick with this doc or not, I think whatever board he answers to needs to be notified. It shouldn't be hard to find a board member.

Docs, especially oncologists, need to be filled with compassion. This guy clearly isn't.
Old 10-06-2009, 05:20 PM
guards red
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by jdistefa
Scott,

Gastric cancer is an unfortunate diagnosis and a 'cure' is difficult even when the tumour is caught early. Partial gastrectomy is usually the surgical approach, but when things spread an operation simply becomes a way to kill the patient earlier than the cancer.

Chemo is not unreasonable as a strategy to debulk the tumour and buy time. It all boils down to quality of life - i.e. will you gain a few weeks/months on chemo but feel ****ty all the time, versus enjoy the time left without the potentially nasty side effects of treatment?

Whatever the choice, your father will still need nutrition, which may require a G or J-tube. Adequate nutrition can be just as big a factor in maximizing his survival time as chemo. If he's having trouble swallowing pills, it sounds like you need to look at options in this regard.

Lastly, pain control (opiods) and bowel management (avoiding constipation from the pain meds) will also be key factors re. quality of life.

Now - on the last and most important topic - this doctor's behaviour. Personally, I find it embarassing to the profession, and anyone caring for Oncology patients who behaves like that needs to have their head re-arranged with a 2x4. I'm sorry you are having to deal with that on top of your father's illness.

I've PM'd you my phone number and I'm happy to help both re. connecting you to the BC College of Physicians and Surgeons and with sourcing a second opinion/alternate physician.

Regards,
Matt
Matt,

You my friend are a star.

Scott,

I don't know you but this is a terrible thing made worse by a moron. Stay strong.

Regards
Tal
Old 10-06-2009, 05:48 PM
vjd3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

The sad truth is, his supervisors will likely be far more interested in covering their own a--es, circling the wagons and protecting the institution than doing the right thing. Unless things are very different in BC.

My wife practices at one of the best hospitals in the country, and is an assistant professor at a medical school you would all recognize, and the place is filled with egos, politics, backstabbing, harassment, arrogance and zero accountability. People who sound exactly like the doctor in question. It's sad but true.

But that doesn't mean your dad has to put up with this particular a--hole.
Old 10-06-2009, 05:54 PM
Stuttgart951
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SR71BLACKBIRD
Sorry to Ramble but I am just steaming
Get a new doctor pronto.

The second one always seems to be able to help the patient that the first one doesnt want to touch.
Old 10-06-2009, 06:16 PM
Dr. No
Race Director

Received 403 Likes on 302 Posts

The only thing I would add is that you should try to identify a good doctor who can take over from the jerk doctor before firing the jerk doctor. If you don't, you may end up with someone even worse, and the same admins who tolerate Dr. Jerk's behavior may decide to punish uppity behavior by patients demanding civility from them. In the meantime, bust Dr. Jerk's ***** by demanding better treatment and letting him know he can't ignore your Dad's case, but this will require a commitment of time and emotion from you or another relative.
Old 10-06-2009, 07:05 PM
RS man
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jdistefa
Scott,

Gastric cancer is an unfortunate diagnosis and a 'cure' is difficult even when the tumour is caught early. Partial gastrectomy is usually the surgical approach, but when things spread an operation simply becomes a way to kill the patient earlier than the cancer.

Chemo is not unreasonable as a strategy to debulk the tumour and buy time. It all boils down to quality of life - i.e. will you gain a few weeks/months on chemo but feel ****ty all the time, versus enjoy the time left without the potentially nasty side effects of treatment?

Whatever the choice, your father will still need nutrition, which may require a G or J-tube. Adequate nutrition can be just as big a factor in maximizing his survival time as chemo. If he's having trouble swallowing pills, it sounds like you need to look at options in this regard.

Lastly, pain control (opiods) and bowel management (avoiding constipation from the pain meds) will also be key factors re. quality of life.

Now - on the last and most important topic - this doctor's behaviour. Personally, I find it embarassing to the profession, and anyone caring for Oncology patients who behaves like that needs to have their head re-arranged with a 2x4. I'm sorry you are having to deal with that on top of your father's illness.

I've PM'd you my phone number and I'm happy to help both re. connecting you to the BC College of Physicians and Surgeons and with sourcing a second opinion/alternate physician.

Regards,
Matt
What Matt said. I am sorry about your father. I have seen many people desperate to do something and go for chemotherapy only to have side effects which significantly affect the quality of life for the remainder of life they had and worse still succumb to infection due to neutropenia and unable to eat due to mucositis. At the end of the day the choice is your father's but aside from chemotherapy all the other aspects of care that Matt mentioned are very important. It is sad to see doctors acting so disrespectfully to patients and their families who are distressed by such appalling diagnosis. One of these days it will catch up with him - what goes round comes round.
Old 10-06-2009, 08:29 PM
csertich
Addict
Rennlist Member

Im so sorry to hear of your father's illness. I lost both my parents in 1996. They were in the hospital in Florida, where they 'care' for a lot of older people. I immediately saw in the doctors assigned an attitude of 'they've lived long enough-we're not going to do much to save them' attitude. I addressed my concerns with the main doctor and went immediately to the head of the hospital.

I ended up changing both hospitals and doctors. I don't know if I extended their stay on this earth by changing but I do know they were finally getting the care and respect they deserved until the end.

As others have said, go see your father. That is of paramount importance.

Best of luck. Your family is in my prayers.

chuck
Old 10-06-2009, 08:32 PM
rcwelch
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Scott, I just read this and I will call you. Sorry to read this.
Old 10-06-2009, 09:50 PM
vincer77
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

God Bless your father!

Vince

Quick Reply: OT: Father Dying of Cancer