Sponsored by:

Fan Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2009, 03:30 PM
helmet155
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Cactus
I do and will look at it when I get some downtime. Here is a pic of a plug with no home....any thoughts on this?
Umm yeah, that is the changeover valve that opens/closes the flap for the rear blower motor...at least on my 97 it is wrapped around the right side of the trumpet and the left side of the part connected to the belt driven engine fan housing.

IMHO, that should be connected on a 95...where was Andreas' connected?
Old 08-07-2009, 03:35 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 415 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by helmet155
IMHO, that should be connected on a 95...where was Andreas' connected?
6/94 build date. My engine has far less BS attached to it.

Andreas
Old 08-07-2009, 05:02 PM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 225 Likes on 142 Posts

So reading the article in The Essential Companion it says the second stage runs continuously. Guess mine has been unhooked since I got the car hopefully not harming anything??? I found a connection that would reach the one in the picture and hooked it up but still nothing.....WTF!?
Old 08-07-2009, 05:09 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 415 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by Cactus
So reading the article in The Essential Companion it says the second stage runs continuously. Guess mine has been unhooked since I got the car hopefully not harming anything??? I found a connection that would reach the one in the picture and hooked it up but still nothing.....WTF!?
Fool,
Your fan is hooked up (connection to the left of the blower motor), your resistor is in place, and your temp sensor in the blower tube is intact. That disconnected thing controls a vacuum actuator that opens and closes a trap door between those two sections of plastic piping. Something about keeping exhaust fumes out when the car is in reverse and the heat is on.

Or sumpin like that.

Andreas

Last edited by AOW162435; 08-08-2009 at 11:38 PM.
Old 08-07-2009, 06:06 PM
helmet155
Pro

I think your fan is operating fine. I do wish I knew the logic for the flapper opened/closed.. Andreas is probably correct as usual re: reverse, but I do believe the flapper opens up to provide more fresh air to the top of the juggies while the engine blower is on low or high speed and ignition on.

PS: I miss the juggies from the "Man Show"
Old 08-07-2009, 07:17 PM
99three
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Bottom line...does a new temp sensor need to be fitted to make the fan run after parking it and walking away? Is it the spring looking one in the tube?
Old 08-08-2009, 12:46 AM
autobonrun
Rennlist Member

Received 406 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by 99three
Bottom line...does a new temp sensor need to be fitted to make the fan run after parking it and walking away? Is it the spring looking one in the tube?
If someone knows how to insert an electrical diagram, that will help. There's a wiring diagram in the 993 Repair Manual, page 1154-1156. It appears to me that there is a "engine blower" relay in the circuit located on the carrier plate in the engine compartment. Also, a fuse feeds power through the relay to the blower. A bad relay or fuse could be the culprit as well as the temperature switch. Fuse 42 in the engine compartment appears to be the blower relay fuse. Check that fuse to see if it is blown. If it's good see if the relay has gone bad. I'd check all these parts before I buy another temperture sensor.

Trying to read German auto symbols is not the easiest thing but it appears there is also a blower resistor in the hot circuit to the motor. The temperature sensor we're talking about appears to vary this resistance causing the fan to run at different speeds.

By the way, the engine compartment has to be fairly hot for the temperature sensor to kick the fan on. Mine doesn't run every time I drive the car. Sometimes it takes a few minutes after shutting the car off for the temperature sensor to run the fan.
Old 08-08-2009, 04:35 AM
helmet155
Pro

Cactus - check this pic of Bart1's ride:

You should pull off your trumpet piece (2 bolts) and maybe you'll find that connector's mate.

If you did find it's mate, check fan operation by key on and rotate temp dial from cold to hot...and note the vacuum actuator position. If it changes you're working.

Quick Reply: Fan Question