Old 08-24-2009, 02:41 AM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Carmel Concours on the Avenue

Originally Posted by timothymoffat
Great pics. Anymore of Speedy?
Thanks for asking: I just received this weblink from a new friend in Australia. The first motion shots (if 5 miles an hour counts).

The photogapher now uses one of them as his computer's desktop image.
Those that have PMed me for high-resolution shots should enjoy.

As I type, Speedy's featured on their homepage: madWhips.com.
Humbling & enthusiastic blog comments there at this moment, too.
The direct link: Porsche 993 Speedster at Carmel.

Lo-res versions:

Old 08-24-2009, 03:20 AM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Default On Laguna Seca Raceway

Originally Posted by curve lover
The first motion shots (if 5 miles an hour counts).
Faster 'action' shot...

Old 08-24-2009, 01:46 PM
2Many Cars
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I followed this Speedster out of Laguna on Saturday PM and have to say I really wondered if it was real. Sure looked good in any event.

Ooops! Now I realize that was you and your new project Curve Lover. Very pretty! It may not be factory but who cares - it sure looks it. I was in the silver 1980 Aston right behind you on the way out of the track.

Last edited by 2Many Cars; 08-25-2009 at 07:22 PM.
Old 08-24-2009, 05:57 PM
RJT
Lifetime Member

Received 317 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by curve lover;6842794As I type, Speedy's featured on their homepage: [URL="http://www.madwhips.com/"
madWhips.com[/URL].
Humbling & enthusiastic blog comments there at this moment, too.
The direct link: Porsche 993 Speedster at Carmel.
Very cool Jager! Could not of happened to a nicer guy with a gorgeous wife AND car

I could post the kiss picture here, but I will not
Old 08-24-2009, 05:59 PM
alpinadvl
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Dear JoAnne and Jager (sorry I didnt give you the oomlau above the 'a') :...

--> Can you each start your own threads entitled "Jager's (curve lover) thread" and "JoAnne's (RJT) Thread" ?

It will be much easier to sort and follow your comments on all things 911 (RJT) and all things Speedster (curve lover)... and much easier for me to engage in the dialogue !

Seriously, one of the highlights of my dizzying trip Monterey weekend was meeting you guys and your respective spouses (who we all depend on to support and fuel our respective car insanities).

For those of you who have not met either Jager, (his wife), JoAnne or Robert - I feel bad for you... seek them out at any PCS / Rennlist / "Porscha" (<--- for you JoAnne) meet. You will thoroughly enjoy it... they are a riot to be around... and very engaging, warm, and friendly. I immediately enjoyed their company.. my only regret was not meeting them sooner ! And I hesitated staying another day, just to hang out with them (but... as a Monterey newbie I was overwhelmed so...i headed back to SF saturday night)

ps: Dont ever say "porsh" to JoAnne... you will get a "it's porsHA" response.... even though... it is really "por-sheh".... I didn't correct her... she doesnt seem like one who takes well to following direction ! )
Old 08-24-2009, 07:39 PM
RJT
Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by alpinadvl

Seriously, one of the highlights of my dizzying trip Monterey weekend was meeting you guys and your respective spouses (who we all depend on to support and fuel our respective car insanities).

For those of you who have not met either Jager, (his wife), JoAnne or Robert - I feel bad for you... seek them out at any PCS / Rennlist / "Porscha" (<--- for you JoAnne) meet. You will thoroughly enjoy it... they are a riot to be around... and very engaging, warm, and friendly. I immediately enjoyed their company.. my only regret was not meeting them sooner ! And I hesitated staying another day, just to hang out with them (but... as a Monterey newbie I was overwhelmed so...i headed back to SF saturday night)

ps: Dont ever say "porsh" to JoAnne... you will get a "it's porsHA" response.... even though... it is really "por-sheh".... I didn't correct her... she doesn't seem like one who takes well to following direction ! )

Alf,
You are such a major Pain in the ***.....................
It's not PorscHA it's Porschaaaa with the haaaaa being a soft haaaaaa
PorsHA is so very wrong just as wrong as Porsh.
Soon I'll be calling all the new ones VW's anyway.

So you noticed that I am also a Type A personality just like YOU?! I do take direction well when I HAVE to.

We enjoyed your company too. I am glad that I was seated next to you. I love talking about cars as you can tell. I think I could have sat there all night talking to you. It was fun from the first second.

More pictures:

Function at the junction. Make way. THese things don't have Porsche Brakes!!!!
Old 08-24-2009, 08:42 PM
mongrelcat
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Of all the amazing shots this one blew my socks off:

(Any interior shots?)

Anyway, many thanks to you all for sharing your great photos...
Old 08-24-2009, 10:49 PM
RJT
Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by mongrelcat
Of all the amazing shots this one blew my socks off:

(Any interior shots?)

Anyway, many thanks to you all for sharing your great photos...
If we only still had our Continental... The one pictured above was two VIN #'s in front of ours and the other White Continental at the show was one VIN # in front of ours. Had BadMax been at the Concours there would have been THREE consecutive 1955 Continentals there in a row, just as they would have been on the production line waaaay back when. Isn't that something?
Would of, Could of, Should of......

More pictures and of course, a story

This is Jeff Zwart's 906 (Carrera 6). Years ago Jeff brought this car to a PCA GPX Christmas Banquet in Long Beach years ago. Since the Banquet room was upstairs it had to be lifted up to the second floor on a freight elevator which consisted of only two skids. It was no problem driving it on to the skids and getting it up to the room, but after the banquet driving onto the skids, late at night, in the dark, with no end bumpers was a scary proposition. We were all sweating bullets that the car would not be driven too far down the skids and fall off. As you can see by the condition the car is in now, everything worked out okay.

Hey Alf... They aren't ALL 911's

Old 08-24-2009, 11:52 PM
JDHertz11
Race Car

Received 67 Likes on 26 Posts

I think we were standing next to each other here!!! Here's my version of the same cars.........
Attached Images  
Old 08-25-2009, 12:05 AM
RJT
Lifetime Member

That's funny. We probably were. I was the one with the tiny point and shoot just snapping away.

Old 08-25-2009, 12:09 AM
JDHertz11
Race Car

Received 67 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by RJT
That's funny. We probably were. I was the one with the tiny point and shoot just snapping away.
And to think that I was looking for green sneakers and straw hat!!!!
Old 08-25-2009, 12:51 AM
RJT
Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by JDHertz11
And to think that I was looking for green sneakers and straw hat!!!!
Had those on too!!!
You just weren't looking close enough
Old 08-25-2009, 02:54 AM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by RJT

Want some back story on these cars? Local Bay Area guys Larry Grove and John Byrne found them late '80's in Hong Kong or Taiwan or ??? as hacked up 934/935 wannabes. Picked them up for next to nothing, then spent probably more than they were worth to restore them. They've always been actively run here locally since they've been brought back to properly restored.
Old 08-25-2009, 12:53 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by RJT
If we only still had our Continental... The one pictured above was two VIN #'s in front of ours and the other White Continental at the show was one VIN # in front of ours. Had BadMax been at the Concours there would have been THREE consecutive 1955 Continentals there in a row, just as they would have been on the production line waaaay back when. Isn't that something?
Would of, Could of, Should of......
Hi JoAnne,
I just saw a '55 bent sunroof for sale (the rarest of the rare) and the owner and I were discussing the Continental badge. I've read in the past that all '55 Coupes and a few early '56 Coupes brought into the U.S.A. through the New York importer, Max Hoffman, were badged that way until Ford threatened to sue over it. Do you know if that's the case? I've been told by body craftsmen that if the front fenders are original, all of these cars have the factory holes for the badge in the fenders but most of them were bondo'd over to 'update' the look when they were re-painted. The end of the story is Porsche then changed the badging to 'European' through '56 and then dropped the badges altogether, probably sometime around when the T2 chassis came out (I am such a nerd for knowing all this crap.....)
Old 08-25-2009, 12:56 PM
RJT
Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by race911
Want some back story on these cars? Local Bay Area guys Larry Grove and John Byrne found them late '80's in Hong Kong or Taiwan or ??? as hacked up 934/935 wannabes. Picked them up for next to nothing, then spent probably more than they were worth to restore them. They've always been actively run here locally since they've been brought back to properly restored.
Sure! Back Stories are always great in my book. Here's more:

It was either Larry or John who commissioned Robert to make a scale model replica of this car. It took Robert a while to get it done just right as he always wanted his models to be and it turned out great..
I think they sold the car or one of them moved to Show Low Arizona because that is where the placard about the car said it was located now.

Quick Reply: Monterey '09 photo thread: Laguna, Pebble, Quail, etc