Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

steering rack replacement help please

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2009 | 12:57 PM
ship4u
Advanced

Default steering rack replacement help please

It looks as though I am going to need to replace the steering rack on my 95. First question is, does anyone know of a good independent shop near Cleveland that might do the job?
Second question is concerning the rebuilt racks. Pelican sells a rebuilt rack for about $1,400 while ZIMS sells a rebuilt rack for $399.95. Apparantly, you can get a rack that is rebuilt by Porsche, but I do not know the price. Given the wide variation in pricing, does anyone have experience on the performance and longevity of the different choices out there?
Third, I looked up the job on the DIY website and it does appear to be not for the squeemish. Has anyone out there done the job themselves?

My local Porsche shop wants $3,200 to replace the rack, so I need to come up with an alternative.

Thanks,
Don
Old 08-04-2009 | 01:04 PM
flatsixforme
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ship4u
My local Porsche shop wants $3,200 to replace the rack, so I need to come up with an alternative.

Thanks,
Don
For that price I might just accept the fact that my 993 now has manual steering or pretend I installed the 964RS manual rack

There has to be a better solution out there than $1400 for a rebuilt rack. Why do you need a new rack...leaking or something else? I think last time I checked the Porsche one was right at $2k.
Old 08-04-2009 | 01:04 PM
VNTGSPD
Rennlist Member

If you are decent with a wrench, I'd go with one of the rebuilt racks available online and do the job yourself. It's a bit time consuming but not too difficult, especially with Rennlist resources at your disposal.

I bought mine from powersteeringpros.com (I think) for about $350 two years ago and it works great. The unit came in packed well and appeared to be in as new condition (from the outside anyway!) and also came with new boots. Took me about 2 1/2 hours to change by myself but I consider myself to be a better than average wrench.
Old 08-04-2009 | 01:37 PM
EckFe1
Pro

Hello Don,
That's where I got my pump from too. Powersteering pros. I installed it myself. It's not very difficult but it can get messy. My pump was leaking out of one boot. The nice thing is, that there is no engine in the way.
2 things were difficult. To get the boots back up on the tie rod end and lining up the steering rod with the shaft of the pump. I must have tried lining it up for 20 times. If you have a helper, then even those problems are manageable.
The replacement rack doesn't come with the mounting brackets. You'll have to transfer those.
All in all, I'd say if you can change spark plugs, you can install the rack.
Good luck, thinking about doing it yourself.
Ed
Old 08-04-2009 | 02:27 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ship4u
It looks as though I am going to need to replace the steering rack on my 95. First question is, does anyone know of a good independent shop near Cleveland that might do the job?
Second question is concerning the rebuilt racks. Pelican sells a rebuilt rack for about $1,400 while ZIMS sells a rebuilt rack for $399.95. Apparantly, you can get a rack that is rebuilt by Porsche, but I do not know the price. Given the wide variation in pricing, does anyone have experience on the performance and longevity of the different choices out there?
Third, I looked up the job on the DIY website and it does appear to be not for the squeemish. Has anyone out there done the job themselves?

Thanks,
Don

some sell ZF units, some don't. That is your price difference.
As I said in the other thread, a ZF unit can be sourced for $1100 with exchange.

Good luck!
Old 08-04-2009 | 04:54 PM
JM993
Banned

I've had a slow leak from my rack for at least the last 2 years. The leaks is so slow that I haven't needed to top off the power steering fluid. Question: Any chance a switch to Pentsoin fluid might stop the leak (my car is a 95 with ATF fill)?

I know if I'm really reaching but.....
Old 08-04-2009 | 05:18 PM
hodmandod
Advanced

Try this http://www.ianseuroparts.com/cgi-bin...ntaxle-993dept
They are a little cheaper. If you ask, they may have a gasket set and you can then rebuild your old one, total cost for the gasket set. It is not difficult, but does require some experience. I did it on my 944, which is a very similar rack. Philip
Old 08-04-2009 | 05:45 PM
hodmandod
Advanced

Just read the manual, and they say not to rebuild the rack...........
Old 08-04-2009 | 06:50 PM
mgianzero
Rennlist Member

What's a "ZF" rack? Is that the OEM brand?

The reason I ask is my rack is leaking significantly and I've found a local "reputable" shop that will rebuild the one I've got for around $400. Would this be my best option? Then I would have a OEM rebuilt rack, no?
Old 08-04-2009 | 07:20 PM
ship4u
Advanced

Originally Posted by hodmandod
Try this http://www.ianseuroparts.com/cgi-bin...ntaxle-993dept
They are a little cheaper. If you ask, they may have a gasket set and you can then rebuild your old one, total cost for the gasket set. It is not difficult, but does require some experience. I did it on my 944, which is a very similar rack. Philip
Thanks Philip! Now we're getting somewhere.

My only question now is if the ZF is worth the extra money over the other ones. Any more thoughts out there?
Old 08-04-2009 | 07:20 PM
VNTGSPD
Rennlist Member

The rack I got from Powersteeringpros.com (not affiliated) was a ZF unit that also had the tag on it with P/N info that matched the rack I removed. There would not be much money in making new hardware. They rely on the OEM rack you send them as a core to rebuild and sell to the next customer down the road. The only difference in any of these suppliers is who did the cleaning and assembly of the "remanufactured" rack and how many companies are between the assembly shop and you. PSP seemed to do a good job and there are many others that would likely do a good job as well.

I wouldn't be surprised on bit if the parts sourced by your local Porsche dealer as remanufactured are coming from a local supplier unaffiliated with Porsche or ZF anyway!
Old 08-04-2009 | 07:27 PM
ship4u
Advanced

Originally Posted by hodmandod
Just read the manual, and they say not to rebuild the rack...........
But all the ones that I've seen are "rebuilt." Here's the kit for $69.95
http://www.klaindustries.net/993rack/993rack.htm
Old 08-04-2009 | 10:16 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Actually, ZF does reman these units. Some suppliers sell ZF remanufactured racks. Some do not.
ZF reman'd racks run about $1100.
Others can be a lot less.
Not saying it can't be done by anyone else... but this is ZF's thing.
http://www.zf.com/na/content/en/impo.../Exchange.html
Old 08-04-2009 | 10:47 PM
Garth S
Rennlist Member

AFAIK, ZF is the OE for all 993 racks: ZF also offers remanufactured racks vs rebuilt units offered by various suppliers .... the former is at a price premium, as rehoning the rack bar is done as well as other time consuming steps wheras a rebuilder likely gives it a quick buff & dump in the solvent tank - and installs the seal kit ( as shown in the link above). Regardless, the latter is all that many racks need to experience a successful rebirth - and a long life.

I have also done a DIY home replacement, as have many others - so we can help if you replace it yourself: regardless, I would go for the $400 rack as most come with at least a year warranty ..... does the ZF reman. unit offer more? Besides, any competent shop can source and install if DIY is not a choice ..... and I'm sure it would be far less than $3200

Hell - for $3200, I can grab some tools & fly out to Cleveland ...
Old 08-04-2009 | 11:24 PM
cabrio993
Race Car

Must be your lucky day. See item #10 of the items for sale from this rennlister.

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...eed-to-go.html

Quick Reply: steering rack replacement help please