Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OT: Is it just me or the i-Phone has the worst reception ever?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2009, 02:52 PM
dbf73
Boost Junkie
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

I've had my 3G for 9 mos or so and I've had fewer dropped calls and better service than I had with the previous T-Mobile fone here in the Twin Cities and T-Mobile was pretty good. Other cities and networks, YMMV
Old 09-29-2009, 08:14 PM
Canyon56
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 2Many Cars
ATT Wireless is basically a roll-up of a bunch of different companies so if you're in an area where they owned or bought a strong player you likely have good coverage. On the West coast they bought Airtouch which had a pretty good network, at least in the cities, so the coverage here is generally good as long as you're not in one of the dead spots that are inevitable in hilly arears like this.
Actually I don't believe this is quite correct. Airtouch was bought in part by Bell Atlantic after it became Vodafone Airtouch (not by ATT) and that's how Verizon came into being. I was an Airtouch customer in California and I (by default) became a Verizon customer. ATT was not involved.

Here are the specifics:
"On June 30, 1999, AirTouch Communications merged with UK-based Vodafone Group Plc, and the new company was called Vodafone AirTouch Plc. In September 1999, Vodafone AirTouch announced a $70-billion joint venture with Bell Atlantic Corp. to be called Verizon Wireless, which would be composed of the two companies' U.S. wireless assets: Bell Atlantic Mobile, AirTouch Cellular, PrimeCo Communications, and AirTouch Paging. This wireless joint venture received regulatory approval in six months, and began operations as Verizon Wireless on April 4, 2000. On June 30, 2000, the addition of GTE Wireless' assets, in connection with the merger of Bell Atlantic and GTE to form Verizon Communications, made Verizon Wireless the nation's largest wireless communications provider (until Cingular's acquisition of AT&T Wireless in 2004, creating what is now AT&T Mobility). For the joint venture, Verizon Communications owns 55% and UK-based Vodafone Group (formerly Vodafone AirTouch) owns 45%."
Old 09-29-2009, 08:21 PM
rsalicrup
Racer

Received 152 Likes on 71 Posts

I have no problem with my Iphone. I'm in the Navy and I work inside a Carrier. There are time that I will get reception deep inside the ship. I get angry faces when I'm sitting eating lunch and I'm on the phone .

What I've been told is that cell phones will lock to one tower and try to stay with that as long as possible. To remedy this turn off the phone and turn it on again so it can lock to a better tower. I don't think this is legit, but turning the phone off and on will yield better reception. From all the phones I had, the Iphones has been the best when it comes to reception.
Old 09-29-2009, 09:05 PM
Black993
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How often do you turn your phone off? Most people never power it down (this is with ANY GSM phone). The SIM updates network profiles when available by checking against the current profile when it comes onto the network. Go to a store and have them run your SIM through CARD, or replace the SIM. I've seen it so bad that all calls will go straight to a users voicemail.

For those riding the blackberry bandwagon, AT&T released a new firmware for the Bold to fix dropped calls, and then promptly put out an email saying do not update, a new (fixed) update will be coming (and has since been released). Its not always the network.
Old 09-29-2009, 11:53 PM
rsalicrup
Racer

Received 152 Likes on 71 Posts

I turn off my phone once I set foot on the ship then once I get to the house. So twice a day. My work and home are on opposite side of Chesapeake Bay at about 25 miles apart.
Old 09-30-2009, 01:36 AM
2Many Cars
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Canyon you are quite right. I was once an Airtouch customer but ended up with up with ATT many years ago. My recollection was that there was a transfer of accounts somewhere along the line but in fact I must have actually changed carriers. Your citing of the Airtouch to Vodaphone and ultimately Verizon transition refreshes my memory, is accurate and I stand corrected. Now back to the regularly scheduled program.......
Old 09-30-2009, 10:07 AM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Received 765 Likes on 558 Posts
Default Asheville NC - no 3G tower

Reception SUCKS...

Quick Reply: OT: Is it just me or the i-Phone has the worst reception ever?