Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Parting out 993 track car.... The LIST is up :)

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2009, 12:36 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 533 Likes on 263 Posts
Default Parting out 993 track car.... The LIST is up :)

Hey guys,

Well, Mosport finally bit me

Thankfully (for my pride), not a driver error, maybe just a mechanical judgement error, and a good learning experience.

For those the know Mosport, I spent the day running 1:35/1:36 laps... had spent some careful time with alignment and suspension setup and the car was running sweeeeeet. The Paul Guard LSD from Steve W was a revelation as well . IMHO, if you're still running a factory LSD, well, dump it.

Going down the hill after turn 4 mid-afternoon, hot day, pushed the pedal at the bottom before 5a and hmm... not slowing down. Fluid was new (Motul)... the cause was inadequate pad venting/pad float. Brakes had just become a little soft that lap, no pedal drop, just a change in feel. So, chalk that one up to experience.

Funny.... the infamous Ludwig Heimrath had just been looking at my car and said "Matt, you should run more brake, you can never have enough brake" (fit your head in a corner and repeat ad nauseum with a German accent for amusement). Anyway, words from the master, probably the guy with the most track hours (among the living) at Mosport. I'm going to tell Ludwig that he jinxed me .

So, I made it around 5a, tried to keep the car pointed in a favorable direction - knowing what was coming - and drifted off between 5a and 5b at about 140km/h. Went into the wall obliquely, left front corner first.

A brief aside, since Mosport has a nasty habit of killing a few people every year: Thank you, thank you safety equipment - full cage, halo seat, 6-pt harness, HANS device.... well, I walked away. I continue to be amazed by the people that show up at Mosport with a motorcycle helmet, T-shirt, and street belts.

Sad thing is that my buddy - a very smooth hand at the wheel - put his lovely no-expense spared acid dipped seam welded M3 track beast into the wall an hour later.... just past 5b.

As Vonnegut said, so it goes.

Anyway, was looking to step up to some type of Cup car, so perhaps the timing is impeccable. I'm in the midst of stripping the car, will start to post goodies here over the next few days-weeks.

And YES, I will post pics of the car for the voyeurs....

Last edited by jdistefa; 09-04-2009 at 09:00 PM.
Old 08-19-2009, 12:43 PM
Van1
Drifting

Received 64 Likes on 47 Posts

Sorry to hear about this.

What did you have for mufflers? I'd like to be first in line if you had something good. Looking for RSRs, Fister IIIs, or perhaps Supercups.

Can't wait to see the list of goodies.

Mike
Old 08-19-2009, 12:45 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 533 Likes on 263 Posts

LOL.... Supercups. They're yours for $300 USD if you want 'em.
Old 08-19-2009, 12:46 PM
gonzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Wow Matt... that sucks??? I guess??? Glad you're okay! GL on the cup car search!!!
Old 08-19-2009, 12:49 PM
g_murray
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not a pleasant feeling knowing that the 'impact' is literally imminent and knowing - short of being able to stop and reverse time itself - that, seconds before, you were in control, and now you are merely along for the ride.

Your demeanor says a lot about your personality and ability to take events in your stride and _deal_ with them - events that would cause others to ...panic.

My heart goes out to you. Yes, this is definitely a major setback, but at the end of the day, YOU were prepared (via your equipment and driving abilities) for such an event and had your equipment-ducks-lined-up so that you would walk away.

I have NO doubt that you will get back into the sport again ...and even learn to 'grin' as you pass that very corner, as you say to yourself ..."not today mate..."

Cordially,
Gerry
Old 08-19-2009, 12:53 PM
mike993c2s
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Matt, sorry to hear that, but I'm glad you're OK. What brakes/pads were you running BTW?
Old 08-19-2009, 01:05 PM
Paddy
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Dang Matt, sorry to hear about your incident, glad you're okay. It took me a while to get back full bore after my incident a few years back.

I'd be interested in the tranny with the LSD.
Old 08-19-2009, 01:07 PM
ninjabones
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

First, glad you are okay. Second, I know how you are feeling... been there done that (my friends now affectionally refer to turn 10 at WG as "turn glen"). It is a horrible thing to have happen to you and your baby. Shakes the confidence... makes you think awfully hard about why it is that we do this crazy sport. It takes a while to shake the cobwebs loose and get the confidence back. But again, the big picture is that you weren't hurt. Were you insured? If yes, there is light at the end of the tunnel and you can go hog-wild planning your next venture. Shopping, modding, and planning is half the fun for me. Now that my car is (nearly) done, I'm starting to itch for another project (spec boxster build this winter perhaps). Anyway, keep your chin up.

Glen
Old 08-19-2009, 02:26 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 418 Likes on 233 Posts

Matt,
Very sorry to read this. If I can ease the pain by purchasing a few goodies, let me know....

Andreas
Old 08-19-2009, 03:29 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 562 Likes on 200 Posts

I'm really sorry to hear this. Unfortunately I've been down that road and wish you the best of luck. I'm glad you weren't hurt. Everything else will sort itself out.
Old 08-19-2009, 04:16 PM
TAI2
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very glad you are OK. Looking for sways and other suspension parts (coil-overs, etc....). Thanks.
Old 08-19-2009, 04:36 PM
Van1
Drifting

Received 64 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by jdistefa
LOL.... Supercups. They're yours for $300 USD if you want 'em.
That's a heck of a deal but I am going to pass. I think Supercups may be more than I am looking for in the sound department.
Old 08-19-2009, 04:38 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm interested in stuff as well... Tranny, suspension & whatever you have in the engine and other stuff as well (bodywork, interior).
Old 08-19-2009, 04:39 PM
onefstm
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

How about ERP rear camber, toe, and kinematic links?
Old 08-19-2009, 04:39 PM
Michael S.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would be very interested in the LSD, if you're parting it separately... Maybe even the whole tranny, though I imagine that is beyond my current modification budget...

Quick Reply: Parting out 993 track car.... The LIST is up :)