Sponsored by:

Targa wind deflector removal

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2009, 04:08 PM
fullbooker
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Targa wind deflector removal

I'm wanting to remove my wind deflector temporarily to work on the sun shade track, etc. Has anyone done this?
Hate to screw it up. What needs to be done and what can be avoided?

Thanks!

Phil
Old 08-24-2009, 04:21 PM
Amfab
Addict
Rennlist Member

Open the roof

You have to take off the trim piece that goes across the top of the windshield, the one with the interior light. This is called the crossbow trim section.

The screws for the sunvisors hold it up and the cover kinda hooks around on the side toward the back of the car. It will then come off and if you aren't carefull it will fall and yank hard on the wires to the light, so it is a good idea to pull the light first (tag the wires)

There are some small black screws revealed across the bottom of the cross piece (called the cross bow), I think there are 6 if I remember, that will come out and that will let you pull out the black metal piece that kinda wraps around the sunshade in the front and partially blocks the 8mm bolts that hold on the wind deflector mounts. These mounts look like little curved felt thingies that fit into the curved slots.

Remove the 4 bolts and take the curved things off and then the deflector can be titled and slid off the little arms that lift it up

Note 1: Porsche lists the bolts as Torx Screws M5 x 12. If this is the case you may not have to remove the cross bow trim piece and the black metal cover next to the sunblind. I do not know if the fact mine are 8mm head hex bolts due to the PO working on the car and switching them, or since mine is a 95 build, they may have later changed to Torx. Many other parts have changed from the early tops. In either case, torque is 5.5Nm or 4ft lb. I did the explanation above on removing the other stuff incase you have the hex bolts or need to remove that cover to work on the sun blind.

Note 2: Porsche has upped the tension spec on the sun blind, I believe the original factory spec was pre-tensioning with 19 turns and now the spec is 21 turns

Note 3: there is an upgrade to the plastic thingies that snap on to the end of the sun blind support bars, The things that help guide the supports into the track

Note 4: in step 5 below the picture shows the nut that allows adjustment of how the deflector sits. Dont mess with it unless yours needs it.

Im trying to find the documentation on 2 and 3 to confirm, but I'm having trouble...

For more information go to MikeJ's pcarworkshop.com to the 993 TSBs section or click here
Attached Images  

Last edited by Amfab; 08-24-2009 at 05:18 PM.
Old 08-24-2009, 05:20 PM
fullbooker
Rennlist Member

Andrew,

Thanks!

Phil

Quick Reply: Targa wind deflector removal