SOLD: a bitter sweet moment

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2009, 01:42 AM
CP
Race Director

Received 334 Likes on 239 Posts
Default SOLD: a bitter sweet moment

Hi Folks,

We just sold and closed on our home where we lived most happily for the last 14+ years. We designed and built the home ourself. Our kids basically grew up here. So parting with it is surely a bitter moment. For those interested, this is what we called home.

http://sites.google.com/site/1513fairwaydrive/

But on the other hand, the kids are out on their own. The house is just too big for the two of us. It is a chore maintaining this house, what with the yard and the inside and all. We want to travel more and not having this much house is easier for us. In addition, we are moving to another house we designed and built ourself. Just about 40% smaller than this one. And much closer to the rest of our family. As we grow older, that is a good thing. Also, we are now basically debt-free. So we can see a new chapter of more care-free living coming up.

I guess all good things must end some day. We just call ourself lucky to have lived here when we appreciated a larger home.

Best of all, now I have no financial reason to sell my Ruf. That is Sweet indeed.

See you folks around here.

CP
Old 08-08-2009, 01:48 AM
nota_troll
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

That's an empty pleasure. Good to have a little more freedom? That is good that you don't need to sell the Ruf.

We sold our childhood home after 17 years. Sad but necessary.
Old 08-08-2009, 01:50 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,641 Likes on 2,321 Posts

we wont have BBQ gathering anymore!!!

congrats pong. i think as your two kids move out, it's a wise descision to move to smaller home. i am hoping mia max grow up SOON so i can move to a 1000 sf home. i am tired of checking the garden and making sure everything is trimmed all the time.
Old 08-08-2009, 01:56 AM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 911 Likes on 549 Posts

Congratulations. Smart move. Not there yet, but wondering if I am to spend the rest of my retirement maintaining a big home. And even bigger yard.
Old 08-08-2009, 02:03 AM
95C4VanIsle
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pong,

Congratulations on the sale! I know the sale of the house was more important than keeping the RUF but it is great that you have managed to do both.

Invitation up here to our place is still available. Let us know when you want to visit.

Glad all has worked out well!
Old 08-08-2009, 02:06 AM
gonzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Congrats Pong!!! When I saw the title of the thread, I was afraid that you sold the Ruf. I'm glad you only sold your house!
Old 08-08-2009, 02:25 AM
FlatSix911
Nordschleife Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Pong, just remember that your new House will become your Home when your family is settled.

Downsizing is natural part of life and provides freedom to do other things ....

BTW, thanks again for hosting the local Rennlist BBQ in years past
Old 08-08-2009, 02:34 AM
CP
Race Director

Folks,

Thanks for the kind words. I realized we leave behind a wonderful home. But we are looking at different places to eventually design and build another one. I told my wife many times: Honey, the next one will be better. Why? Because we have learned a lot since we built this home. Not just better design and construction, but also how we like to live. This house is close, but still NOT perfect. The next one will be.

We are looking to replicate, if not better, the quality of life. Just in a smaller package. It is doable as we do not need all that space anymore. But one thing is for sure, we will create the next dig at a much lower cost than this one. Hopefully one of these days, I can post another thread on our next home.

In the mean time, look out for more Ruf and travel-related threads.

CP
Old 08-08-2009, 02:39 AM
97_993C2
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Congratulations, Pong. It truly is bittersweet, but to be debt-free and still own a home is a very empowering freedom imo.
Old 08-08-2009, 03:25 AM
CP
Race Director

Originally Posted by 97_993C2
Congratulations, Pong. It truly is bittersweet, but to be debt-free and still own a home is a very empowering freedom imo.
Dan,

We are most blessed. Actually besides the family home, we have a few more choices pieces of real estate in Santa Clara, Monterey, Carmel etc. All are debt-free. Once we can sell any (or all) of those (thus far those areas are quite dead) we will have no issues with retirement even.

Looking forward to the day of true liberation.

CP
Old 08-08-2009, 09:12 AM
early_grayce
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congratulations on the sale, and on keeping the Ruf
Old 08-08-2009, 09:51 AM
993inNC
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

great news Pong, congrats! Are you going to the house in Montery or did you sell that one?
Old 08-08-2009, 10:34 AM
Texas993
Race Car

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Pong, good for you and your wife. That must be a relief for you and your wife.

I just finished a vacation in Aspen CO and I trailered my RUF with me. My wife and I thoroughly enjoyed rides through the mountain passes combined with hikes and lunches in random CO towns. (All while the kids were in day camp.) It really made me appreciate how lucky I am to own this car! Enjoy yours! Take your wife for a drive and celebrate the sale of your home.

As always, all the best!
Old 08-08-2009, 11:15 AM
CP
Race Director

Originally Posted by 993inNC
great news Pong, congrats! Are you going to the house in Montery or did you sell that one?
Chris,

Nope. Monterey place is still not sold. Would love to sell that one. Luckily we have someone living there and that is self-sustaining. The second/vacation home market will be dead for quite a while now that Home Equity is but a thing of the past.

Blessing is that I could have a nice place to hang in future August Monterey Historics and Laguna Seca events. No go this weekend though.

CP
Old 08-08-2009, 12:31 PM
Raptor
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pong: Mixed emotions I suspect. The burden of upkeep is always there even if someone else does the maintenance. While the house is really nice, the 14 years is even more so. To have lived in this area is a privilege most don't realize. GL in the future.

Quick Reply: SOLD: a bitter sweet moment