993 Forum 1995-1998

Hydroplaning Help

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2009, 06:27 PM
Warpig
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by black ice
Oh, I agree with you on both. but the original question implied that the 993 naturally hydroplanes more than other cars. The RWD and engine-out-back thing doesn't help, but there is no reason a 993 should be ill mannered in rain when driven reasonably.

I was making a point that I did not feel like my 993 was so unstable such that I felt I had to pull over in the right lane and drive 40mph when it gets misty outside.

dave
I got caught in the rain in my 993 earlier this week and it was a scary experience.
First let me mention when I bought the car 1000 miles ago the PPI tech showed me the oil leaking from my stock struts/shocks in all four corners. I was told to replace the shocks/struts & get an alignment & corner balance at a minimum. This was the biggest problem with the car at PPI. I plan on doing that asap but have been taking the car out for a cruise here & there. I drove it to work one day last week and got caught by a surprise thunderstorm in the afternoon. Started driving her home and became terrified very quickly. unless the pavement was perfect and I mean perfect that car was wandering all over the lane. I was in the right lane on the expressway for most of the ride home doing 40 mph and was scared to death of loosing control at that speed because the car was wandering so badly. I considered pulling off the road but decided against it because god only knows what irregularities in the pavement you will hit in Chicago when pulling onto the shoulder. Anyway I made it home OK but I WILL NOT do that again. Any chance of rain & the car sits until I can get the suspension sorted out over the next month or so. BTW when the pavement is dry the car seems to handle at least as well as any other car I have ever driven.

Nick
Old 08-30-2009, 08:26 PM
g_murray
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You should try and organize a ride with a fellow Renner who has had the PSS9/10 or Bilstein M030 fandango installed in their car.

To coin a phrase - NIGHT AND DAY!!!

Got mine done at 20,000 miles, a year after I got the car from the previous owner (who sold it to me at 19,000 miles). Of course I went "full throttle" with ViperBob with the Bilstein/M030/swaybar fandango and had the car lowered to RS height.

To coin yet another phrase, THE CAR DRIVES PLANTED.

I let the PO drive the car shortly thereafter, and he was amazed, dumbfounded, enthralled, smitten, awe-struck at how the car 'behaved'. He said, (quote): "Christ, Gerry, she drives better than the time I took her off the lot at Silver Star Porsche, March 1996."

Nuff said.

Gerry
Old 08-31-2009, 08:55 AM
ga993
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I actually did get PSS10s installed about 500 miles ago, and yes, it is night and day. It's almost hard to believe they don't come out of the factory like this it is so amazing. Anyways, had the alignment done w/ the PSS10 install, so fairly sure that isn't causing the wandering in big water puddles. Who knows, I'm just going to slow down in bad weather.
Old 08-31-2009, 11:27 AM
burton
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Since you have recently installed PSS-10s and sub-500 mile tires, your alignment is probably the culprit. I'd bet the kinematic toe is off.

Quick Reply: Hydroplaning Help