O/T PayPal Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2009, 06:23 PM
CP
Race Director

Received 334 Likes on 239 Posts
Default O/T PayPal Question

Hi,

I don't have a Paypal account. If someone wants to pay me using his Paypal account, can he Paypal directly into my checking account? If so what info would he need to do the deal?

If not checking account, can he Paypal into one of my credit cards?

Believe it or not, I went to Paypal cite, asked their 'expert' Sarah, tried to call them etc. and could not get an answer. They have one of the least user friendly site EVER.

Thanks for the education, as always.

CP
Old 08-17-2009, 06:29 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 415 Likes on 233 Posts

Have him send you a check, USPS money order, or certified funds. Done.

Andreas
Old 08-17-2009, 06:30 PM
ceboyd
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You have to sign up for a paypal account and can then TRANSFER the paypal funds to your checking account for no fee but there is no way to get a direct deposit without having signed up for a paypal account (sorry).

And it is not possible to have a 'credit' issued to your credit card unless you paid someone with your credit card through paypal and got it refunded (then it goes back to your credit card).

Probably not what you wanted to hear but the way it is.
Old 08-17-2009, 06:31 PM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

Received 459 Likes on 287 Posts

I'm no expert but, unless you have a PAYPAL account, I don't think they'll make a transfer to your bank account. Even if you have a PayPal account, it usually takes 3 or 4 days for them to xfr from your PayPal account to your bank account. Just have the individual send you a certified check or USPS money order.
Old 08-17-2009, 06:41 PM
CP
Race Director

Received 334 Likes on 239 Posts

Well,

You folks just reaffirmed my resaons NOT to have a Paypal account. I really dislike the fact that it is a one way street.

Thanks.

CP
Old 08-17-2009, 09:56 PM
stace
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

you can have the buyer pay via paypal using his / her credit card and then you can request a traditional check sent to you by PayPal. that involves another small fee and doesn't resolve the "hold funds" issue AcademicTech describes. it works for some situations and not others, obviously.
Old 08-18-2009, 02:06 AM
ShdwFx
Rennlist Member

Received 230 Likes on 166 Posts

Well I'll chime in here in defense of PayPal given that I work for the company. You do have to sign up for a PayPal account, but the advice so far is correct in that the sender cannot send you the funds directly to your checking account - nor do you want them to as that would mean that they know your checking account details. One of the things that makes PayPal secure is that neither the buyer nor sender know each other's bank account or credit card info. Once you set up your PP account, you can easily link your bank account to it so that you can withdraw (or send) funds to (from) your bank account.

Normally PayPal does charge fees for business account users, but you can also receive what's called personal payments. If the sender sends funds to you from either an existing PayPal balance or from their bank account, there's no fee to the receiver (just have them mark the purpose of the payment as services or other). However, if they send funds to you using their credit card, then fees are definitely involved as it costs PayPal to process the credit card. Once you have funds in the PayPal account and have linked your bank account, you can tell it to withdraw funds to your bank account which typically takes 2-3business days for settlement. Hope that helps.
Old 08-18-2009, 09:44 AM
95 C4 993
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I do in the neighborhood of $35,000 a year in PayPal transactions--combined vacation rental business and personal buying. Never once have I had an issue or problem.

Fee's are a part of doing business and I build them into my costs. Transactional items such as checks, money orders, and bank checks also have what I call hidden fee's involved--driving to the bank, which requires gas/time and the end result equates to money. Take a $1000 transaction at about $20 service feee, spend 30 minutes driving to bank (15+ minutes each direction) and factor in $100 an hour for your time (I equate time at $100 per hour) + gas= PayPal is a better route, for me that is.

Last edited by 95 C4 993; 08-18-2009 at 06:41 PM.
Old 08-19-2009, 11:42 AM
IamSMC
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CP
Well,

You folks just reaffirmed my resaons NOT to have a Paypal account. I really dislike the fact that it is a one way street.

Thanks.

CP
It only appears to be a one way street because you don't have a PayPal account.

Otherwise its a great option to use to pay and be paid for goods bought and sold.

Quick Reply: O/T PayPal Question