Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problems with RH rims - does anyone have suggestions on the cause?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2009, 06:29 PM
aminewyork
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Problems with RH rims - does anyone have suggestions on the cause?

I've owned a set of NB spec'd RH 3.6 wheels for 3 months and I've been less than impressed with the quality.

I am wondering if any other RH rim owners (or owners with similar rims) have experienced my issues and what they've done to fix them?

The first set of wheels leaked the day they were put on. I only drove my car home and then back to the shop (about 7 miles). No problem, RH sent me a full set of new rims that did not leak. I had to wait almost 2-3 weeks but they made it work and I was very grateful.

With the new rims on, both back tires rubbed. Again.. no problem, I went to Farnbacher Loles (no affiliation) to have both fenders rolled and they did a perfect job.

Now the real problems start coming. First, a set of mysterious white spots started showing up in my rear outer (see photo). All outers are sprayed with clear coat, so maybe I got a bad batch? As of this writing, I now have these white spots on 2 of my rims.

Second.. some of the clear seems to look as if it's actually pealing off on 2 of my rims (see photo). If you rub your finger over the area you feel nothing. What you see is actually in the clear itself.

Third.. from 10' away they look great. Up close you'll see white spots, the look of pealed clear, and scratches along the ring of the outer, which can't have been made from rocks.

Just so unhappy as I paid $4700 for these rims w/ tires.

I have only driven this car about 800 miles since putting the rims on. I have only ever washed the rims with soap and water, as advised by RH.

RH says they've never seen this problem. They told me they were going to replace the rim with the white spots. I even talked about buying a whole other set of rims so I have 2.

That was a month ago (and before the 2nd set of white spots on the different rim showed up). They have not called be back or returned any of my emails the past 2 weeks.

While I work this out with them (or try to), does anyone else have thoughts as to what is causing these visual imperfections?

Thx in advance.

Old 09-14-2009, 12:03 AM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

That white stuff is the rim goo to help mount the tire, it will wash right off. As you drive it, the stuff on the bead will work it self out.

On the clear, try using a little bit of polish on it, it might just be a dirty mark that needs to be cleaned off.
Old 09-14-2009, 08:50 AM
ironimages
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok, I'd love to see how the car looks with those rims, if you could post a picture of the entire car with the new rims. Thanks.
Old 09-14-2009, 08:56 PM
aminewyork
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Stealth 993
That white stuff is the rim goo to help mount the tire, it will wash right off. As you drive it, the stuff on the bead will work it self out.

On the clear, try using a little bit of polish on it, it might just be a dirty mark that needs to be cleaned off.
Thx.. yes.. the rim goo did eventually wash off and I wondered if it had come chemical reaction to the rims, but RH assured me that was not the case.

Re the white spots... they are in the clear will not come off with soap or polish.

I'm stumped

Quick Reply: Problems with RH rims - does anyone have suggestions on the cause?