993 Forum 1995-1998

Paint Questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2009, 11:52 PM
944/951guy
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paint Questions

I have a few question about Painting, Paint correction, and Paint Care.

The reason for these is my car is coming close to getting resprayed and im just interested in a few questions I had.

1. What is the Best paint Brand to use?
2. Is Diamond Paint a good Brand?
3. If my car will be painted and I have Orange Peel, does it come out with a cut & Buff?

And thats it for now, Thanks.
Old 09-08-2009, 12:11 AM
chaoscreature
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

944/951 Guy,
I am not familiar with Diamond Paint. Myself and most good body shops use PPG products. They have good and bad lines of course, but the Deltron and Global paints are very good. I would try and get the best clear coat you can afford (and that is legal in your state).
If you do get some orange peel, it can be wet sanded out and then buffed. This is NORMAL since nobody has perfect paint right out of the booth.
Good Luck!
Old 09-08-2009, 12:17 AM
CincyScott
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by 944/951guy

The reason for these is my car is coming close to getting resprayed and im just interested in a few questions I had.

3. If my car will be painted and I have Orange Peel, does it come out with a cut & Buff?

Question 1: Personal opinions may vary, but I've always liked Glasurit (by BASF). It's what Ferrari and Porsche use. Porsche also uses Spies Hecker, but not alot of shops use it. I use PPG in my restorations because it's easy to get around Cincinnati, is better than average, and I'm set up for it.

Question 2: Never heard of it, doesn't make it bad (although I've been around the body industry for about 20 years).

Question 3: Yes. It's just not possible to spray paint without ANY orange peel. It's created in the spraying and drying process, period. How *much* is a factor on temperature, paint reducer, and technique. Cutting and buffing creates fantastic results, just make sure that they don't cut you too far (or you'll be thin in spots).

The best way to find a top-notch body guy is to find out who works on the super high end stuff in the area. Porsches are not high-end enough...we're talking Ferrari, Lamborghini, Rolls, Bentleys, etc. In Portland, there should be enough of those cars to warrant some nice shops.

Start with one of those shops, get an estimate, then figure out if you can justify the premium they charge over the other quotes you got. If you're like me, and can spot bad work, then you just save a little longer for the good guys. If you think that all body work is equal, go with someone you feel comfortable with but isn't necessarily the cheapest either. It definitely pays to shop around.

Good luck,
Old 09-08-2009, 09:40 AM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

Received 450 Likes on 281 Posts

Those are good questions but there's more to consider. Does the shop have a good, clean, state-of-the-art paint booth? The paint quality is one thing but it's extremely important to keep trash out of the paint. Clearcoat over trash is still trash. Also, no amount of paint is going to cover poor body prep. While both are important, as in most jobs, preparation is 95%, execution is only 5%.
Old 09-08-2009, 01:38 PM
944/951guy
Three Wheelin'

The guy who is doing the work is Excellent and has fixed cars for me before. I am not sure if I want to tell him to use a diffrent paint because that might mean he has to spray/reduce it diffrently and maybe mess up the paint job so I guess ill just have him spray what he usually uses which is diamond
Old 09-08-2009, 01:44 PM
CincyScott
Rennlist Member

The guy who is doing the work is Excellent and has fixed cars for me before. I am not sure if I want to tell him to use a diffrent paint because that might mean he has to spray/reduce it diffrently and maybe mess up the paint job so I guess ill just have him spray what he usually uses which is diamond

Out of curiosity, why would an 18k mile car need paint work? Damage?
Old 09-08-2009, 02:24 PM
944/951guy
Three Wheelin'

Yea it had rocker panel damage and im fixing it for myself and I am a perfectionist to say the least.
Old 09-08-2009, 02:24 PM
944/951guy
Three Wheelin'

Or i mean getting it fixed not fixing it myself.
Old 09-08-2009, 06:03 PM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

Received 450 Likes on 281 Posts

Clarification: Is he painting the whole car or just sections? If just sections, paint selection and color matching is extremely important. In two-stage, you won't be able to tell until clearcoat is applied. Might want him to shoot a test panel b4 commiting.
Old 09-08-2009, 11:38 PM
chaoscreature
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If your painter always uses a certain brand and you like the way it turned out on other cars he has done, then I would defintely recommend having him use what makes him comfortable. Painting, like most trades, is an art form and you get used to doing things a certain way. If you trust him, let him use whatever he wants. I have seen better paint jobs out of Maaco than some people have shot with thousands of dollars in "fancy" Kustom paints.
Old 09-09-2009, 12:05 AM
944/951guy
Three Wheelin'

He is painting the whole car.
I love his work but I dont want orange peel and I know it is impossible and you have to cut/buff.
But I have no idea to go to cut/buff
Old 09-09-2009, 12:48 AM
air eater
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why would you have him paint the entire car if you only have rocker panel damage?
I think most would agree here that it would be a bad idea to paint an entire car with only 18,000 miles.
Imho a total repaint will dimish its value significantly.
Old 09-09-2009, 01:10 AM
daltvater
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I just had my 993 done with some PPG product (not sure which), one month later I ended up getting the entire car redone in Glasurit. Night and day difference between the two, that said the first place was an average auto body shop, the second place that sprayed the Glasurit was a high end restoration/body shop. I'm sure the quality of the work made a difference but what do I know! All I know is it looks better with Glasurit.

Good luck enjoy the results!
Old 09-09-2009, 12:32 PM
CincyScott
Rennlist Member

He is painting the whole car.
I love his work but I dont want orange peel and I know it is impossible and you have to cut/buff.
But I have no idea to go to cut/buff
Cutting and buffing isn't rocket science, most body shops do it on 90% of the cars they send out the door, but it's just to remove minor imperfections, like a piece of dirt, or a sag or a run.

Cutting and buffing a whole car is no big deal, they just need to make sure that there's enough paint on there to account for it.
Old 09-09-2009, 01:02 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 866 Likes on 571 Posts

IMO
Glasurit or Spies Hecker are better choices.
but
I always use Dupont Imron when I paint bikes

cheers

Craig
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Paint Questions