Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First 993 for me, where to mount my Valentine 1...

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2009, 11:17 PM
laurinap
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default First 993 for me, where to mount my Valentine 1...

I like on my x5 to mount on visor and hard wire to light cluster above mirror, but on the 993 the visor mount points down a bit, so not ideal level, where do people mount up their radars, if any. Right now using suction cups on the windshield, but i dont like it to be that obvious.
Old 09-17-2009, 11:54 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Have you looked at these?

http://p-car.com/diy/v1/
Old 09-18-2009, 01:50 AM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's my set up...I posted a DIY a few mos ago.

Old 09-18-2009, 12:39 PM
Arrwin
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by David in LA
Here's my set up...I posted a DIY a few mos ago.

Slick setup!
Old 09-18-2009, 01:56 PM
J.B.H.
Rennlist Member

I stuck my suction cups right onto the black metal for the antenna between the visors...remote face below ashtray on the carpet notch...
Old 09-18-2009, 01:57 PM
air eater
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I took the liberty of putting David's well documented V1 mounting instructions into a PDF format. Unfortunatly, the file (zipped) is too large to download to this site.
Please PM me if you would like a copy sent to your offsite e-mail address.
I also attached a couple of pictures of my V1 remote location.
Attached Images   
Old 09-18-2009, 02:00 PM
J.B.H.
Rennlist Member

I hadnt seen that one...mine is actually velcro'ed on the back up against the carpet..this way when you get pulled over you just open the ashtray and it hides the face....(I got snagged by a "Laser" once)
Old 09-18-2009, 05:42 PM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

As part of my install, I also added a remote mute switch to the back of the turn signal stalk...see pic posted above. It's available on eBay for about $6-10. I also sent the remote display to Full Color Defense to modify the alert lights. Now rather than all of them being red they are red, yellow green and blue....so the remote display is installed in the periphery of my vision...no need to have it front and center in front of the wheel/gauge. The different colors are especially useful if I have the window/sunroom open or music turned up and I can't hear the different radar/laser alerts.

Originally Posted by air eater
I took the liberty of putting David's well documented V1 mounting instructions into a PDF format. Unfortunatly, the file (zipped) is too large to download to this site.....
Here's the link to my post in case anyone is interested.
https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...one-mount.html

Originally Posted by air eater
....I also attached a couple of pictures of my V1 remote location.
In an earlier install in my cab a few years ago I put the remote inside the ashtray...so it's similar to your location. I can tell you that for me, seeing the alert lights is not that easy..it's in my peripheral vision but if it wasn't for the different alert noise I would not be able to tell which light is going off...hence the Full Color Defense mod described above.

If you don't need the ashtray, you can remove the insert and pop off the white plastic cap for the light and thread the remote cable through (fyi your ashtray is missing the insert). The V1 remote can be installed in this insert with a friction fit...no need for glue, etc...and the insert just drops back into the ashtray. So you'd pop the ashtray open to reveal the remote, and just close it when you park or if you get pulled over.

In my cab, the main unit is still mounted using the suction cups as I haven't figured out how to do a similar mount as the above....the cabin light in the cab gets covered if I use the above method. But the suction cups make me nervous....you know in an accident you will have a 1/2 lb metallic projectile in your cabin

Last edited by David in LA; 09-18-2009 at 06:01 PM.

Quick Reply: First 993 for me, where to mount my Valentine 1...