Sponsored by:

Battery Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2009, 08:29 PM
rol607
Burning Brakes

Received 33 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Battery Question

What battery is recommended for the 993 coupe? Specifics would be appreciated.

TIA
Old 09-20-2009, 11:51 PM
g_murray
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi,
I have a 993 C2 'narrow body'.
I just changed my 6 yr. old "Diehard" (that DID 'die') to an Optima RED TOP Type 35. It was $110. It's also a SEALED battery so no more 'vent tube' shenanigans.
Gerry
Old 09-21-2009, 01:16 AM
laurinap
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

g_murray - did the optima type 35 need spacers/brackets or anything to fit and hold tight? i have a c4s, given you highlighted you had a narrow body, does that mean it takes a different battery than wide body? (i would guess not, i would think front trunk is the same)

thks
Old 09-21-2009, 10:54 AM
g_murray
Three Wheelin'

Hi,
I did NOT need any 'extra brackets' to install, though, in the box that it came in, there was an additional "plastic piece" that could be used to 'raise' it off its base ...if need be.
The 'new' optima redtop just slid into the same space (as the old diehard) and I just secured it down with the existing 'semi-circular'-shaped w. single bolt bracket thingy.
You should have no problems.
Just make sure that you get the battery with the +ve terminal that will face AWAY from the car body and is oriented towards the nose of the car, and, obviously with "big nipple" posts rather than ones that screw in.
BTW, just for grins, since I had the old battery out and that whole 'battery area' completely exposed - I took the opportunity to wash/flush the whole area down with a solution of baking soda and warm water. I must admit there was no signs of corrosion or acid damage ...but I figured "whilst I'm in there".
If you DO this - just remeber to DRY and SOAK UP all traces of baking soda otherwise, over time, it will dry to a 'white dust' and sometimes even turns brown like it has been 'carmelized'.
Gerry
Old 09-21-2009, 11:04 AM
Rinty
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just installed an Interstate 91 (on my invoice it shows as an MTP-91), which went in easy. Just make sure they give you the vent kit.

But 993's take a "Group 48" battery.

Last edited by Rinty; 09-21-2009 at 01:20 PM.
Old 09-21-2009, 02:11 PM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anybody have experience installing the Rennline battery kit/cutoff for an Odyssey 925 battery?

Thanks
David
Old 09-21-2009, 02:59 PM
Ocean Blue C2S
Racer

I bought the Optima Red Top for my 74 Carrera ( since sold), and found this battery very heavy, compared to conventional batteries... any comments?

Bert
Old 09-21-2009, 04:02 PM
2Many Cars
Three Wheelin'

If you use a convential battery use one of these:

http://www.dccarcare.com/battery.html

I have them in all my cars and they work really well...just don't get them wet or like any water absorbing material you'll get rust. No affiliation etc.
Old 09-21-2009, 08:19 PM
rol607
Burning Brakes

Received 33 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by g_murray
Hi,
I did NOT need any 'extra brackets' to install, though, in the box that it came in, there was an additional "plastic piece" that could be used to 'raise' it off its base ...if need be.
The 'new' optima redtop just slid into the same space (as the old diehard) and I just secured it down with the existing 'semi-circular'-shaped w. single bolt bracket thingy.
You should have no problems.
Just make sure that you get the battery with the +ve terminal that will face AWAY from the car body and is oriented towards the nose of the car, and, obviously with "big nipple" posts rather than ones that screw in.
BTW, just for grins, since I had the old battery out and that whole 'battery area' completely exposed - I took the opportunity to wash/flush the whole area down with a solution of baking soda and warm water. I must admit there was no signs of corrosion or acid damage ...but I figured "whilst I'm in there".
If you DO this - just remeber to DRY and SOAK UP all traces of baking soda otherwise, over time, it will dry to a 'white dust' and sometimes even turns brown like it has been 'carmelized'.
Gerry

Just came back from Costco where a lot of fellow RL'rs have purchased Optima batteries and the + - were on the wrong ends.
Old 09-21-2009, 09:46 PM
tigerrat
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just put an Optima 34R in mine. The R is for reverse terminals and gets the + to the front center of the car. I still had to straighten the curve in the + cable terminal clamp. The bottom hold down went on just like a conventional battery. Ken
http://www.optimabatteries.com/_medi...ecs/34_34R.pdf
Old 09-21-2009, 10:01 PM
97_993C2
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by rol607
Just came back from Costco where a lot of fellow RL'rs have purchased Optima batteries and the + - were on the wrong ends.
I think with the 75/35 Optima, which Costco and Autozone stock, you have to turn the battery around. It still works though the + cable is a bit of a stretch , if I recall correctly. The 34(R) is the one to get, but I couldn't find one locally.
Old 09-22-2009, 12:41 AM
JM993
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I just bought a Yellow Top Optima D35. Perfect fit. Better choice for me as my car is not driven daily.

http://www.optimabatteries.com/_medi.../specs/D35.pdf

Cheers,
Joe
Old 09-22-2009, 01:51 AM
rdevany
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tigerrat
I just put an Optima 34R in mine. The R is for reverse terminals and gets the + to the front center of the car. I still had to straighten the curve in the + cable terminal clamp. The bottom hold down went on just like a conventional battery. Ken
http://www.optimabatteries.com/_medi...ecs/34_34R.pdf
1+ on the 34R. Bending out the curve in the positive terminal takes some work. I "pressed" the curve out using the jaws on my bench vise (temporarily relocated in the trunk). Worked great.
Old 09-22-2009, 02:38 AM
fullbooker
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I tried the Odyssey battery but had issues with it after about a year. I went back to the Interstate conventional battery and couldn't be happier.
Phil
Old 09-22-2009, 02:57 AM
2Many Cars
Three Wheelin'

From my experience the gel batteries, at least the red tops, lose their charge quicker than a regular battery. In addition I've had two go bad on me within a year of buying them. My Interstate batteries last 6+ years and work just fine without any damage provided you keep the vent properly hooked up and use a battery mat. I'm not at all convinced the gel batteries are worth it.

Quick Reply: Battery Question