Sponsored by:

Wheel well cleaning - redux

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2009, 01:47 PM
Matt Lane
Rennlist Member

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts
Default Wheel well cleaning - redux

Inspired by the many posts and pictures here in the 993 forum, I tackled my wheel wells for the first time this weekend. Based on the results, I'd consider this a "phase I" ast best... The car itself has led a pretty easy life and has only 35K miles - I assume I was the first owner to tackle the project.

I used a variety of brushes, from soft to stiffer nylon, a gallon of simple green, and a garden hose. I spent about 45 minutes per wheel. In that time, I was able to clean away most of the surface dirt and "some" of the caked on grime.

At the back of the wheel arch, which I know is painted silver, I was hardly able to break through the caked on dirt/undercoarting. It's a rough, hard, bumpy finish, dark brown/black.

I did a LOT of vigorous scrubbing, and was not able to dislodge it. I am not sure this is years of dried on grime - ie. more scrubbing required - or undercoating/cosmoline which requires a stronger solvent. It was not gold colored like the cosmoline on the suspension pieces, so I am not sure.

Result so far is a 100% improvement, but I am no where near done. But before I tackle it again, I need to regroup and get better materials. Do you think I need stronger solvent (Xenit? Other?) or more pressure (more scrubbing or a pressure washer?)

Thanks in advance from those BTDT.

Best,

Matt
Old 09-01-2009, 01:54 PM
cdmdriver
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Where are the pictures?
Old 09-01-2009, 02:03 PM
Matt Lane
Rennlist Member

Good question! Just lost my camera on vacation...

Old 09-01-2009, 02:21 PM
JasonF
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My rear wells had an unbelievably thick coating of dirt that had hardened into an asphalt-like barrier that was impervious to everything - except Xenit.

What was strange is that the rest of the car's undercarriage is in good shape. Anyway, it took several applications of the Xenit (and letting it sit for a while) before the crud would chip off. Now my wells are nice and shiny. I liberally rinsed the wells with water after using the Xenit to make sure there was no residue left behind.
Old 09-01-2009, 02:39 PM
shanepotter
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Matt Lane
Good question! Just lost my camera on vacation...

check here:

http://ifoundyourcamera.blogspot.com/

it might turn up
Old 09-01-2009, 02:49 PM
flatsixforme
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I too tried simple green first when I did this job...my wheel wells laughed at me...it clearly was not strong enough. I did not have Xenit at that time but this would be a good option to at least try. I ended up using some degreaser/cleaning product...stiff nylon bristle brush...and most of all elbow grease! The trick seamed to be to let the solution sit and break up the surface layer, then scrub that off and repeat. Whatever it is, it seems like nothing penetrates the very top layer. Scrub hard until you see the painted bumps come through...then you have to be more careful with the scrubbing so as to not scrub the paint off...ask me how I know. It was only in a little spot and on the tops of the bumps where they are now grey primer-ish but I had to switch to a softer brush to be safe. Anyway, make sure you are careful with what kind of brush you use once you are on the paint. I spent 1.5hours on each wheel well...but then again they had twice the mileage yours do. Good luck in round two!!!
Old 09-01-2009, 03:09 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

You need a degreaser, & better APC. Basically you coat the wheel wells, let it sit, then scrub, hose off repeat. It will take quite a bit of time. Get a wooded dowel & flatten the end, use it to scrap off some of the thick stuff.
Old 09-01-2009, 03:12 PM
cmoss

didn't our cars come with a cosmoline (sp?) coating on the underside/wheel wells?
Old 09-01-2009, 03:24 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by cmoss
didn't our cars come with a cosmoline (sp?) coating on the underside/wheel wells?
Yes, there is a bit on there, but most seams to be on the plastic liners.
Old 09-01-2009, 04:59 PM
roche
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

once you get through the tough stuff, the wheel wells are pretty easy to keep clean. after cleaning mine, i apply an undercarriage dressing that keeps it looking fresh and also helps the dirt and road grime from adhering to all the parts you just cleaned.

i probably clean in there every 8 weeks or so.
Old 09-01-2009, 09:18 PM
Matt Lane
Rennlist Member

Good advice guys - thanks. If not strength in numbers, at least there's hope!

I will repeat with some stronger stuff and more elbow grease. "Asphalt" like coating is a good description of what I'm dealing with...

M
Old 09-01-2009, 09:38 PM
Arena993
Race Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I know it's a job, but the finished look is great. Also once they're done they are easier to keep clean.

Mike

Last edited by Arena993; 12-21-2012 at 06:49 PM.
Old 09-01-2009, 10:15 PM
boulderbobo
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I cleaned mine up when I installed the PSS10 suspension.

Bob-
Attached Images    
Old 09-01-2009, 11:28 PM
trophy
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

What is the trick to getting the liners back to black, mine are clean (definatly not as clean as some) but they always look greyish. My car is more of a track car so one thought was the sandblasting effect. any tips?
Old 09-01-2009, 11:38 PM
mongrelcat
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by trophy
What is the trick to getting the liners back to black...
http://www.detailedimage.com/Chemica...P187/16-oz-S1/

http://www.detailedimage.com/Chemica...P226/13-oz-S1/

http://www.detailersdomain.com/adams...iagespray.aspx

Quick Reply: Wheel well cleaning - redux