Sponsored by:

Cab Top Controller (Again!!)

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2009, 07:41 PM
vern1
Drifting

Received 136 Likes on 84 Posts
Default Cab Top Controller (Again!!)

My brother and i removed the cab top controller, resoldered all the pin connections (so I thought) and reinstalled. All in all a PIA. Worked for a couple of days but now back to the same problem. I may pull it and try again before having to buy a new unit ($500 I'm told!!)

Anyone know exactly which pins control the front locking motors?? Maybe i just need to spend more time on the soldering for these? The top always goes up and down and the problem has always been these locking motors - damn

Thanks
Old 08-19-2009, 09:50 PM
stace
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

you will need to do a search but I remember some good threads in the past addressing this issue. its usually a cold solder joint somewhere on the circuit board of that controller and not just the pin connections. its a matter of checking every solder point and resoldering any questionable joint. good luck!
Old 08-19-2009, 10:59 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

I don't remember anyone ever isolating the exact joints. I solved my latch problem by resoldering several joints that seemed to houve round hairline cracks.
Old 08-20-2009, 09:41 AM
vern1
Drifting

Received 136 Likes on 84 Posts

We resoldered all the pin connector points , about 16 i think (you cant resolder every connection on the board as there's probably 100 of them and they are too small.)

I read all the previous threads but you are right that no one ever isolated the particular solder point for the latching motors.

Guess i will just have to try them all again unless someone has a schematic that shows which ones to focus on

thanks
Old 08-20-2009, 12:45 PM
porscheralph
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 15 Posts

Check the circuit board itself for any cracks - the board can flex and those cracks will result in intermittent faults and could cause the problem you are experiencing.
Old 08-20-2009, 12:56 PM
911MSN
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i fixed mine some time ago. see https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...em-solved.html

One thing that may help i sto remove old solder and use new one. if you have older ones with lead, it's even better.
Old 08-20-2009, 02:33 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Shortly after I got my car the CTC started giving me problems, I read on here about the cold solder joints and took my controller out and resoldered the joints. It looked to me like they had been done before. My soldering skills were very rusty since I hadn't done much of it in 25 yrs. so I'm sure I didn't do a great job with it. I put it back together and it worked for about a month then failed again. I ordered a new one from Sunset (for about $325 I think) and I haven't had a problem since.

My suggestion would be to try it at least once yourself (or get someone who has skills better than yours if you're not good at it), maybe you'll get lucky.

I would also suggest the remove old solder first method (I wish I had).

Quick Reply: Cab Top Controller (Again!!)