Old 08-03-2009, 10:53 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 100 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by striker27
The cars are mass produced now. The numbers will grow. What can you say prices will continue to drop! The motor problem does not occur with every car built. If you have one drive it and enjoy it. When it breaks simply fix it. If you cannot afford to do that you should have never bought the damn thing!!!!
This is very true but the thing is, one steps-up to buy a high quality sports car only to be faced quite the opposite. Sports cars have always had the stigma of 'high maintenance', which the water cooled 911's are really not. However, major assembly replacements is not anticipated nor should it be expected.
Old 08-03-2009, 01:14 PM
Rinty
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

...do something nice for it...race911
I've been giving mine a good workout, here in the Kootenays. Hopefully, we can get home, as there are fuel shortages in parts of Alberta and B.C. A big storm took out a catalytic cracker in Edmonton.
Old 08-03-2009, 04:04 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by striker27
When it breaks simply fix it. If you cannot afford to do that you should have never bought the damn thing!!!!
This is what irritates me. You can't "simply fix it" with water cooleds major internal engine issues. Things get destroyed. While the knowledge to do so has worked its way into the mainstream, the cores to scrounge things from, let alone new parts availability, is iffy. Porsche kept this locked down for years.

Absent an air cooled 911 running out of oil and throwing a rod, I'm not sure I've ever replaced a crankcase on a street 911 engine rebuild. (Exception: a 2.7 case being junk after a botched timeserting job on the first rebuild.)

The "can't afford to fix it" line is absurd. I couldn't afford to fix (read: pay a repair shop) the holed piston on my '68 when I was 18. So I figured out how to do it myself. Lifetime of enjoyment and friends have been a wonderful byproduct.
Old 08-03-2009, 05:45 PM
Stuttgart951
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JDHertz11
So... You buy a 996... Track the **** out of it... Try to blame a repair shop for the damages... PLEASE take responsibility for your actions... This is what is wrong with our society... I bought a 944 Turbo because of the reliability issues with the 996. I could have built a 996 for less than the 944...
While I agree with your basic premise, and lord knows that "accountability" is a dirty word these days, all we know is that the engine grenaded *at* the track.

Otherwise, we have no idea of the car's usage history. Could have been purchased last week.

Either way, in the case of the issues with M96 motors, I think more blame lies with Porsche than any owner.

Years ago, the running joke was that tracking your 911/964/993 was good for it's mechanical health. It would run like a top after a good thrashing! From 1999 onwards, it seems that taking your 996 to the track is kinda like jumping out of an airplane with a parachute packed by a monkey; you might have a blast or you might pay for one.
Old 08-03-2009, 08:03 PM
Blaine S
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Stealth 993
That sucks! For $16k we would get one hell of a 3.8 built!!
True, and what amazes me is that a 993 engine from Porsche is north of $40k these days. Luckily it really doesn't matter since they can be rebuilt for eternity.
Old 08-03-2009, 08:33 PM
CP
Race Director

Received 334 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by TRINITONY
go to the 996 board - do a search on 'bob porsche' - and sit back and have a drink..

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...-99-996-a.html
Da**. The thread is closed!!!???

I was just going to post my OWN experience. You see, I just bought this Ford at this Porsche dealership........

CP

Quick Reply: Go hug your 993 today