993 Forum 1995-1998

Not a good day in Michigan...

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2009, 05:09 PM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 224 Likes on 141 Posts

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm just curious about why these photos shouldn't be posted without the consent of the owner? Especially if these photos were taken on a course open to the public?
+1 and sucks to see such damage
Old 08-26-2009, 05:21 PM
VNTGSPD
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have no issue with the photos being posted and I do think it is a reality check for all of us. I personally do not take any cars to the track that I am not willing to have an off track event with. I think I am the minority with this belief when I attend a track day though.

Those that are prepared for the possibilities are in a better position to deal with the outcome if something bad happens. Just look at the recent posts by jdistefa for an example.

I DO think it is good etiquette to block out the license plate before posting ANY picture of somebody's car.
Old 08-26-2009, 05:27 PM
pete000
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As requested photos removed, sorry for any discomfort or misunderstanding.
Old 08-26-2009, 05:33 PM
Juha G
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by VNTGSPD
I have no issue with the photos being posted and I do think it is a reality check for all of us. I personally do not take any cars to the track that I am not willing to have an off track event with. I think I am the minority with this belief when I attend a track day though.
Would you have an issue if these were photos of your car involved in an accident were you were at fault (DUI or something), taken by someone you've never met and posted all over internet for everyone to see?
Courtesy is the word my friend.

Originally Posted by VNTGSPD
I DO think it is good etiquette to block out the license plate before posting ANY picture of somebody's car.
Question is, do you also drive around with your own license plates blocked?
Old 08-26-2009, 05:34 PM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

Received 450 Likes on 281 Posts

"I personally do not take any cars to the track that I am not willing to have an off track event with." Totally agree...That's why I run a tricked out MINI Cooper S.
IMHO, there's another reason why these photos should not be posted. The internet is open to anyone...including insurance companies. It's getting more and more expensive for clubs to run their events and more insurance companies are excluding cars while participating in any on-track events, even DE's. I've heard that there are actually "snitches" out there who attend events and take down license numbers. Giving them "ammo" like this instance just makes it tougher for all of us.
Whatever the cause, the driver of that car has my sincere empathy..."Been there, done that".
Old 08-26-2009, 06:00 PM
2Many Cars
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I personally don't have a problem with posting the photos as long as the license plate is obscured. Even professional drivers make mistakes - as long as the driver is OK I just don't think it's a big deal.

As to alerting the insurance companies, you're too late - they already know lots of people do this. If a "snitch" has any traction it's because someone was lying to the insurance company about being on the track. IMHO if you bend it and it's not covered you should own up to it and not try to pretend it happened somewhere else. Insurance fraud drives up all our rates.
Old 08-26-2009, 06:03 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by Juha G
Would you have an issue if these were photos of your car involved in an accident were you were at fault (DUI or something), taken by someone you've never met and posted all over internet for everyone to see?
Courtesy is the word my friend.

Question is, do you also drive around with your own license plates blocked?
Juha, if someone is stupid enough to get behind the wheel when they are drunk, I believe they have waived their right to expect courtesy from others. After all, what courtesy did the drunk who caused the accident show to the persons who share the motorway with him/her?

Courtesy is a two way street, no?
Old 08-26-2009, 06:16 PM
Juha G
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by goofballdeluxe
Juha, if someone is stupid enough to get behind the wheel when they are drunk, I believe they have waived their right to expect courtesy from others. After all, what courtesy did the drunk who caused the accident show to the persons who share the motorway with him/her?

Courtesy is a two way street, no?
Ok, perhaps the DUI was not a very good example.
The point was that it is not nice to have people dwell on your misfortune.
Take a better example, what if you got diarrhoea and crapped your pants. Then someone takes a photo of you with your pants full of crap and posts it here for everyone to see. Would that too be ok, or would you feel a bit violated?
Like I said, there's nothing illegal in posting the photos, just that it is uncourteous towards the persons involved in the accident IMHO.
Old 08-26-2009, 06:17 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 98 Posts

Ok, perhaps the DUI was not a very good example.
The point was that it is not nice to have people dwell on your misfortune.
Take a better example, what if you got diarrhoea and crapped your pants. Then someone takes a photo of you with your pants full of crap and posts it here for everyone to see!?
My answer is "Depends"
Old 08-26-2009, 06:20 PM
Juha G
Rennlist Member

My answer is "Depends"
LOL! But you got my point...
Old 08-26-2009, 06:37 PM
flatsixforme
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

My answer is "Depends"
Well played!!!

While I agree there there is a consideration of courtiousness to not posting photos of an accident (crapping pants or wrecking car), I for one found these pictures sobering as to the reality of performance driving and the potential consequences. They will likely stick with me during my next track event as a reminder to enjoy myself but not to push it that extra little bit. So, I did find value in seeing them for my own safety/preservation of my car...whether permission was given to post or not.
Old 08-26-2009, 06:40 PM
cabrio993
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Ahhh... the drama....
Old 08-26-2009, 09:25 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 414 Likes on 232 Posts

Take a better example, what if you got diarrhoea and crapped your pants. Then someone takes a photo of you with your pants full of crap and posts it here for everyone to see. Would that too be ok, or would you feel a bit violated?
Probably fine to post that **** in OT.

Andreas
Old 08-26-2009, 10:47 PM
kjr914
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by pete000
As requested photos removed, sorry for any discomfort or misunderstanding.
Hey, I'm requesting they get put back up!!!! Doesn't my vote count too? (or are we in Florida again? sorry bad OT political joke...)

Black out the plate sure, but if anyone has the perception that on a public track people won't take pictures of your triumphs AND disasters, they are only kidding themselves. (And if you're trying to take the insurance company for a ride.....You are a LIAR and it will come back to bite you.)

I agree with several posters that such a post reminds us ALL of our IN-abilities as drivers as well as our ability. Regardless of who is at fault in the accident in question, it serves as a reminder that street/DE/TT/race driving can have consequences and therefore should be approached with a level of regard that can be forgotten as we become more experienced drivers. There is a lot to learn from the pictures being posted.

my 2c,
Old 08-26-2009, 10:52 PM
guardsredcab
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I feel left out! Since the pics have been removed, I can't even join in the criticism... can someone blur the license plates and repost the pictures?

The Yoyeur

Quick Reply: Not a good day in Michigan...