Sponsored by:

Replacing Front Bonnet Release

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2009, 11:34 PM
jhale
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing Front Bonnet Release

So, I went to open the front bonnet today and I heard a double release... one for the bonnet and the other for the release mechanism. It appears as is the plastic support finally gave way to end of the cable and it broke through the support. I have several broken plastic pieces to confirm that this is the part that broke. Does anyone have any experience replacing this mechanism and/or a part #?

Thanks for any help and guidance.

JH
Old 08-02-2009, 10:20 AM
Jeff96-993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can you share pics of the part(s) that broke? I, and others here, can take a look at PET and provide a p/n for you.
Old 08-02-2009, 05:54 PM
jhale
Pro

OK. I took some pictures of the broken part and I believe the part # is 964.538.101 The back of the release plate essentially broke inwards allowing the grommet on the wire to move inward without any resistance. I looked at the release lever and I cannot figure out how to remove the wire from the lever.

I decided that I needed some additional play in the wire to possibly thread the cable out of its housing. Unfortunately, this resulted in another problem. The screw head that holds the bonnet wire in place broke.

So now, I'm at a loss on how to replace the release lever. Does anyone know how to remove the wire from the inside release handle? It seems as if I have to release the tension in the wire from the trunk latch and feed the wire backwards to remove.

Any help/suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Jon
Attached Images   
Old 08-02-2009, 07:36 PM
Jeff96-993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Here's a PET breakdown of that area... I couldn't tell from the pics.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
latch.pdf (36.0 KB, 185 views)
Old 08-02-2009, 07:48 PM
jhale
Pro

Jeff,

Thank you very much for sending over the PET file. It looks to be part # 26 in the catalog that gave way. Now I need to find someone that has replaced this part and/or has any idea how to get the cable out of the housing. I tried desperately to remove the pin holding the handle (Part #25) in place but I couldn't get it to budge. Any idea of a tool that would push the dowel out in a small space?

Thanks again Jeff.

Jon
Old 08-02-2009, 09:47 PM
Jeff96-993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Jon, I'll take a look at my latch tomorrow to see if there's any suggestions I can offer.

Any chance you can pull the whole latch mechanism lose? Does removing those two big bolts in your pics give you a better option for removing the cable?

Quick Reply: Replacing Front Bonnet Release