120K Mile Service: Engine Drop or No?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2009, 02:35 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 866 Likes on 571 Posts

Originally Posted by kjr914
VNTGSPD,
+1 on that. There's a few of us here in SD (kjr914, flastsixforme, cgfen) that I'm sure would show up to lend a hand! <--like this! Ok, AFTER the drop.

I was just asking that same question and I've only got to do plug wires....seems thats a pain with the engine in the car. Probably overkill just for wires.

Cheers,
Keith
kjr, the "hardest" part about doing the plug wires is removing / re-installing the wire looms that are screwed into the fan cover.
removing the engine won't help with that!

even changing the plugs isn't that bad, just do #4 exhaust LAST, that way you'll know all the tricks to get to difficult plugs!

cheers

Craig
Old 08-21-2009, 02:39 PM
flatsixforme
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Yup, consider that thing dropped! Craig (cgfen) and I met you at the last OCR AX. I'd be glad to lend a hand if I can...heck with all the help offered we might not even need a jack as we'll be able to just lift the whole car off the ground!

Keep us posted
Old 08-21-2009, 02:55 PM
VNTGSPD
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by flatsixforme
Yup, consider that thing dropped! Craig (cgfen) and I met you at the last OCR AX. I'd be glad to lend a hand if I can...heck with all the help offered we might not even need a jack as we'll be able to just lift the whole car off the ground!

Keep us posted
Yeah, I remember meeting you guys. I was glad to see you made it out and I apologize for not following through on my intention to stop by your pit and hang out for a while. Somehow those days just get away from me.

Cheers.
Old 11-09-2009, 04:20 PM
VNTGSPD
Rennlist Member

Well, the time has come and I am preparing to drop the engine on my 993. My plan is to drop it Saturday Nov. 21st or 28th, do all of the maintenance, then re-install it the following weekend (Nov. 28th or Dec. 5th).

Soooo, all of you that expressed an interest in this project are welcome to chime in or send me a PM if you can make it. If you can, let me know what days work best and I'll try to make this as simple as possible.

The more the merrier as in this case I think many hands will make for light work.

Thanks!

David
Old 11-09-2009, 04:31 PM
MDamen
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Post pics and commentary! Sounds like there is lots of interest from people who are contemplating the same maintenance, me included.
Old 11-17-2009, 09:57 PM
VNTGSPD
Rennlist Member

Bump for the weekend!

I'm tentatively planning on doing the engine drop this Saturday. If you think you can make it, I'd love to have the help! Just pm me or respond to this thread.

BTW, the car turned 120K miles on my way to Vegas for business on Monday. Sure beats flying!
Attached Images  
Old 11-17-2009, 10:14 PM
alpinadvl
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

cool pic... love it..... that's the way it should be taken.... but...I am having trouble figuring out where your tach needle is pointing.... I have never seen that before in my daily driving experiences....is that a real engine speed number?
Old 11-17-2009, 11:30 PM
Evan Fullerton
Instructor

Dave I wouldn't mind lending a hand and learning some of the 993 tricks. I have done 4 914, 1 911 and 3 Boxster R&Rs.
Old 11-17-2009, 11:34 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 98 Posts

Damn, sure wish I could be there, but I'm out of town this weekend. Enjoy, and have a terrific time!
Old 11-18-2009, 12:10 AM
rsr91128
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by cgfen
kjr, the "hardest" part about doing the plug wires is removing / re-installing the wire looms that are screwed into the fan cover.
removing the engine won't help with that!

even changing the plugs isn't that bad, just do #4 exhaust LAST, that way you'll know all the tricks to get to difficult plugs!

cheers

Craig
I am sure the proper fanatics and mechanics will attack this post, but I changed wires on my 95 coupe a couple of weeks ago and after staring at the intake for a while I took a long thin screwdriver and gave one of the white "plugs" that the wire holders screw into on the fan housing a little pry and it almost jumped out of the housing it fits so loosely, so I just popped out all 4 that you can't get to, the screws were still tight and had expanded the clips as far as they could they just aren't that tight in the housing. Once they were loose you can pull the wire bundles up and remove the screws to seperate the wires. Then remove the farthest right wire seperator completely and the 3 lower right plug wire ends (unscrew) and they will pull under the A/C bracket rod. I did the same thing to install the new wires, it was a little bit of a puzzle remembering the order but not too bad. Didn't have to take anything off the engine ( not even the back of the airbox or the fan boot). I figure this saved at least 2 or 3 hours. Not saying you have to break the rules and try this but it worked for me and the wires are routed exactly like they were from the factory with all seperators and holders in place.

Oh yeah, watch out for the vacuum lines coming out of the rubber elbows, I kept rechecking them as I went because they come out pretty easy.

Good luck, wish I was closer so I could come and play.

Last edited by rsr91128; 11-18-2009 at 12:56 AM.
Old 11-18-2009, 09:32 PM
analogman
AutoX

If there's room, I'll join. I'll also bring a case of Sierra if that's acceptable for everyone.
Old 11-19-2009, 02:34 PM
VNTGSPD
Rennlist Member

Analogman - love to have you. I sent you an email (PM did not work).

Thanks.
Old 11-19-2009, 03:29 PM
flatsixforme
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Crap, I would love to come up for the fun but can't make it this Sat. It sounds like you have at least a couple hands so that's good. Good luck!!!
Old 11-19-2009, 03:49 PM
PEGJY
7th Gear

Hello,

I did the same service a few weeks ago: There is absolutely NO need to drop the engine and I would recommend not to drop it.
Why should you ? disconnecting everything, having to reconnect everything, risking to break costly parts, etc...
Leave your engine where it is, take 2 days to change the parts you have planned, and then enjoy the ride again.

The day when you will really need to drop the engine is far away, don't bother with tis kind of task if you don't need.
Old 12-02-2009, 07:05 PM
VNTGSPD
Rennlist Member

Time for an update and to rally the troops!

With the help of Evan Fullerton and Analogman on the board we were able to drop the engine about two weeks ago. The process was actually very smooth except that I forgot about the 32mm wrench I needed. After that slight delay, everything came out as planned.

Since then I have done the following:

clean off 120K miles of oil and road grime
new plugs, plug wires, caps & rotors
oil filters
trans oil
hydraulic lifters
aluminum valve covers/gaskets
chain cover gaskets
distributor belt
air filter
reinforce engine mount crossbar
bleed all hydraulic systems

Additional "surprises"

replace CV boots
replace fan (found scrapes on housing and fan is bent but bearings all feel good ) I painted housing and will monitor new fan for scrapes
remove SAI system (my check valve was heavily corroded)

Soooo, now I'm looking to put the engine back in on Saturday Dec. 5th, or Monday Dec. 7th. I'd like to do it Saturday afternoon but am open to whenever extra help is available. My goal is the get the engine mounted in the car but I will work as long as everyone else is interested. I can easily assemble the ancillary items myself over the following few days. If this is something that interests you, please reply with your availability or PM me.

Oh yeah, pictures to follow when I get my camera downloaded and get the images from Analogman as well.

Thanks!

Quick Reply: 120K Mile Service: Engine Drop or No?