Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Second paint job in as many months (pics)

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2009, 10:09 PM
daltvater
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Second paint job in as many months (pics)

Thought I would post a few pics of my most recent paint job. It was recently repainted but the old shop that did it butchered the buff job and burnt the paint to hell. That and their re-assembly was a joke, seals sticking out, windshield not flush, hood/trunk gaps, lights hooked up backwards, overspray etc etc, it was a mess! I knew better than going to "Phil's Auto Body", my mistake was they had two 911's there the day I got an estimate. I figured the other guys must have known something I didn't. Hopefully they had better luck.

Take 2: This time I went to Eurotech Bodywerkes in Kirkland, WA. What a difference. The owner Mark and his crew was great to work with, they ended up re-painting the whole car and fixing all of the mistakes. Re-assembly was tight and correct. I've gone over the car several times and I can't find a single mistake. Not even a nub of dust, nothing. The craftsmanship is incredible. Paint looks much deeper this time around too. It's almost black at night and no longer has any hint of purple which Midnight blue can sometimes have.

Anyway, kudos to Mark and Eurotech Bodywerkes, if any of you Seattle folks need a body shop this is your place. The guy is a perfectionist!

**Now to clear bra or not to clear bra, that is my current quandary. I can't bare the thought of putting plastic all over the front of my new paint. I'm leaning towards gritting my teeth and taking the chips.

Before...

After...

Seattle on Sat. with my wife...
Old 08-02-2009, 10:13 PM
daltvater
Pro

Oh and before someone says it. My right rear Supercup is hanging low. Probably because it is being held by a coat hanger. Time for a new exhaust or time to learn how to weld.
Old 08-02-2009, 10:15 PM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

Received 460 Likes on 287 Posts

Beautiful job. Sorry you had to go thru that aggrevation but looks as tho it came out nicely. Suggest you wait a while and let that paint "cure" b4 applying the clear bra.
Old 08-02-2009, 10:17 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 864 Likes on 438 Posts

Outstanding job! So the first shop charged you all that money for an inferior job, plus the time you had to wait for it without the car... then you went through the same thing all over again, and probably got charged even more for this work done from a better shop?

Man, that must have been an emotional period of time. Did you lay into the original shop that did the shoddy work and let them know that it was truly inferior?

Glad to see the end result is amazing.
Old 08-02-2009, 10:22 PM
DocTock993
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

The car looks great - sorry you had such a painful experience to get it to that point.
Re: the Supercup - the mounting tabs seem to be the weakest point. They only charged me $20 at Midas to weld the tab back on to the muffler. If you need a new mounting tab, Fabspeed can probably send/ sell you one.
Old 08-02-2009, 11:06 PM
tjangi
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nice.... are you going to put the engine lid badge back on? or you like the clean look of it?
Old 08-02-2009, 11:46 PM
black ice
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Once that paint cures you should bite the bullet and get the clear bra - especially if you drive it often or if you track. Looks awesome.

dave
Old 08-02-2009, 11:47 PM
haygeebaby
Burning Brakes

Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

Nice - the grey wheels also look sweet.
Clear bra it man. When you start getting chips you'll wish you had.
The worst thing is washing that car and finding new chip marks.
Protect that investment.
Old 08-03-2009, 12:25 AM
daltvater
Pro

Originally Posted by Steve 96C4S
Outstanding job! So the first shop charged you all that money for an inferior job, plus the time you had to wait for it without the car... then you went through the same thing all over again, and probably got charged even more for this work done from a better shop?

Man, that must have been an emotional period of time. Did you lay into the original shop that did the shoddy work and let them know that it was truly inferior?

Glad to see the end result is amazing.
I'm letting it go, nothing but annoyance if I go back and make a stink. The original work was done under insurance for rock chips from a snow storm. So I'm only out $500 for the entire process. Not having the car for the summer kind of sucked but I'll live. I'm itching to get back on the track though.

Originally Posted by DocTock993
The car looks great - sorry you had such a painful experience to get it to that point.
Re: the Supercup - the mounting tabs seem to be the weakest point. They only charged me $20 at Midas to weld the tab back on to the muffler. If you need a new mounting tab, Fabspeed can probably send/ sell you one.
Good to know. Midas is now on my list.

Originally Posted by tjangi
nice.... are you going to put the engine lid badge back on? or you like the clean look of it?
Nope, not a big fan of the badge, just another thing to wax around. If someone doesn't know its a Carrera then they are hopeless anyway !!

Last edited by daltvater; 08-03-2009 at 12:59 AM.
Old 08-03-2009, 01:43 AM
C4S_fan
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Congrats - it looks great!

I saw your car last week as it was making progress at Mark's... I'm a huge fan of him and his crew, they do fantastic work and your car is yet another example.

Definitely do the clear bra... I'm very happy with it.
Old 08-03-2009, 02:21 AM
mongrelcat
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Really glad you got it sorted out, you have reached a level of patience that I have yet to attain....

I had some paint work done recently and was blown away by the job they did on the finish. Mark and Stephanie are great. Unfortunately I have a lingering issue with the windshield seal and now also the door seal. I've been back once, C4S_fan, I believe I saw your car there that day (or one just like it....) Anyway, they've been great, I know they'll get it solved.

As for film application call John at Metropolitan and see what you think. http://www.metropolitandetail.com/ (No affil....)They do VentureShield clear bra's. I was in last week to get my Element ready for sale and saw this $.5M beast with a fresh VentureShield on it....

Old 08-03-2009, 02:38 AM
luvmy356
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Love the picture..my kids always love to be in the front of the line when the bridges go up, next time I'll bring my camera along. I don't see any pedestrians/bikers so I thought it was taken early in the morning, but the shadows show it was late in the day...

Mark and the boys at Eurotech have done great work on my collision jobs and an incredible job of matching the paint on my RS 10 years ago.
Old 08-03-2009, 10:33 AM
Arena993
Race Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Daltvater:

Nice paint. Dark metallic colors are tough and they did a wonderful job. I HATE HACKS!!!! That is why if I can do something myself I do. Enjoy that awesome car.

Mike
Old 08-03-2009, 10:54 AM
murfysflaw
Wallflower
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks great!

Can you tell me what color the wheels are done in? Powder coated or painted?
Old 08-03-2009, 03:54 PM
H.H.Chinn
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Mark Israel and Eurotech Autowerks has my highest recommendation! He reshot my front bumper, we waited 30 days and had AccuTint in Bellevue wrap it in clear film. Stone hits are inevitable, the film helps absorb the impact and severity of the hit. My SC was peppered in chips when I bought it. Drove me to the point where I had it repainted and subsequently wrapped in 3M material. It's been perfection ever since especially for darker color cars.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Second paint job in as many months (pics)