Sponsored by:

Quick alignment (toe) question.

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2009, 02:26 AM
targagr
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Quick alignment (toe) question.

Just did an alignment and the car seems to run great except for a little understeer.
runs very straight on a straight line at high speeds no "floating".
howeverthe total toe for the front is: 0.17*(0.08* on each side) and the rear is total toe: 0.56(0.28 on each side)
is this too much toe??
car runs great...
should i have them reduce the toe??
will it corner and handle turns better if i reduce the toe and will it affect my straight line if i reduce it.
need some help on this.

thanks
Old 08-19-2009, 06:48 AM
Garth S
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

The front toe spec is 5'/side, or 5/60=0.08, which is what you have; however, the rear toe spec is 10'=0.16/side ...... for a street car, I would be happy with the front, and reduce the rear toe - if for nothing else, to reduce tire wear.
Old 08-19-2009, 08:14 AM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 483 Likes on 256 Posts

For sure the car will turn in better with 0 toe in the front end. Just depends how much 'wander' you're willing to tolerate at speed on uneven street surfaces.

Re. your rear toe, agree with Garth, but make damn sure the kinematic is setup properly (does the place that did your alignment have a 993 specific kinematic tool? If not, they don't know what they're doing!). If you reduce the rear toe without proper kinematic settings you could have a twitchy rear end.

Since you're in Montreal, I'm happy to loan you my kinematic tool if you need it
Old 08-19-2009, 11:37 AM
trophy
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

It really depends on what you do with the car, if its street only and a little toe on the front will help reduce the tramlining on poor roads. If you do some DE track days I would move to 0 toe in the front.

With respect to the rear, as Garth said too much rear toe will cause excessive tire wear and will actually cause oversteer at the limit more than understeer.

Thankfully, the Porsche service manual says you can adjust toe without effecting camber or kinematic, this is the same experience I have had adjusting toe on the rear. As Matt said if the guys don't know what Kinematic is then find another shop....
Old 08-19-2009, 12:29 PM
FranzBlamRacing
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We recommend you leave the front as it is for now and go to .14 per side on the rear. This set up has worked well for us over the years.
Old 08-19-2009, 03:21 PM
targagr
Pro

thanks for all the great info.
ok great i thought i had too much toe in the front but i guess i wasnt calculating it correctly..(thanks Garth).
ok so everyone agrees that i should lessen my rear toe. i dont do allot of DE's so ill keep the front toe as is cause i like the car to be stable at hi speeds.
trophy is right...i dont need to do the kinematic if i just touch the toe.the mech at the dealership said the same thing.
i guess i should just add some more negative camber in the front to correct the understeer and balance it out with the rear??

again the car goes great exept for the understeer....butr ill correct the back not to ruin my "new" tires.
Old 08-19-2009, 10:08 PM
targagr
Pro

thanks for the offer jdistefa!
Old 08-19-2009, 10:17 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 483 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by targagr
thanks for the offer jdistefa!
Anytime
Old 08-19-2009, 10:21 PM
trophy
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by targagr
thanks for all the great info.
ok great i thought i had too much toe in the front but i guess i wasnt calculating it correctly..(thanks Garth).
ok so everyone agrees that i should lessen my rear toe. i dont do allot of DE's so ill keep the front toe as is cause i like the car to be stable at hi speeds.
trophy is right...i dont need to do the kinematic if i just touch the toe.the mech at the dealership said the same thing.
i guess i should just add some more negative camber in the front to correct the understeer and balance it out with the rear??

again the car goes great exept for the understeer....butr ill correct the back not to ruin my "new" tires.
You can also do some balancing of the understeer/oversteer through some changes to tire pressures.... Additional Negative on the front will help as well.

Quick Reply: Quick alignment (toe) question.