Sponsored by:

Manual oil cooler fan switch - my install

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2009, 01:41 AM
eichlerman
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Manual oil cooler fan switch - my install

There is a ton of great data on P-car.com and this forum but it can be confusing when you compare them against each other. I would like to add some suggestions that may help somebody who wants to do the mod in the future. You do not need to remove the CCU. Just loosen the wire looms under the dash and locate the G12 (green/black) wire. Cut and attach a wire to each wire end. Do not remove the center console; just push the wires under the console to the switch panels. I ran the wires to the removed dead switch plug. I bought on Ebay a 944 switch 944 613 235 00. This switch is black in color but has an internal light. I used acetone to remove the hazard symbol and trimmed it to fit the existing 993 hole. Using a couple female pin connectors I attached the wires to Pins 39 and 49. I also ran 12V to Pin 58 and ground to Pin 31. Now when the switch is depressed it breaks the line to the CCU turning on the high speed fan, and activates the internal light. The light is not bright but gives you a reminder, and is better that installing exterior LEDs, in my opinion.
Attached Images   
Old 09-08-2009, 02:02 AM
mongrelcat
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for posting, very concise yet well thought out and complete. It looks easy enough to do that I may take a shot. My cooler fan is currently on Hi, full-time. Is there only one -- VERY obvious -- pair of grn/wht wires to deal with?

PS: Have you posted pics of your car? The mats (from what I can see) look clean enough to eat off of -- but the avatar pic is sooo overly compressed, doesn't do your car justice IMHO.
Old 09-08-2009, 02:17 AM
eichlerman
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mongrelcat
Thanks for posting, very concise yet well thought out and complete. It looks easy enough to do that I may take a shot. My cooler fan is currently on Hi, full-time. Is there only one -- VERY obvious -- pair of grn/wht wires to deal with?

PS: Have you posted pics of your car? The mats (from what I can see) look clean enough to eat off of -- but the avatar pic is sooo overly compressed, doesn't do your car justice IMHO.
There are two bunches of wires routed to the CCU. The G12 wire is in the larger bunch and is the only green/black wire. With some good light it is obvious. I had my seat out which provided great access.

I bought the car in '06 from a Rennlister. It is very clean and very pampered. There are many pictures in various Rennlist threads and was in the calender two years ago. I am a very happy caretaker.
Old 09-08-2009, 02:23 AM
mongrelcat
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks Tim, good thing I didn't snip the grn/wht pair already.

... Off to search for pics of your car, somehow I don't ever remember seeing a G/R CxS here
Old 09-07-2020, 08:25 PM
m32
Rennlist Member

Received 300 Likes on 146 Posts

Does the fan engage automatically still or is it fully manual once the switch is in? Thanks

Edwin
The following users liked this post:
abiazis (12-11-2023)
Old 09-07-2020, 09:12 PM
71-3.0-911
Rennlist Member

Received 769 Likes on 518 Posts

Originally Posted by m32
Does the fan engage automatically still or is it fully manual once the switch is in? Thanks

Edwin
Still works as originally designed but gives the option of manual override.
The following users liked this post:
abiazis (12-11-2023)
Old 09-07-2020, 09:27 PM
m32
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 71-3.0-911
Still works as originally designed but gives the option of manual override.
thanks Scott! 🙏
Old 09-14-2020, 10:41 AM
m32
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by eichlerman
There is a ton of great data on P-car.com and this forum but it can be confusing when you compare them against each other. I would like to add some suggestions that may help somebody who wants to do the mod in the future. You do not need to remove the CCU. Just loosen the wire looms under the dash and locate the G12 (green/black) wire. Cut and attach a wire to each wire end. Do not remove the center console; just push the wires under the console to the switch panels. I ran the wires to the removed dead switch plug. I bought on Ebay a 944 switch 944 613 235 00. This switch is black in color but has an internal light. I used acetone to remove the hazard symbol and trimmed it to fit the existing 993 hole. Using a couple female pin connectors I attached the wires to Pins 39 and 49. I also ran 12V to Pin 58 and ground to Pin 31. Now when the switch is depressed it breaks the line to the CCU turning on the high speed fan, and activates the internal light. The light is not bright but gives you a reminder, and is better that installing exterior LEDs, in my opinion.
I bought the same switch but I don't see a pin 39. Is that the right pin?
Also, there are two 49s(49 and 49A) and 58s (58, 58L and 58R). Can you confirm which pin is the one you used? thanks

Edwin
Old 12-10-2023, 12:11 PM
JSF
Instructor

Received 107 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by m32
I bought the same switch but I don't see a pin 39. Is that the right pin?
Also, there are two 49s(49 and 49A) and 58s (58, 58L and 58R). Can you confirm which pin is the one you used? thanks

Edwin
I think he meant 30 (9 is close to 0 on a keyboard). Have you installed this?

Quick Reply: Manual oil cooler fan switch - my install