993 Forum 1995-1998

PowerLift Jacks for Storage

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2009, 10:47 PM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default PowerLift Jacks for Storage

I am thinking about buying a set (4) of these to make winter hibernation a little easier, if I need to move cars around (since I don't run them) in my heated storage facility. Does anyone have any experience with these? Thanks.

http://www.ineedparts.com/tools-and-...hydraulic.html
Old 09-27-2009, 12:48 AM
cpace3
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that is what the repo man uses to move a car before it gets on the tow truck...they work great as long as u are not on a hill .the problem is that with all 4 courners up it could role away.
cheers, nick
Old 09-27-2009, 03:50 AM
Warpig
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cpace3
that is what the repo man uses to move a car before it gets on the tow truck...they work great as long as u are not on a hill .the problem is that with all 4 courners up it could role away.
cheers, nick
I live near an apartment complex that tows your car if you do not have a parking sticker. I see the tow truck out there cruising almost every night. Watched him lift a few cars one night cause I was very bored and got curious about how they do things. A friend of mine used to be a repo man, so I was just curious, as he as told me a few stories. Anyway, one car was parked head in to a spot and there were cars on both sides of it. He noticed the car had it's wheels turned far enough that pulling it straight out would not work because it would steer into the car next to it. He pulled 4 of these devices off his truck and put one at each wheel. Stepped on the pedals to jack the car up and pushed the car by hand out out of the spot and turned it 90 degrees. removed the four devices, stowed them on the back of the truck, backed up to the turned front wheels with his tow truck and lifted the front wheels off the ground and drove away. He pulled the car into an office complex across the street, secured the vehicle to the truck and was gone. Took him about 3 minutes to push the car out of the spot and tow it off the property, where at the office complex he took his time to secure the vehicle. Neat to see how it's done.

Nick
Old 09-27-2009, 09:08 AM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

Received 433 Likes on 272 Posts

These are a "take-off" on the original GO-JACKS. In addition to being extremely useful in re-positioning in tight quarters and/or moving w/o starting, they perform an additional feature: Raising a low-slung car in order to get a floor jack under it. Example: With a lowered 993, place the "positioning jacks" under the front wheels and raise them up equally. Using the 2"x6" method across the front pan, raise the front end by putting the floor jack saddle in the center of the board, then place your jack-stands under the proper support points. You can also use the positioning jacks on the rear wheels to raise the rear if clearance is a problem there. Lowering is simply a matter of reversing the procedure.
BTW, using positioning jacks on all four wheels is a scary proposition unless you have a helper. The car is like on roller skates and can have a mind of its own! Using just two is a little more time-consuming but EZ for one person. If your garage deck is on an incline, I wouldn't recommend using them.

Last edited by NC TRACKRAT; 09-27-2009 at 05:39 PM.

Quick Reply: PowerLift Jacks for Storage