Sponsored by:

Good results bleeding clutch system

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2009, 07:18 AM
Jeff Ward
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Good results bleeding clutch system

I just wanted to report my good results with bleeding my clutch system. My 993 is an early 1995 cab, just turned 30,000 miles. The clutch pedal was often "hanging" at the top as so many report. Also, frequently it would require a tug on the shifter to pull it out of gear and into neutral when parked on a slight slope. I think some others have reported that problem, too.

I flushed out the clutch system with fresh fluid, and bled the system thoroughly. Both problems I was experiencing went away immediately. I've put a hundred miles or so on my 993 since and all is well.

So you might give bleeding the clutch system a try if you are experiencing either or both of those problems. Bleeding the clutch is simple, but boy is it hard getting to the bleeder valve on the slave cylinder. It took me a couple hours total by the time I was done. I was glad it was over, too.

Jeff
Old 09-09-2009, 02:38 PM
stace
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

I have just bled my system as well. while a shop bled my brakes a couple of years ago I bled both brakes and clutch this time. what came out of the clutch slave bleeder was UGLY! almost black. obviously been forever since it was flushed. I haven't put many miles on the car yet but, if you have any issues with your clutch pedal hanging (mine has) this is most certainly the first thing to try!!!
Old 03-23-2010, 11:47 PM
windydog
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I just bleed my clutch, and the pedal is stuck to the floor?
I first tried a suction bleeder, but then switched to a power bleeder.

I spend 1 hr trying to flush the system. The pedal seems to work when i have the power bleeder presurized and hooked up. HELP!!
Old 03-23-2010, 11:56 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 100 Likes on 51 Posts

Fill up your reservoir ALL the way to the top. The clutch circuit pickup is located higher in the reservoir than the brake fluid pick up. Fill her up all the way, to the top all the way -- rebleed and you should be fine.
Old 03-24-2010, 12:01 AM
kjr914
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by windydog

I spend 1 hr trying to flush the system. The pedal seems to work when i have the power bleeder presurized and hooked up. HELP!!
You bled the system dry of fluid and have air in the system. flatsixforme and I just discovered this phenomena on his C4S... Pushing in the clutch causes it to SNAP to the floor... VERY disconcerting!!!

On the C4S (NA cars maybe somewhat different), there is a very small section of the brake fluid reservoir at the back (nearest the driver) that seems to hold the fluid for the clutch. HOWEVER, if you bleed too long without adding fluid, this section drys up and does NOT auto fill from the rest of the reservoir. This is easy to see (well, SHOULD have been easy to see before we did) if you are using ATE Blue fluid.

My guess is this keeps a broken clutch hydraulic line from draining the entire reservoir and possibly robbing you of brakes (possibly the reverse is true too...).

The fix is easy....fill up the reservoir and bleed SLOWLY, refilling often. We used the Motive power bleeder with good success, pumping it up to 20lbs or so. Get a friend to watch the reservoir for you while you work the bleed nipple so you don't run out of fluid.
Old 03-24-2010, 03:08 AM
JM993
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by windydog

I've run into this issue too. You may have some air in the system near the master. If you're sure you've bleed the system properly, top off the reservoir and get in the car. Press the pedal down and reach down and pull it off the floor. Keep repeating this process and you will find that the pedal will slowly start returning when you depress it.

Hope this helps,
Joe
Old 03-25-2010, 01:02 AM
windydog
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

thanks everyone!!!

Quick Reply: Good results bleeding clutch system