Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Drop With 2 Post Lift - Cart Dimensions?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 09:42 PM
JM993
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Engine Drop With 2 Post Lift - Cart Dimensions?

Since everyone is having fun with engine drops I figured I should join the party.

I've finally bitten the bullet and bought the last RS g50/31 transmission on the shelf (for now) in Germany I might as well replace the valve cover gaskets and timing chain covers (both are sightly wet) and some other stuff. So I've decided to drop and engine and trans together.

Since I have a two post lift, I'd like to have a steel cart (with reinforced plywood base) constructed by a local welder. I'd like the cart to have a nice wide bottom section with 6 small casters. This way I can lower the car with engine on the cart and then lift the body of the car up and away. I'm thinking the cart should have a should be about 3 feet tall (base to floor), 4 feet long (to support both engine and transmission) and 2.5 feet wide (to easily fit between the wheels). What do you guys think?

TIA,
Joe
Old 08-13-2009, 11:47 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

You only need to support on the heat exchangers and the tail of the transmission, but you can also support via the center spline of the engine.

I have a large table on wheels that I use to drop engines on my lift...its about 4' x 6', so its overkill. Just make sure the base of the cart is wide enough to offer stability since the engine is quite heavy.

However, I found the precision of the lift is not enough, and I use a few jacks on top of the table to make fine adjustments. What I was thinking about using one of the lift tables on top of my table so I can lift the engine slowly in, rather than dropping a heavy car body onto the engine.

Best of luck, its quite easy on the lift for sure!

Cheers,

Mike
Old 08-13-2009, 11:52 PM
jaholmes
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used a steel rolling lift cart with a 1000kg capacity. It worked very well. I only used a few pieces of wood to support both the engine and the trans.

Only thing I did was reverse the handles so it folded backwards instead of on top.

This also makes an excellent work platform because of the height.

http://www.gregsmithequipment.com/1-...k-p/httf50.htm

Old 08-14-2009, 12:32 AM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 415 Likes on 233 Posts

Joe,
That's awesome!!

Andreas
Old 08-14-2009, 12:35 AM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 225 Likes on 142 Posts

More info on the trans!!!!!
Old 08-14-2009, 02:09 AM
JM993
Banned

Thanks everyone - great info. Jim, the photo you attached is really helpful. Since at some point I'll probably be dropping other larger engines from other cars, it probably makes sense for me to have a larger cart constructed a la Mike J. From the looks of you pic, a 4 foot long base should be sufficent to support the engine and trans.

Andreas/Cactus, I think I'll start a new thread about the trans. I must properly blame Bill Verberg and Steve W for my now very empty checkbook.

Cheers,
Joe
Old 08-14-2009, 11:16 AM
boulderbobo
Three Wheelin'

Joe, Now I have transmission envy I wanted to mod some of the gears in my tranny but got scared off by the sticker shock. Based on your very detailed write up of the VRAM Conversion, you will have no problem tackling the engine removal/transmission upgrade project, especially with a lift.

Good Luck! We are looking forward to following your progress!

Bob-

Last edited by boulderbobo; 08-14-2009 at 11:35 PM.
Old 08-14-2009, 11:43 AM
mike993c2s
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds great Joe. Do tell us more about the new tranny! Let me know if you need a "hand"
Old 08-14-2009, 08:35 PM
JM993
Banned

Thanks Bob, I've already spent a decent amount of time reading your and Toga's posts. Great job! I'm sure I'll have questions along the way.

Mike, new post coming soon on the trans. Love to have an extra hand if it's convenient for you.

Joe
Old 08-14-2009, 10:28 PM
jaholmes
Drifting

Originally Posted by jmarch
Thanks everyone - great info. Jim, the photo you attached is really helpful. Since at some point I'll probably be dropping other larger engines from other cars, it probably makes sense for me to have a larger cart constructed a la Mike J. From the looks of you pic, a 4 foot long base should be sufficent to support the engine and trans.

Andreas/Cactus, I think I'll start a new thread about the trans. I must properly blame Bill Verberg and Steve W for my now very empty checkbook.

Cheers,
Joe
I think you really just need a T shape support. I used the heat exchangers as support. there is a very beefy spot on the bottom of the trans right where the half-shafts are. Thats where I stacked up the wood for support. The front of the trans is not very stable.

The other good thing about this lift cart is you can get the engine on an engine stand so you can do the SAI roto-rooter.
Old 08-15-2009, 12:41 AM
JM993
Banned

My car is a 95 - since I did my Vram conversion strangely there's no more SAI to roto-rooter......
Old 08-15-2009, 01:41 AM
mike993c2s
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jmarch
Love to have an extra hand if it's convenient for you.
Or a few extra brews......

Quick Reply: Engine Drop With 2 Post Lift - Cart Dimensions?