Sponsored by:

Another California smog referee story

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2009, 04:21 PM
CentralCoastC4S
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Another California smog referee story

So my readiness codes won't reset after 8 or 9 drive cycles. The smog guy would not smog the car, said the codes were not set and told me to not waste
my time failing the smog exam and spending the money. Good advice, it turned out.
I knew the car was clean, no fault codes but nothing I could do would reset the readiness codes.
Finally, with no failed smog check, I called the referee 800 number and set up an appointment with the nearest referee, 20 miles away. Checked everything on the car to find the culprit but nothing was done to the car since the last smog check and I had not codes thrown, suspected the evap system but don't know.

Show up this morning, the place is empty, two guys there, one state employee, the other a student at the local community college where the station is located. The kid is obviously happy to be working on a decent car, the state employee is a good guy but wants my failed smog check paperwork. Great. I never got it smogged because I knew it would fail. After a short lecture on why I should have gotten a smog check and that they can do the check even with readiness codes not set etc... they went ahead with the check.
Simple smog check, twin sniffers which I have not seen before. Everything checks out. Numbers were
CO% 0.00 at idle and 2500rpm, 1.00 allowed
HC 64 at idle, 100 allowed
12 at 2500rpm, 130 allowed
So, I think all the crappy driving I had to do on the drive cycles loaded up the HC, it normally sniffs cleaner that that.
The guy told me that in two years if I still have codes, just bypass all the other
paperwork and just call the referee. I guess once you've been there you can go back more easily. He said to never worry about smog and readiness codes again, if they don't reset just bring it back in two years for another test.
Total cost, 8.25.
So, that's my story, glad it's over, should not have worried about the whole thing and won't again. Still want to reset the stupid codes, now have 2 years to do it....
Old 10-05-2009, 04:36 PM
sdcabrio
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Glad it worked out. Sounds surpriseingly painless to go to the referee,...I own an OBD I '95, but nice to hear that a fellow Californian didn't get totally f#cked over in the CA, mindless redtape, madness.
Old 10-05-2009, 05:33 PM
2Many Cars
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Maybe I'm just lucky but I've never had a problem with CA smog and I have an OBD II car. Just don't disconnect or let the battery go dead and bring it in fully warmed up when you do the smog. If things are up to snuff mechanically you should pass by a mile.
Old 10-05-2009, 05:40 PM
FisterD
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 25 Posts

That is great info, thanks for sharing.
Old 10-06-2009, 12:19 AM
Raptor
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bruce: Great story. Glad is so favorable. Where did you go for the ref?
Old 10-06-2009, 02:21 AM
diet97993
Rennlist Member

Pretty much went through the same process the last 2 times I smoged my 97. Went to the referee with no problems both times. Seems there is enough information in the states (CA) database to indicate that this is an on-going problem for these cars. The referee I use is at Custa College which is right down the road from Cal Poly SLO.
Old 10-06-2009, 02:29 AM
Warpig
Pro

Illinois is kinda cool when it comes to OBDII cars. They check your gas cap to be sure it seals. Hook up to the OBDII port, verify the Check Engine light works. Read any set codes and so long as there are no codes that light the check engine light (the light works but is off) and your gas cap seals properly, you pass. They used to dyno the cars, but I have not seen a dyno at a smog inspection place in over 10 years now. I have heard rumors of speed shops in IL that program out certain censors or make other programming changes in the system to prevent Check engine lights from lighting after an aggressive cam or header install. Sounds like a nice easy way to pass emissions.

Nick
Old 10-06-2009, 10:49 AM
g_murray
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Amazing timing!

Just left the car in for the NY State inspection this morning at 7:55am - then caught an earlier train into work (Manhattan).

At work, I take my coat off, flip on the 'puter, and the phone rings.

It's the inspection station -- car has passed -- "pls. come and collect it at your convenience". :-)

Dude!!!

P.S. And, remember, this is AFTER having installed a new (Optima Red Top) battery and having left the car *devoid of power* for over 24hrs (before the new one was 'in') and NOT having had to do the drive-cycle-fandango.
Yes, ALL 8 of my readiness monitors stayed "OK" during this swoperoo. Hard to fathom, but 'tis true.

Last edited by g_murray; 10-06-2009 at 11:18 AM.
Old 10-06-2009, 01:56 PM
CentralCoastC4S
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My closest station was in Salinas at Hartnell Community College. The head guy there pulled out a bunch of books on the subject and it listed which cars had "known" issues with readiness codes. The 993 was not in there. Lots of other cars were, but not our cars. So, he was a bit surprised. The state keeps a list of the cars to watch for but it's obviously not complete. He also showed me a list of cars that can have readiness codes but the system does not find them so the smog check goes through without any problems. A couple of Volvo's were on that list, as well as some 12 cylinder BMW's....

Quick Reply: Another California smog referee story