Sponsored by:

HID Questions.....

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2009, 11:55 PM
944/951guy
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HID Questions.....

So I just did the HID install of the 55W Digital HID Slim Ballast kit because im hoping to get my car back soon........ and I hope I did it right. I am pretty sure i did. But I have a question.

Dont those Ballast get Hot when ran a long time?
I put everything inside the headlight just like alot of other guys did on here and the question I have is has anyone had a fire yet?? cause I just cramed everything in there because it barely fit. so hopefully my headlights dont catch on fire.
What do you think?
Old 09-26-2009, 04:46 AM
haygeebaby
Burning Brakes

Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

I've been running my HID kit inside the enclosure for about 4 years now. No problems what so ever.
Old 09-26-2009, 11:08 AM
JasonF
Burning Brakes

The small "slim profile" ballasts seem to run quite a bit hotter than their larger cousins.

In fact, I replaced a failed larger ballast (still able to fit in the headlight housing) with two different units. The first was a slimmer version that ran hot. That was replaced with a "micro" ballast and it got so hot after running for about an hour that I could barely handle it. Long story short, I'm going to buy one of the larger ballasts and keep the smaller units as backups.

Mounting the ballasts in the trunk may increase airflow and dissipate heat, but remember they will likely be touching the trunk carpeting, so one should keep a wary eye for scorched carpeting at the very least, and a fire hazard at worst.

I don't know if my heat issues are limited to my experience, but try running the HID's for a half hour or so and pop open the headlight bucket and see if there's heat buildup.
Old 09-26-2009, 11:49 AM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

Search is your friend...I did an experiment with Chuck W a few years ago and measured the ballast temps with an IR thermometer after having them on for an hour drive from his home to West Side Alignment.

I repeated the experiment with my own HID kit. the passenger side was hotter in both cases, but I believe that the oil cooler behind the bucket was pushing the temps up, as opposed to the driver side.

I forget the exact numbers, but none of the temps were high enough to cause me any concern.

look for the "Great deal on HIDs!!" thread, I reported temps maxed at 117F.
Old 09-26-2009, 11:59 AM
Arena993
Race Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Kika:

Timely answer I just mounted my larger ballast in the trunk and had a minor concern with heat. I appreciate the temp readings. Truth be told if it were a problem there would be a great deal of history referencing this as almost everyone here is running the HID's.

Mike
Old 09-26-2009, 12:37 PM
Rinty
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...ml#post3976323

See post 13.
Old 09-26-2009, 02:31 PM
944/951guy
Three Wheelin'

Thanks guys I guess I can drive without thinking FIRE!
Old 09-27-2009, 03:08 AM
2Many Cars
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I doubt the trunk mounts are a problem since A. that's where Porsche put them, and B. the metal they sit on will act as a great heat sink. A properly functioning ballast shouldn't get very hot. If they are malfunctioning that could be another story.
Old 09-27-2009, 04:10 AM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by 2Many Cars
I doubt the trunk mounts are a problem since A. that's where Porsche put them, and B. the metal they sit on will act as a great heat sink. A properly functioning ballast shouldn't get very hot. If they are malfunctioning that could be another story.
That is why I put an inline fuse on the ballast, so if there is a failure or a short, the fuse will go before they get too hot.

Quick Reply: HID Questions.....