993 Forum 1995-1998

What does New RS suspension Cost?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2013, 11:38 AM
il pirata
Banned

Received 166 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Verburg
I'm not 100% familiar w/ the issue w/ the Bilsteins in back, probably has to do w/ the upper spring perch.

I use and like the Rennline rear monoball shock mount, it has oe seals. They should work w/ the PSS shocks, if there is any doubt call Rennline up and talk to them, one of them has a very track oriented 993. On mine w/ Cup shocks I needed the 12mm bushes, AFAIK only Moton uses the 14mm bushes
The issue with the Bilstein PSS 10's was described in this this thread by jackal2513

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ferrerid=93689

The Rennline product looks very nice...will give them a call.
Old 02-14-2013, 03:05 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 536 Likes on 371 Posts

Originally Posted by il pirata
The issue with the Bilstein PSS 10's was described in this this thread by jackal2513

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ferrerid=93689

The Rennline product looks very nice...will give them a call.
I see, the issue is that PSS comes w/ top spring perch designed for the stock mount and it is incompatible w/ the RS or after market mount.

So you need a new top spring perch to use the RS or aftermarket mount. I bought mine from Hairy Dog Garage in Ct. but most any good shop familiar w/ race cars should have one.

I think that Bob Gagnon gave me this pic of an RS rear mount and Rs upper spring perch

Here is a Rennline, in addition to this there are 2 bushes, one on top and one on the bottom of the monoball assembly that adapt the sjock shaft to the inner race of the monball, you can see them in Bobs pic

A top spring perch that is compatible will fit the spring and be tight to the shock shaft
Old 02-14-2013, 07:13 PM
il pirata
Banned

A top spring perch that is compatible will fit the spring and be tight to the shock shaft
Exchanged emails with Rennline they say I need 14mm in front and 12mm in back to match up with PSS 10's. They are also going to begin making top hats, waiting on price.
Old 02-14-2013, 07:23 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Exchanged emails with Rennline they say I need 14mm in front and 12mm in back to match up with PSS 10's. They are also going to begin making top hats, waiting on price.
14mm front and 12mm rear is right for all the Bilsteins I've seen

The aftermarket spring perches come in stock sizes, they are standardized to 2.25", 2.5" 60mm etc

My Eibachs are 2.25"
Old 02-14-2013, 07:45 PM
il pirata
Banned

14mm front and 12mm rear is right for all the Bilsteins I've seen

The aftermarket spring perches come in stock sizes, they are standardized to 2.25", 2.5" 60mm etc

My Eibachs are 2.25"
Many thanks Bill.
Old 02-14-2013, 09:45 PM
TheBen
Drifting

Received 126 Likes on 94 Posts

what is the benefit of using different top hats for the pss10's?
Old 02-15-2013, 02:23 AM
ard
Pro

Received 161 Likes on 99 Posts

Martin,

I have the full RS short shift kit. What if anything does the FD Motorsports shift rod do for you that the RS short shift kit doesn't already?

TIA

/alex

Originally Posted by Martin S.
Sorry to tell you this, but the RS suspension was built by the factory in 1994/95 on available components...this technology is a wee bit long in the tooth IMHO...I say this because I can really afford all the genuine RS stuff...but I do have a little
RS Motor Mounts
RS Tranny Mount
RS Side Skirts
RS Front and rear sway bar
RS Front Splitters (Sold them)..went to a 993 RS CS tail and GT2 front splitters
Short Shifter

Non-factory stuff
ERP camber plates
ERP rear shock mounts
ERP Camber Arms
ERP Toe Arms
Walrod front bushings
FD Motorsports shifting Rod
FD Motorsports muffs (Stock for the 92 dB effect needed at laguna Seca)
Fab Speed 200 cell cats and X pipes
Andial semi-LWF and Andial recommended clutch with 50,000 mile on her.

For suspension I have PSS9s with stock springs and valving
For wheels, I use O-Z Allegritta from Tire Rack, $1,700 delivered.

After all is said and done, I recently drove a Cayman S. Good god do they handle, quiet too and haul ***. If you want the best of all possible worlds, for cheap, try a 2003 996 Turbo...it's like driving around in a comfortable leather chair..yes they do handle, and yes they go very fast, quickly. A early GT3 is another late model rocket ship with lots of handling and incredible power.

I hope "Baby" (My 993) doesn't read this; she might conclude I was pondering an affair, and kicking her to the curb, not really, just flirting a bit. I love my little 993 RS CS poseur car, and street legal in California too.
Old 02-15-2013, 10:26 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 523 Likes on 346 Posts
Default SSK

Take a look at the diagram found on the FD Motorsports web site. This may clear up your question. I couldn't seem to attach it.
Old 02-15-2013, 10:29 AM
il pirata
Banned

Update on spring hats (or top hats) from Rennline. They say the PSS 10's spring hats work with their rear struct mounts so you only need them for the front to work with their camber plates. About $100 6061 aluminum. Should be available starting in about 4 weeks.
Old 02-15-2013, 10:35 AM
il pirata
Banned

Default Rear RS Suspension Question

I understand that in the front when you lower the 993 to RS height you need to add the RS wheel carrier and RS tie rods to get the suspension geometry aligned properly and dial out bump steer.

How is the done in the rear (talking geometry and not bump steer)? It seems like this may be done with the side panels. Can the stock side panels accomplish this with aftermarket bushings (Elephant for hard rubber) or do you need to go to RS panels or?
Old 02-15-2013, 10:47 AM
il pirata
Banned

Originally Posted by ard
Martin,

I have the full RS short shift kit. What if anything does the FD Motorsports shift rod do for you that the RS short shift kit doesn't already?

TIA

/alex
It is basically the same...as I understand it their kit includes the RS shifter ( I may get corrected). Most people add their golden rod at the same time...this corrects the looseness the original factory part has. The green parts are the short shift kit, the yellow the golden rod.
Attached Images  
Old 02-15-2013, 10:56 AM
il pirata
Banned

Originally Posted by TheBen
what is the benefit of using different top hats for the pss10's?
The RS top hat is for a much bigger spring diameter and does not fit inside the PSS 10 spring. You can't use the original PSS10 top hat because its a completely hollow ring but it needs to be solid so that it buts up against the monoball. So you need to have one fabricated if you want to use RS struct mounts in the rear you with PSS 10's.

The same issue can come up with various combination of shocks and camber/struct mount vendors.
Old 02-15-2013, 11:07 AM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

I understand that in the front when you lower the 993 to RS height you need to add the RS wheel carrier and RS tie rods to get the suspension geometry aligned properly and dial out bump steer.

How is the done in the rear (talking geometry and not bump steer)? It seems like this may be done with the side panels. Can the stock side panels accomplish this with aftermarket bushings (Elephant for hard rubber) or do you need to go to RS panels or?
At RS height you don't need to do anything special in back, just a normal corner balance and align

When you get down really low, Cup/RSR height then you use solid rear sub-frame mounts, the flat ones move the suspension up into the chassis.

I haven't seen the Elephant sport rubber sub-frame mounts but assume that they retain oe suspension height wrt the chassis
Old 02-15-2013, 11:14 AM
il pirata
Banned

At RS height you don't need to do anything special in back, just a normal corner balance and align

When you get down really low, Cup/RSR height then you use solid rear sub-frame mounts, the flat ones move the suspension up into the chassis.

I haven't seen the Elephant sport rubber sub-frame mounts but assume that they retain oe suspension height wrt the chassis
Thanks again Bill!

Good question re retaining oe height. Will ask...if it works much cheaper than buying an RS side panel. I have been told they sell the rubber to Porsche. Here is a pic...cannot tell if the height is the same.
Attached Images  
Old 02-15-2013, 11:18 AM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

It is basically the same...as I understand it their kit includes the RS shifter ( I may get corrected). Most people add their golden rod at the same time...this corrects the looseness the original factory part has. The green parts are the short shift kit, the yellow the golden rod.
The FD Golden rod replaces the sloppy rubber connection in the shift linkage w/ a solid flex joint
This is a Platinum rod which is the same as a Golden rod except that it has a boot on the joint, stock is below it

Golden rod connection w/o bootie

Quick Reply: What does New RS suspension Cost?